Stand For Examination

We're really happy with our little guys progress (sit-stays, recall, heeling fantastic, etc, BUT...does anyone have any ideas how to get him to stand for examination CALMLY. Everytime we do this at obedience class he gets so excitetable he just about has a fit.

Dab of peanut butter on the wall, then get him used to being handled by different people while he licks it off. Then start to phase out the peanut butter, use some food in the hand instead.

Teach him the steady feet game. Start out in a sit and you focus only on his two front feet. Reward in position. You can also do the slow food delivery...very very slowly bring a tasty morsel closer and closer to his mouth. He will most likely move to reach and take the food at which point you dramatically snatch it away! He learns the only way to get the food is to stay still. When you do deliver the food make sure you put the food in his mouth and don't cause him to move at the last second. Progress to a stand and again focus only on his front feet to start. Split it up and work on one thing at a time. Don't introduce the examination until he can keep his feet still under progressively harder distractions ultimately not moving if food is thrown on the ground near him...that bit is pretty advanced so don't make him run before he can walk!

Another very important point is to ensure he has an on word and even more importantly an off word. That way he gets to move when you use your off word and not before. (I use "that'll do" but you can use "free" or whatever you like) Remember to be absolutely consistent.

Teach him the steady feet game. Start out in a sit and you focus only on his two front feet. Reward in position. You can also do the slow food delivery...very very slowly bring a tasty morsel closer and closer to his mouth. He will most likely move to reach and take the food at which point you dramatically snatch it away! He learns the only way to get the food is to stay still. When you do deliver the food make sure you put the food in his mouth and don't cause him to move at the last second. Progress to a stand and again focus only on his front feet to start. Split it up and work on one thing at a time. Don't introduce the examination until he can keep his feet still under progressively harder distractions ultimately not moving if food is thrown on the ground near him...that bit is pretty advanced so don't make him run before he can walk!

Another very important point is to ensure he has an on word and even more importantly an off word. That way he gets to move when you use your off word and not before. (I use "that'll do" but you can use "free" or whatever you like) Remember to be absolutely consistent.

Just pinched this - what a good explanation ;) Have to teach Toby SFE at some point.

Its great isn't it!!! I can't claim its mine...the Guru taught me this one :D

Just pinched this - what a good explanation ;) Have to teach Toby SFE at some point.

Hi,

you could also teach the stand for exam exercise with you standing beside the dog first, rather than leaving him/her.

This will give the dog some confidence in knowing he/she is going to be touched by the judge at the same time as having the confidence in knowing you are standing right beside him/her.

Then, as the dog gets used to it, you can start moving further away from the dog until you can complete the exercise at a lead's length.

M

Teach him the steady feet game. Start out in a sit and you focus only on his two front feet. Reward in position.

That is an excellent idea, and I am going to pinch it and use it! Why did I never think about introducing the SFE as a sit for exam? :laugh: