Barking Staffy At Night

My wife and I own a 2 year old staffy called Buster. During the day when we are both at work, Buster has the backyard to play in and also a doggy door through which he can access the rear part of our house.

Our neighbour mentioned tonight that once darkness falls, Buster stands in the backyard barking. He often stops when they pop their heads over the fence and have a chat to him, but otherwise he will bark.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to stop him barking at night? We usually get home from work around 6-6.30.

My wife and I own a 2 year old staffy called Buster. During the day when we are both at work, Buster has the backyard to play in and also a doggy door through which he can access the rear part of our house.

Our neighbour mentioned tonight that once darkness falls, Buster stands in the backyard barking. He often stops when they pop their heads over the fence and have a chat to him, but otherwise he will bark.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to stop him barking at night? We usually get home from work around 6-6.30.

Yes, crate him indoors at night.

Try to figure out WHY he's barking before worrying about how to stop it. What sort of barking is it - continuous warning barking or more a 'hey where are you' bark?

What is different about your yard once it gets dark - bats arrive? neighbour over the back lets their dog out? neighbour's kids start playing in a room near your fence? Someone's cat turns up?

Without knowing why he's barking or even what sort of barking it is, no one here can even hazard a guess at the best way to stop it.

Yes, crate him indoors at night.

Sorry - should have been clearer. He stops barking as soon as my wife or I get home from work. He only barks during the period from when it gets dark to when we get home (generally between 30mins-1 hour).

Try to figure out WHY he's barking before worrying about how to stop it. What sort of barking is it - continuous warning barking or more a 'hey where are you' bark?

What is different about your yard once it gets dark - bats arrive? neighbour over the back lets their dog out? neighbour's kids start playing in a room near your fence? Someone's cat turns up?

Without knowing why he's barking or even what sort of barking it is, no one here can even hazard a guess at the best way to stop it.

Other than the dark coming on I don't really know. There aren't any bats around, there are always cats around but he doesn't bark non-stop at them during the day, he doesn't bark at humans...it's quite a mystery. It may be a matter of training him over the weekend when we are at home as darkness falls, and scold him when he barks and reward him when he is quite.

The basis behind barking can sometimes be more complex than what we give credit for and a good part of the solution is to work through what might be the cause.

Is it boredom? (Is he well exercised AND mentally stimulated?)

Is it inadvertent reinforcement? (He barks because he doesn't like to be alone. Neighbours stick their heads over the fence and/or you come out to tell him not to.) Do the neighbours come home at a certain time and he hears them, and expects them to poke their heads over the fence?

Is he anticipating your imminent arrival home?

May just be he doesn't like the dark, my staffy barks when I let her out at night for a wee break, pretty much without fail. She's a scaredy cat though. :laugh:

Maybe you could put a sensor light on out the back, so it comes on once it's dark? Might help.

maybe he knows you are going to be home soon ...and is all excited ?

Could well be - Staffies are pretty cluey.

My Toller barks at the birds roosting and that starts about 5/5.30. We are lucky in that there's someone here to lock him inside until that period is over, but it's very self rewarding for him.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller