Backyard Breeders

toy dog

just heard something a bit strange the other day, while waiting for the vet to attend to us, a couple came in and were carrying a small fluffy cross breed puppy, toy poodle cross they said......

ask nurse have you any di-vetelact? she said how old is the puppy? they go 6 weeks. my mother goes, uh oh, the nurse had a very big scowl on her face. lol

but apparently these people got advised by the breeder to put the 6 wo puppy on this milk supplement, he has not been weaned and is not fully off mum and apparently no attempt had been made so how long they were planning to put poor pup on this milk supplement is anyone's guess. milk supplement is for mum if she has no milk or low in supply etc. to help wean your baby off. not to fully put the pup on this.

these people have never owned a puppy before.

these backyarders know nothing and should not be doing this rearing of pups they have no idea and yet are advising new puppy owners.

i just think people like this that go to a supposedly "breeder" (not a breeder just a person who has mated their pets together for $$) are encouraging through their ignorance for this "breeder" to breed up even more poor misfortunate dogs into this world.

wasn't game to ask how much they paid for a cross breed of this combination. probably about $500 to $800. when we sell our pedigrees for that.

:mad makes me very angry when these ppl who call themselves breeders are giving the wrong advice as well.

Edited by toy dog

just heard something a bit strange the other day, while waiting for the vet to attend to us, a couple came in and were carrying a small fluffy cross breed puppy, toy poodle cross they said......

ask nurse have you any di-vetelact? she said how old is the puppy? they go 6 weeks. my mother goes, uh oh, the nurse had a very big scowl on her face. lol

but apparently these people got advised by the breeder to put the 6 wo puppy on this milk supplement, he has not been weaned and is not fully off mum and apparently no attempt had been made so how long they were planning to put poor pup on this milk supplement is anyone's guess. milk supplement is for mum if she has no milk or low in supply etc. to help wean your baby off. not to fully put the pup on this.

these backyarders know nothing and should not be doing this rearing of pups they have no idea and yet are advising new puppy owners.

i just think people like this that go to a supposedly "breeder" (not a breeder just a person who has mated their pets together for $$) are encouraging through their ignorance for this "breeder" to breed up even more poor misfortunate dogs into this world.

wasn't game to ask how much they paid for a cross breed of this combination. probably about $500 to $800. when we sell our pedigrees for that.

:mad makes me very angry when these ppl who call themselves breeders are giving the wrong advice as well.

I am trying to understand the bolded part of your post. Di Vetelact is a weaning supplement for young puppies. In my opinion I cant see any thing wrong with weaning a six week old puppy. This may be being done because the bitches milk supply is drying up. It may be that the puppies are not thriving but need more sustanance. This is a recommended supplement.

If fed a correct diet a lactacting mum shouldnt need a milk supplement. Milk doesnt make milk. Water does.

You said these people got advised by the breeder to put the puppy on this formula, but that the puppy was not fully weaned??????

If these people have the puppy(we shant go into the fact that the puppy is to young to of gone to a home)then they have gone about the right thing and are sourcing a good supplement.

Or maybe I am missing the whole point of what you are saying.

Are you saying that this supplement is no good for weaning? If that is the case then please explain , why not?

I think she is saying that the 'breeders' are horrible and should not have bred this litter, let alone give away an unweaned puppy at 6 weeks of age?

i have seen people come into work with dogs up to 12 weeks old asking if it is ok to put them on real food, they all they have been feeding is milk and weetbix :(

If the puppy is 6 weeks old its weaned enough to leave Mum and the product is used and recommended to suppliment the puppies.Lots of breeders recommend this to be given when the puppies go home if thats what they have been weaned on. Many registered breeders wean their puppies way earlier than 6 weeks to "save the bitch"

I bought a puppy once off a registered breeder who had been breeding purebred puppies for 30 years . It arrived at my house at 8 weeks and when I said what have you been feeding it the answer was - nothing other than goats milk and weetbix

In fact when we started the courses with the MDBA we were a bit embarrassed asking experienced registered breeders to do the introductory course but we soon found out that no group has a monopoly on not knowing it all.

Take a good look at the nutritional content of this product and throw in an egg or two and some oats or weet bix - are you sure your high priced commercial puppy food is any better for a young pup?

Dont we advise the owner to follow the breeders advice based on what the pup has been weaned on when it first goes home? Im having a hard time seeing the problem.

Edited by Steve

I think she is saying that the breeder didn't even bother to wean the puppy properly, and it was obviously still feeding off mum quite a bit if they said it still needs formula. There is nothing wrong with weaning a 6 week old puppy, but taking it straight off the mum and sending it to a new home is not weaning...

I think she is saying that the breeder didn't even bother to wean the puppy properly, and it was obviously still feeding off mum quite a bit if they said it still needs formula. There is nothing wrong with weaning a 6 week old puppy, but taking it straight off the mum and sending it to a new home is not weaning...

