Breed Suggestions Wanted Please

If you can live with the shedding (& it is pretty full-on), a GR sounds perfect.

I have yet to meet one that doesn't have a happy, loving disposition. :)

My Goldie is fabulous with both my cat and kids.

From the ones that I have met, I feel that GRs are very similar to spaniels, the same type of happy go lucky, people dogs.

If you are concerned about a boisterous pup around a baby, do as I did and adopt an older one! Trust me, you won't regret it. ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its something that I really don't understand, clipping dogs whose natural coats are there for a purpose. I don't mean to offend, but it would seem a shame to have one of those two breeds that have the most beautiful flowing coats and then to clip them.

Mind you I could have the wrong end of the stick here and misinterpreted your post. Put me in my place if I have. :laugh:

I agree. Sunnyflower if clipping out the dog every summer is the plan, I'd not go a GR or Flat Coat. Get a dog with shorter hair.

..............Reading through again,it seems you and fiancee have quite different likes as to breeds,Have you changed your mind about the Vizsla? My neighbour has one and he is so well trained and quiet indoors.I think a Vizsla would be good with a cat;so maybe they would be good living with a cavalier? So you could get another cavalier for you and a Vizsla for your Partner.If he is prepared to train and help to look after the dogs with you i think it would work.

-What do you think about 2 dogs?

Edited by budgiew

Its something that I really don't understand, clipping dogs whose natural coats are there for a purpose. I don't mean to offend, but it would seem a shame to have one of those two breeds that have the most beautiful flowing coats and then to clip them.

Mind you I could have the wrong end of the stick here and misinterpreted your post. Put me in my place if I have. :laugh:

I agree. Sunnyflower if clipping out the dog every summer is the plan, I'd not go a GR or Flat Coat. Get a dog with shorter hair.

Now, I know it's contentious, and its not something that I personally would do have done (yet), but I have met several goldies who are regularly clipped and it hasn't done them any harm. I have been envious when told the huge difference it has made to the hair around the house.

I decided on a GR wholly for the temperament and if the shedding is a deciding factor then I don't have a problem with them being clipped.

Sunnyflower, first I wanted to say I am so very sad to read about Oscar, but I am sure he knows you love him and will do the right thing by him when his time comes. That is one of the greatest gifts we can give as a dog owner, unselfishly knowing when the time is right to let them have their wings.

As regards timing of the dog, my fifty cents would be to wait until your baby arrives and see how things are going with being a mum. Children and dogs can be great together, but I have so many friends who thought a baby and a dog would be easy and things would not change for the dog when bub arrives. But they do. The reality is bub of course has to take priority and (I am not sure if this is your first) a first child in particular is going to keep your tired, constantly looking out for their welfare.

If you are set on having both at the same time, Dee Lee's suggestion of an older dog is a good one. I know she had only good things to asy about Golden Retriever rescue, would you consider an older rescue who might have come from a family?

With an older dog you would also have a more certain personality. There is a lady at my park who breeds goldens and reguarly brings 5+ beautiful dogs up there. Of them only one is what I would call a real snugglebum seeking out attention like a cav. One in particular is quite aloof. Obviously I don't know what they are like at home they might be quite different but I am sure that there can be variety in personality and with a small child you would want to make sure you had a dog that was able to deal with a toddler etc.

Anyway that's just my fifty cents worth. We grew up with welsh springers, great dogs, but not like cavs. Can't think of another spaniel that is like a cav really. I love cavs will probably have one one day and they have a personality all of their own :)

Finnish Lapphund. Greta on here has Cavs and a Lappie. Seems like two breeds in the same ballpark. Mind you, I woke up the other morning choking on Lappie hair that had somehow worked its way to the back of my throat. That kind of thing doesn't seem to happen with shorter Vallhund hair. OH and I joke that Kivi carefully puts strands of hair all over the house in unlikely places. I don't find that he drops a lot of hair, and when he's shedding it tends to stay in his coat until I comb it out, but you only need one in your pumpkin risotto to be like "What the?? Arg!" I can only assume I ingest a lot of Vallhund hair because it's not long enough to notice when you've got some in your food. Anyway, those Lappies are very sweet, gentle and cuddly. Great with kids, nice size, easy to meet exercise requirements, and very easy to live with. Except when Kivi does his "Kivi can't go to bed because his legs are broken." routine. He becomes a sack of potatoes and OH and I have in the past picked up one end each and carried him slung between us. We thought it might make him think twice about the broken legs routine, but he didn't seem to mind being dragged around like a carcass. He played the part well and when we let him go he continued to play the part well and flopped on the ground still giving us the "Haha, Kivi's legs are still broken" look. He has a mischievous streak, that dog.

Sorry to hear about your boy :( I thought "Goldie" reading your original post. Or maybe a show type cocker pup? I know some very sweet and cuddly cockers. Not a working one, my friend has a 6 months working cocker pup and she is a mega full on busy girl :) I have 3 border collies but I have always like the sounds of the Vizsla as well with the description of them being a "velcro dog". The flat coats I know (not very many granted) seem more boisterous than your average goldie so might be harder with a small child.

Cocker Spaniel/Golden Retriever as others have pointed out would be good I think, that said the only thing that can truly replace a CKCS is another CKCS :) Now that I have them in my life I don't think I could ever be without one.

Depending just how big you want to go, a Bernese Mountain Dog would suit you very well. They are happy, fun-loving dogs, very eager to please, and have to be with you whenever they possibly can.

Missymoo - Thank you :).. I do like the look of Brittany's, shall do my research though.

Benshiva - Thank you :). I do love Cockers and before my Pop started breeding and showing Cardigan Corgi's he had cockers but his last one got stolen and it was his favourite one and couldn't bear to have another! I'm not sure Cockers are for us though.

DBT - Italian Spinone. Sounds like an interesting dog. Shall do some reading.

SmoothieGirl - Thank you, it is a really horrible time but I to a degree have found a little peace in the decision which is why I am going to stop fighting it for him! He seems ok and better but he will only ever get worse so I don't want to prolong the inevitable when we he still has some pain.

Regarding the clipping of the dog it's not something I would initially set out to do but if it came down too it or simply got too hot! I was told to never clip Oscar and their coat is very similar coat and Oscar wasn't handling the heat so I clipped him the last two summers and there was relief for him straight away and there was hardly any hair around the house. It does no harm and hasn't destroyed his coat!

My brother & sis in law clip their Golden Jeda with no issues and has since she was young and she is now 8 and so does her parents with their golden.

Dee Lee - We currently do live with the shedding laugh.gif so it will be nothing new! The broom rarely comes out except for when I know people are coming over! Hence why I got a non shedding cat.. Ahhh it's awesome!

We want a familiar friendly dog and I do feel as though a Golden will be all that.

Budgiew - This is the current discussion of me getting another Cav and we get the Vizsla later on as I want a Vizsla, I am the one that got him interested in the breed. Vizsla's are wonderful dogs but even the most beautifully trained Vizslas/dogs need a lot from their owners, they are quite demanding dogs. I like things in pairs for some reason I work well so one dog and one cat seems to work nicely for me so I want to get the right dog next that if it ends up as an only child we are happy with our choice.

My fiancee had a Golden until he was 3 and as his Dad's a pilot they moved to the UK and he has only had cats since. He will give the training a good hard crack but I will always be the main carer of our animals, I've grown up with most animals and it's just my forte.

Quickasyoucansay - Thank you :) I am hearing myself say it is the one of the kindest things we can do for our four legged friends but I don't know how much I believe it but I don't want him in pain and our intervention hasn't helped that to the level it should!

Regarding timing - As stated we AREN'T rushing out to get a puppy tomorrow. I have a time frame I am happy for a new dog to come in before bub and if the right pup doesn't come up in that time frame then it waits till around Christmas. At this stage I am doing my research and wanting thoughts on breeds as I have grown up with a lot of breeds but aside from a Cavalier the others I have grown up with have varied from Maltese, Shih tzu - Kelpie - Boxer - Pitbull (Prior to BSL) an I'd love a boxer but that too comes under Vizsla and I don't want/can't have the other breeds.

We will only bring a puppy in. I used to foster and volunteer in rescue so it's not something I haven't thought of but I want a puppy my fiancee wants a puppy so a puppy it is. I also want to choose the breeder as to where it comes from as it HAS to be the right breeder as I want to try and avoid the same avoidable health problems we are going through with Oscar.

Showdog - I will look up the Welsh Springer. I do think I have looked at these before and liking them.

Corvus - laugh.gif Kivi sounds like a very entertaining dog.. Marcus loves the look of Huskies and Lappies look similar so I shall show him!

CK - I love Cockers but I don't think they are for us. I too love the description of Velcro dog which is what has drawn us to them. I had the pleasure of 'trialling' a 16 month old male Vizsla last year from a top breeder and despite it not working out with him and Oscar he was just divine! And the breeder was amazing too and could not have been a more honest advocate for the breed.

Tom - I said the same but having to give my boy his wings weeks before his 3rd birthday has not only taught me a very hard and expensive lesson but I am a very sentimental person and as much as I want another Cav I don't know if I can just replace that closely.

MRB - I like the sounds of the Welsh Springer.. I was only looking deeply into Oscar's eyes before and melted in his beautiful eyes. He probably thought I was a freak but he already knows that.. laugh.gif

Cassie - LOVE LOVE LOVE the Bernese. My dream dog is a Greater Swiss and I have fallen for the Bernese. Marcus likes the Greater Swiss has he isn't a fan of the long hair but I think I could sway him... I have felt Jealous of you and your boy on a few occasions. laugh.gif

Budgiew - If we are going to get a Pointer we may as well get a Vizsla. We haven't ruled out getting another Cav but would possibly like a bigger dog with similar disposition!!

Now, I know it's contentious, and its not something that I personally would do have done (yet), but I have met several goldies who are regularly clipped and it hasn't done them any harm. I have been envious when told the huge difference it has made to the hair around the house.

I decided on a GR wholly for the temperament and if the shedding is a deciding factor then I don't have a problem with them being clipped.

