Bradshaw On The New Science Of Understanding Dog Behaviour

corvus

The two examples re pet dogs he gives are sensible. Like when dogs jump up, demanding attention, there's nothing like the BIG IGNORE (arms folded, facing away) to 'not reward' them by giving it to them. But when the dog is told to 'Sit' first, then it can get some attention.

Also I agree that dogs have to be taught to spend time alone at home, without getting anxious or demanding to have their owner back.

But, as someone points out in the Comments, a lot of this is not new & names another long-term, well-known writer about dog behaviour.

I notice that in Dr B's extended remarks that he gets in, on the UK-based 'bashing' of purebreds as 'wrecks'. Which came from a certain amount of over-generalisation and over-dramatisation for a TV program. At my feet is a Swedish-born purebred who has a lot of UK dogs in her pedigree. She's magnificent in looks, temperament & shining good health. The groomer continually asks what she's fed! Then answers her own question....'It's the breeding!"

OK that's just one dog, but it shows that all generalisations can be false.

Edited by mita

But, as someone points out in the Comments, a lot of this is not new ...

I agree. Also, the "ignore" (which I prescribe to as well) is not always successful on its own. So whilst I might agree with what he's saying, it is pretty basic stuff but a reasonable recipe for the novice dog owner.

ETA: I don't agree that we should disregard that our domestic dogs evolved from Wolves.

Edited by Erny

[i agree. Also, the "ignore" (which I prescribe to as well) is not always successful on its own. So whilst I might agree with what he's saying, it is pretty basic stuff but a reasonable recipe for the novice dog owner.

And I agree back. :) The ignoring bit just teaches the dog what will not work for getting attention. It has to be paired with the dog learning to earn 'good things', like attention, on the owner's call & command.' I find with the tibs that the penny soon drops...only time they'll get attention is when bottom is on the ground. So they give up, jumping up. And bottoms start hitting the ground!

Same approach for teaching children. Negative rules tell what not to do, but what counts is learning what to do.

I find with the tibs that the penny soon drops...only time they'll get attention is when bottom is on the ground. So they give up, jumping up. And bottoms start hitting the ground!

And I agree there too, Mita. It can go even further, though, for some other dogs. Take for example a large breed dog 40kg or more. Sometimes the act of the dog jumping unavoidably causing the owner to move (for balance) is enough reinforcement. There would be more examples. "Ignoring" unwanted behaviour is not the bee all and end all, IME. It is an excellent tactic to employ but sometimes the contrast between what will get the dog good things and what will not needs a little more clarity.

Edited by Erny

I agree with Erny -

sometimes ignore isn't enough for a number of reasons which she has already mostly detailed.

It also relies on you having 100% control of the people who associate with your dog- you may have friends or family members who sometimes "forget" to ignore the dog and therefore accidently reward it.

He doesn't seem to agree with breeding purebred dogs either.

There was some interesting talk about purebred dogs and genetic diversity as well. His new book that is out might be worth a read. Trish McConnell says on her blog she has been getting a lot out of it.

I think we can't judge him on a few training tidbits in an interview. One can't distill everything they know about dog training into 37 minutes. He knows a lot. His research group does some very good work, very well respected. He sends some kudos our way at one point. ;)

Yep, Erny, good point about size of dog. I'm used to dealing with dainty shelties & tibbies. :)

And another fair point, Corvus, :) it could help to look further into his work than the bits in that article. As to genetic diversity, I'm used to dealing with a breed where there's international cooperation by the breeders, in widening bloodlines.