Pet Friendly Rental Properties In Wollongong

Brus84

Hello my wife and I are moving to Wollongong from New Zealand and have a weimaraner. I was wondering if any one knows of any rental properties that allow dog or a area that most places will accept dog. If any one has any info please let me know. Thank you

Hi Brus84,

I live in the Wollongong area and there are heaps of off-leash dog parks and dog friendly areas around.

Can't really help with the rental question though; your best bet would be to contact real estate agents and let them know you're looking for dog friendly rental properties. Other than that, you could look a purchasing a house, which would of course depend on your financial capabilities. There are lots of lovely suburbs around the Illawarra and most of them are about 15 to 20 minutes from the Wollongong CBD.

Personally I'd steer clear of the Northern suburbs (Austinmer, Thirroul etc) and also around the Shellharbour area (including Blackbutt) as they're quite pricey.

Hope that helps some and welcome to the Illawarra and DOL! :D

Hi there! Welcome to DOL.

I moved to the Sutherland Shire in January but lived in Wollongong for about three years.

We are currently dogless but we rented through Southern Estates Wollongong with two cats and a bird. They are not your standard real estate that has a blanket no pets policy, they are quite accommodating and really helped us out in finding a place. They treated us fantastically while we rented from them and I couldn't recommend them more. If possible try to go through Karen - she used to be a dog trainer and is a really great property manager.

I would contact them as your first port of call as I found all the other real estates in the area to be very unhelpful when it came to pets.

Good luck!!

I live in Wollongong now. I used to rent and it is possible. Of course it helps if you have a past history or references from previous renting with pets.

Is your dog an inside dog? I came to the area for 2 days from a country area to find a rental place. Two days to get 2 dog friendly rental! I was so stressed. I looked at about 8 places in one day. Some places had a lot of people interested specially in close to the CBD.

I went for a crappy place in a bad area and they didn't want me!! Found 2 good places and one dream house right near the beach. Due to my past history renting the real estate agents were happy to promote me.

I was offered my dream house at Port Kembla near the beach but had to say no because dogs allowed only outside and I couldn't lie. Mine are allowed in.

On the following Monday I was offered a nice home with dogs outside but then I was offered a older home at Port Kembla with the best view ever. The real estate told me dogs allowed inside as long as I signed a pet agreement. (Agreement is where you say you will pay for any pet damage and you pay for flea + pest spray after you leave.) So I took this one.

Always good to be truthful. Specially in this case as the real estate agent who showed us the house lived across the road and he owned the house!

Wollongong has limited rentals I hear now. Due also to the fact that it is nestled between the ridge and the ocean. Can't expand out much further.

Lovely place to live! I think it is great as I'm a bit of a country girl and don't like cities much. PM me if you need any advice. I had a friend with mates in Wollongong who helped me know where to live and where not to look. However usually a walk round the street before you commit will tell you heaps.

Good luck. I'm sure the dog will like the beach and there are plenty of dog training clubs here!

Rental properties are rather difficult to obtain in the Illawarra area these days and you would probably have to go on a waiting list, I know of a few people who have had to do this over the last year.

But yes Wollongong is a wonderful place to live, dog friendly beaches, and leash free areas also a number of dog training clubs. Not only that great shopping, and lots of entertainment.