I can immediately think of two reasons not to do it - and they relate to removing the outer coat that protects the dog You leave them open to sunburn and to a non-weather proof coat that holds water. Personally I think it removes one of their most beautiful features also.

Most dogs benefit more from weight loss than coat clipping if over heating is an issue. Body mass retains heat. Dogs manage their heat issues differently to us in any event.

If you don't want to deal with a coated breed and the shedding and maintenance required the answer is simple - don't buy one.

Edited by poodlefan

RV & MTD - I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the spaniels however Marcus not so much! However he is a cat man and only likes guy looking dogs. I keep telling him he's not getting one laugh.gif. He does like to research the breeds I like though so I might get him to do this.

PF - You are definitely right and I won't be bringing anything in until after we have given Oscar his kisses. You are 100% right and I want to make the next couple of weeks the happiest weeks of his life. He maybe getting a little porky but I'm really not fussed!

I will definitely have a look at the Flat Coat Retriever. We'll sit down and have a read tonight and see what Marcus thinks. laugh.gif Whippets are beautiful dogs and I reckon I could do with some whippet therapy, I can see what Marcus would say though. Our old neighbour had one called Zip and she was so cute and bloody fast!!

Spotty - Thank you, he is laying next to me so at least for now he is happy, uncomfortable no doubt but he is with me.

I was saying to Marcus that Dalmatians can be a lot of dog and maybe for now probably come under the category of the Vizsla. The one he says 3 times a week is a 12 year old so he doesn't get to really see when they are in their prime. However the fact they get on with cats is a big thumbs up as Cino is Marcus's pride and joy and Cino is going to be seriously lost without Osc as they do literally everything together.

FFAK - Briard.. Never heard of them! I will do some reading. Are they as demanding as say a Vizsla?

Bjelkier - All the ones I have met have been done but beautiful dogs and very pleasant to be around. Marcus's parents got one when he was born and they were best friends. They have photos of him sleeping in her basket with her.

Becks - I have considered this and every other aspect of bringing a puppy in aside from having a baby and as said pending on the right dog is when it will come in. New pup either comes very soon or a couple of months after bub or around Christmas time. Sure babies are demanding and I am sure there are going to be times where the pup has to sit to the side for maybe that day or only for a few hours but I am not going to put a halt on everything in my life because of bub, I do deserve to have the happiness a dog brings in too.

My fiancee's Mum went BACK to work 3 weeks after he was born and took her with him, if it's in your mind and heart then anything can be done! I firmly believe that.

Sunnyflower I believe that a pup and a baby are not a problem, unless they arrive on the same day, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One time Missymoo had a litter and a new baby. :D :D :D :D

Plus, I question if cutting the hair actually results in less hair dropped. As someone who thinks it's time to go to the hairdresser when it starts to seem like there's more of my hair floating around the house and in the drains than there is on my head, I have to assume that the only real difference is that shorter hairs aren't as noticeable. I have tried, but I can't imagine how this would be any different for dogs. How would dogs with lots of hair shed less when their hair is cut shorter? Beware confirmation bias!

At least I know about it when I'm ingesting Lappie fur. ;)

Plus, I question if cutting the hair actually results in less hair dropped. As someone who thinks it's time to go to the hairdresser when it starts to seem like there's more of my hair floating around the house and in the drains than there is on my head, I have to assume that the only real difference is that shorter hairs aren't as noticeable. I have tried, but I can't imagine how this would be any different for dogs. How would dogs with lots of hair shed less when their hair is cut shorter? Beware confirmation bias!

At least I know about it when I'm ingesting Lappie fur. ;)

The several people I spoke to about it swore a huge difference after clipping. :shrug:

I cant personally vouch for that, but I did have an in-depth conversation about it each time and I was quite convinced by them.

I imagine you are right, the shedding of a clipped GR would be shorter and yes, much less noticeable.

With GRs, the long hair is not that hard to sweep up- it tends to form tumbleweeds- but over summer it can really pile up. Its not unusual for me to sweep 4 times a day and still find fresh hair. (Of course I do have black floorboards... :doh: ) The sheer volume is amazing. Shorter hair to sweep up would definitely be easier to live with.

PF- Surely a clipped, white poodle would have the same sunburn issues? :confused:

PF- Surely a clipped, white poodle would have the same sunburn issues? :confused:

The skin on a decent white poodle is black. Dont forget too that the coat is dense and curly. There's only one layer, not a top layer and undercoat.

You certainly don't tend to clip the white dogs as closely as the black ones.

Edited by poodlefan

I am another one that would vote for a Lapphund! There are some very quiet lines around that would be more than suitable.

ETA- She is very calm, but always has a wonderful big smile and tail wag for everyone she meets. She likes to be in the same room as me, but not clingy like my kelpies. She is happy to sit at home all day with me studying or going for a wander down to the park for a few hours. I guess she is the dog that I take everywhere with me because she isn't a hassle and just 'hangs out'. I have been well known to forget to put her in her crate at shows because she will curl up in a chair for a snooze. I loves her :)

Edited by ~Woofen~