• Sledding
    • Conformation showing
    • Schutzhund/Protection
    • Terrier/Earthdog trials
    • Other- please detail...
  2. 2. How competitive are you?

• just for fun
    • quite serious- looking to compete but have not yet acheived a title
    • I have titled my dog/s in one dog sport OR my dog competes at a high level
    • I have tittled my dog/s in more than one/numerous sports OR my dog/s compete at a high level in numerous sports
    • My dog/s is titled in at least one sport and we do at least one other sport just for fun
    • my dog is titled in at least one dog sport and we are working towards a title in at least one other dog sport
    • My life revolves around dogs sports!! lol
  3. 3. For those that have titled their dog- whats sports have you achieved this in?

Do you do dog sports with your dog?

Which Ones?

How obsessed are you :laugh:

NB. For questions 2 and 3- I realise that perhaps you can't get titles in all the sports listed, so for those sports in which there aren't really any titles- if you compete at a high level or you dog regularly wins at competitions, then I consider that to be "titled" for the purpose of the poll.

Can a dog be excellent at numerous dogs sports or does it depend on the sport?

Edited by aussielover

I got a bit carried away with the How Competitive Are You question as it depends on the sport for me, so made a few selections there laugh.gif

I trial in Obedience and Agility, titled in both. While both is for fun, I am more competitive with Obedience and a bit care-free with Agility.

I am also working towards trialling in Retrieving.

Edited by RubyStar

I do 3 sheep trials which is different to herding. There is also no titles for it.

But I am competetive at it.

I have titled other dogs in agility though as well

Edited by dasha

In the first question I ticked other as well - because I do Rally O with Rory. And in the second question, I realised I had to tick the last option as well :laugh: And the post reminded me to go and sock up cos I think I might do a training track with Rory on the way home from work. Obsessed? Addicted? :rofl: Whyever would you think that :rofl:

We compete in Flyball, Agility and Frisbee (because we can in Queensland).

The dogs are quite competitive in all 3 disciplines. (Well.......CK maybe a little less so in agility LOL.)

I think dog/handler teams can achieve in as many sports as the handler has time to do enough training in. Some sports take more training than others I guess.

Zig - obedience and agility/jumping - training, trialling and titled but we have a LONG way to go. I've also shown him but that's fallen by the wayside for a while now.

Em - retrieving (mainly), obedience, agility/jumping - training only (still a baby!)

Tracking and the ET are on my To Do list.

I take the training process very seriously but it's much more about fine-tuning my skills as a trainer (constant :hitself: ) and developing a relationship with my dogs than having expectations of them. Trialling shows me what else I need to work on. Quallies, ribbons, placings and titles are the icing on the cake. Zig and I had a tough day of trialling last weekend as we worked through a couple of problems - no quallies for us but so many positives that I came away feeling fantastic and I hope Zig did too.

Can a dog be excellent at numerous dogs sports or does it depend on the sport?

It depends on the sport, the trainer, the dog and how much time you have! I spend a LOT more time doing retrieving drills with Em but there are a few cross-overs with obedience, which will come in handy. A few retrieving people think it will confuse her to do multiple sports but I think they complement each other quite well.

ETA: I am quite competitive by nature but I try not to take it to the trialling ring as I would take myself too seriously. Ziggy picks up on it and crumbles. If I'm singing and smiling and relaxed he's a different dog.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I compete in agility with Kaos and we are doing well and have our Novice titles, have done obedience with Diesel with the aim to compete but with his health problems we didn't quite make it there.

Started trialling Darcy in obedience while I waited for her to make the age requirement for agility, did her CCD and then onto Agility. She's got multiple Masters titles in Agility & Jumping and we're working on games titles. I felt she was well and truly capable of going further with her obedience and it was kind of unfinished business so I put her through CD and CDX last year but I felt I blew a lot of time that I should've been working on agility. :o

Zee is my young dog, she's got her Novice Jumping title but I'm taking it easy with her as she's a very different dog to Darcy. Probably won't bother with obedience with her as agility is my preference and I find I struggle to find time to dedicate what I should to agility training, let alone obedience as well. :eek:

Have started agility and herding with Quinn. Quite serious about getting involved but we're only starting out, in future would also like to get into flyball and mabe obedience. If the oppurtunity came up would also like to try my hand at some sort of tracking or scent detection work (met someone this week thats trying to talk me into SAR)

And in future I'm very interested in some sort of protection sport but no rush on that and I'd take on a different breed. (I have an unhealthy adoration for Malinois but don't know if I could ever handle one)

Edited by B-Q

We are a jack of all trades here, I have my foot in everything :laugh:

I've competed in agility, obedience, flyball as well as showing. Obedience we did years ago and didn't go well due to my nerves and similar story with agility :laugh: The most successful sport we've had so far is flyball where they got to a National Champion level.