That's how I read it, too. I usually start weaning my puppies at 4 weeks (because Standards have such large litters) but there is NO WAY I would let a 6 week old puppy go to a new home, and NO WAY I would send a puppy to a new home if it wasn't well-used to solid food. :mad

I guess I am reading the bolded parts all wrong then or in the wrong context :confused:

A pup should never go at 6 weeks that is true, but at least the new owners have asked for some help.

Although I do not agree with puppies going to new homes at 6 weeks, most puppies would be weaned by 6 weeks.

Di vetelact is a supplement for puppies, not that a 6 week old would neccessarily need it.

I agree it very poor form to send an unweaned puppy to its new home though :(

I feel sorry for pups that young being weaned ( that should read , taken off their mothers and rehomed ). I can't for the life of me think why people are in such a hurry to do it. Leave the bitch to make the decision, offer the pups solids around 3-4 weeks of age and they'll take care of it on their own. Come eight weeks, the bitch has usually had enough, the pups have learnt to eat and drink on their own and are ready to leave home.

I feel sorry for pups that young being weaned ( that should read , taken off their mothers and rehomed ). I can't for the life of me think why people are in such a hurry to do it. Leave the bitch to make the decision, offer the pups solids around 3-4 weeks of age and they'll take care of it on their own. Come eight weeks, the bitch has usually had enough, the pups have learnt to eat and drink on their own and are ready to leave home.

I agree with this.

You havent worked that one out yet??

Given that it is a cross bred litter from a BYB they obviously couldnt wait to find homes for the puppies. Why spend more money looking after them and weaning them properly when you can flog them off to unsuspecting owners

Sad isnt it :(

I am trying to understand the bolded part of your post. Di Vetelact is a weaning supplement for young puppies. In my opinion I cant see any thing wrong with weaning a six week old puppy. This may be being done because the bitches milk supply is drying up. It may be that the puppies are not thriving but need more sustanance. This is a recommended supplement.

If fed a correct diet a lactacting mum shouldnt need a milk supplement. Milk doesnt make milk. Water does.

You said these people got advised by the breeder to put the puppy on this formula, but that the puppy was not fully weaned??????

If these people have the puppy(we shant go into the fact that the puppy is to young to of gone to a home)then they have gone about the right thing and are sourcing a good supplement.

Or maybe I am missing the whole point of what you are saying.

Are you saying that this supplement is no good for weaning? If that is the case then please explain , why not?

i can't agree more with you when you explain about what the milk supplement is used for and how the mother makes milk etc. however this is not my point.

what im saying maybe i didn't make it clear i do sometimes have a habit of doing that even when im speaking to people sometimes they do tend to go "eh :confused: " im afraid with me, most are saying they think im saying this or that, :) the puppy was not weaned at all the way we heard it that is why the nurse was asking questions as to why use in the first place, the breeder told these people to put it straight onto the supplement so solids aren't even in the equation. 6 weeks is rather young. but it is young for a puppy who hasn't even started the process of being weaned onto solids.

im not saying anything about the supplement and whether it is good or not good, the focus is on the puppy who hasn't been weaned off the mother at all.

i was going to say this in the other thread, some breeders are saying they take the pups off the bitch at 6 weeks but we have found for many years that the bitch and pups make the decision for you quite naturally as the last few litters the pups have always started eating the dams food on their own and learning to lap on their own, and they follow the natural order of things to get to an age where they don't suck on the dam anymore. i've had chloe our main bitch that is a really good mum she loves to sleep with her sons and daughters one son she slept with until he was 3 and i never really separated or had to force things they worked it out themselves.

should explain that with chihuahuas they very much like to sleep all together quite often you see 3 or 4 in the same bed. :laugh: or if you pick up a carrier to take to a show you will get 5 try to jump in the carrier at the same time and they fit in a little tranport carrier quite easily being a very small dog.

Edited by toy dog

Given that it is a cross bred litter from a BYB they obviously couldnt wait to find homes for the puppies. Why spend more money looking after them and weaning them properly when you can flog them off to unsuspecting owners

my grandmother wanted a chihuahua this was about 25 years ago so my cousin went to a petshop and got a "chihuahua" ended up being a fox terrier cross kelpie, but we worked out the puppy was only 5 weeks old it could hardly stand maybe even younger than that, they flogged it off as a chi when it was only a baby to create the illusion it was a small chihuahua. i don't think Cindy as we named her, was quite weaned properly. She lived to 17 BTW. tough as nails but not a chihuahua not one bit of her was a chihuahua. :)

That's how I read it, too. I usually start weaning my puppies at 4 weeks (because Standards have such large litters) but there is NO WAY I would let a 6 week old puppy go to a new home, and NO WAY I would send a puppy to a new home if it wasn't well-used to solid food. :mad

we start at this age too with our little breed by 6 weeks they are usually eating and almost fully weaned.

But it's not just BYBer's that do it. There seems to be a rush for many registered breeders to do it as well. It's like their badge of honour and it's a race to see who can get the pups off their bitches first.