Dog Trailers

My OH is looking at building me/buying and re-fabricating a dog trailer. I want something with a wardrobe so that I can fit my show trolley in it which is quite large (I bought it so that I could fit both my Husky and Lappie in it) and the gazebo, though the gazebo isn't quite as important to fit in. I thought about having it underneath the dogs, but I am worried that it might make the actual dog compartments too high up for the dogs to jump in and out of safely. Is anyone able to show me some photos of their setups?

Also what other must-haves are there that I might not have thought of? We want to have double doors so that the outer doors can be opened when the trailer is stopped, and obviously well insulated.

Thanks!

There were a number of threads on Dog Trailers, I don't know how to post them here maybe somebody could help you with that. :confused:

I would definitely recommend a wardrobe and a good size one that can take lots of gear also with a tall door on it. It is always better to have to much room than not enough.

What size trailer are you looking at?

edited to add - Have a look around at a show at the trailers and get an idea about some of the setups that you see. I have seen some great setups that are really simple ideas but give great benefit!

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

OH wants a 2 berth, I want a 4 berth. He is swearing that there is no way we're getting any more dogs than that, I replied that I want to be able to transport extra dogs if I need to and having the extra two berths will give us more room. We don't want it to be huge though and our dogs aren't big.

Will have a look around at others trailers this weekend coming. :)

OH wants a 2 berth, I want a 4 berth. He is swearing that there is no way we're getting any more dogs than that, I replied that I want to be able to transport extra dogs if I need to and having the extra two berths will give us more room. We don't want it to be huge though and our dogs aren't big.

Go with 4. We always use one bay for gear, and we usually end up taking someone else's dog or dogs with us when we go away. A 4 berth can be quite a nice size trailer and are probably easier to come across than a 2.

My husband converted an old cmaping trailer. We brought two large dog crates and secured them at the back near the double doors so doors can be open and dogs are in crates. On the side is a side door and there is enough space in forn tof crates for all our gear, I also have a tool box attached on front where we keep the smaller items, dog box, stove, leads, toys etc.

Will get some photos when it gets home from its camping trip. I show rottis and they fit comfortably. I have just added a third to our team and we are looking at buying a toledo but for now the two pups can go in one crate for the drive to the canine grounds or one in the car if neccessary. I ratchet tie the gazebo onto the tool box onfront as its a 6 by 3 oztraila nd slightly to long to fit lengthways in the trailer. I wouldn't put it sideways as its too ehavy for the crates and it would rest on this.

There is ample room inside for 4 crates folded up, another tool box, chairs, mats, blankets, gas bottles etc etc and often room to spare :D

I have a 2 berth and would dearly love a 4 - as suggested wonder around the shows and point out to him the advantages of having extra space and it will keep the car cleaner.

Go with 4. We always use one bay for gear, and we usually end up taking someone else's dog or dogs with us when we go away. A 4 berth can be quite a nice size trailer and are probably easier to come across than a 2.

I agree. They aren't that much bigger or heavier and are probably easier to buy and sell.

Don't forget that a trolley rack on the front or back of the trailer can take a bit of heat off stowing trolleys in the wardrobe. If you do that and take a divider out of 2 berths in a 4 berth trialer, that gives you way more storage than a wardrobe provides.

Toledo do three sizes of 4 birth - something to keep in mind.

Go the 4-berth :)

I usually only show one dog and I have a 4-berth trailer. It comes in handy for weekends away - the dog goes in one berth and the camping gear goes in the others. Sometimes I will take along an extra dog to show for my breeder. We also carpool - last weekend three of us travelled up north to show, with 7 dogs between us. We took my trailer so the extra berths come in very handy.

I have a trolley rack, no real need for a wardrobe. Anything that doesn't fit in the trailer goes in the back of my ute. My dividers are also removable so I can convert the 4 berths to 2 larger ones.

Definitely go for the 4 berth. They are easier to find, easier to sell when you need to and they offer more space, of which you will always want more of.

A wardrobe is great for putting stuff in that you don't want to get wet and or leave smaller stuff in, also it does allow you the option of using it for another dog should you need to.

If is amazing some of the setups you see. You see some great ideas of what others have done to modify their trailers to suit their needs. No doubt after having a good look about you will go away with some kind of idea what will really suit you. ;)