As well as those I am training in retrieving and tracking though neither is up to the stage of competing at the moment I think. Next year my youngest two will get their ET as well :)

We compete in Obedience, Flyball and Agility. They also show fairly regularly. Jedi has his ET and Ahsoka is entered for her ET this year.

We are also training in Herding and Tracking, but they are on the back-burner at the moment while they get more established in the other sports.

I am most competitive in Obedience, a little bit in Agility and Flyball is purely for fun!

I dable in a few different sports, purely for the fun of it, as I really enjoy being out with Lottie and having a good time with friends. I've competed in obedience, but my nerves are getting the better of me :( so i'm having a little break from it...

and i've also just entered out first jumpers trials for agility :D - super exited about that!!

I've also joined the local flyball club for a bit of fun, and we're both enjoying it!!

Then we do a little herding - will try and get to a couple trials this year and work a bit more on it.

And next year I plan on getting Lotties ET when she's old enough :D

I just love love love training and being out at comps, and i'm a little crazily obsessed - it's just a shame i'm a crap handler/trainer and I know we won't go very far because of it :( Ah well.....

Both dogs titled in Flyball and obedience here, I forgot to tick obedience in the poll though lol oops

Slightly obsessed with flyball, not so much with obed

Dogs both know elements of agility, but not enough to trial and I wont take away from flyball time to pursue agility more!

My dogs are titled in Agility and Flyball and we compete in these most weekends. We have a full set of trialling gear at home for agility and a full racing lane for flyball (plus another lane that has no box).

We have also started DWD with a few of them and are looking to enter our first comp once our routines are finalised.

The young pups (Whip 11months and Rush 6months) have seen sheep once and will be returning to the trainer again sometime in the near future.

Delta was trained up to Novice level Obedience but I never actually got into trialling with her, although that isn't ruled out for the future. A few of Tailwags dogs would probably be ready to trial too if it interested her.

My dogs also used to go to Lure-Coursing which they absolutely loved!

:laugh: I just noticed I could see who voted in what, so I checked out who elses life revolves around dog sports :laugh::thumbsup:

I was up at 4:30am on Saturday to leave home at 5am to get to a dog trial by 8am that I couldn't even run my dog in... I think that says how crazy I am :crazy::hitself:

:laugh: I just noticed I could see who voted in what, so I checked out who elses life revolves around dog sports :laugh::thumbsup:

I was up at 4:30am on Saturday to leave home at 5am to get to a dog trial by 8am that I couldn't even run my dog in... I think that says how crazy I am :crazy::hitself:

What's scary is that I didn't include myself in that category. I just thought I was normal :crazy::rofl:

What's scary is that I didn't include myself in that category. I just thought I was normal :crazy::rofl:

:laugh: You're not normal... just ask your work mates after you've told them that you're driving 8 hours (one way) for the second time in one month to compete with your dog, and you don't make any money out of it! They'll tell you you're crazy :D

Edited by FHRP

:laugh: You're not normal... just ask your work mates after you've told them that you're driving 8 hours (one way) for the second time in one month to compete with your dog, and you don't make any money out of it! They'll tell you you're crazy :D

:laugh: Or that having retired, you're now working 4 days a week in school terms to fund the doggy luxury addictions - like staying overnight in lovely dog-friendly/dogs inside cottage accommodation so that you don't have to get up at sparrow fart to drive a couple hours in fog and possibly ice to get to a trial. :rofl:

:laugh: Or that having retired, you're now working 4 days a week in school terms to fund the doggy luxury addictions - like staying overnight in lovely dog-friendly/dogs inside cottage accommodation so that you don't have to get up at sparrow fart to drive a couple hours in fog and possibly ice to get to a trial. :rofl:

Hmmm.....good point.....I told my PhD supervisors that I was going to take a much needed break from data collection/collation (human-dog interactions in animal shelters) and go away for a week. They asked what I was going to do and by the time I had rattled off meeting up with LL for retrieving training in Violet Town, then going onto Albury to camp with the dogs for an obedience seminar they were speechless apart from wanting to know why I didn't head off to somewhere sunny and lie by the pool???? :laugh: