Disciplining Other Animals

Vickie

Do your dogs discipline your other animals? Like they would another dog?

Our cat made the mistake of trying to get into the dishwasher a few weeks ago.

Shine was dumbfounded as to why he didn't retreat when his head was in her mouth. She tried 3 times, but he just didn't get it!

She also bared her teeth at him last night when he decided that instead of laying against her, he needed to be ON her.

Lol, again he was oblivious, again she was confused.

Edited by Vickie

One growl for a cat sniffing around the food bowl when my old boy was a puppy, that was about it apart from the odd groan if the same cat is snuggling too much.

My GSD tried to kill our other cat when she was a young pup. For the 9 years since then they have been almost inseparable.

I have 3 cats and they co exist with the dogs very well. They often play with each other and will sleep together at times.

However, if any of us humans get annoyed with the cats, the dogs (in particular my JRT, but the others will do it too) chase them or nip at them. All we have to do is clap our hands at the cats or say 'pssss' and the dogs immediately go for the offending cat.

The 2 little dogs also tolerate our budgie climbing on them and will play with him but if he bites them then they will nip at him.

Chopper does , not often at home as I do the disciplining , but he will do it to other dogs , just a growl, he esp does it to Sonar and she for some reason thinks Chops is a god and does whatever he says :confused::laugh: quite intriguing to watch them when he decides she needs a 'this is how you should behave lesson', esp after she has been bit rough with my kelpie girl .

Edited by Chezy & Chopper

Orbit told off one of my chickens. They share the backyard and one day Chicken got brave and decided to try and go for a bit of Orbits dinner (which was chicken :laugh: ). He growled first which she ignored, then when she went in for the grab, he very swiftly pinned her to the ground with a bit of noise and let her go again. Checked her over and no injuries at all, just a bit of slobber. She keeps her distance now.

Funny when the dogs and cats are talking a different language.

Mine wouldn't discipline as such. But the small female used to try and say hello to the old cat. She would get excited and tail would be going madly. Just like another dog, she'd go up to the cats front and try to be friendly. She would lie half on her back, lick at the cats mouth, hold her front leg up and wave it about.

The dog was under 4kg but the cat was over 6kg. The cat would just look down at the dog. As much to say " what is your problem " and then calmly and slowly try to bite the dogs head. Poor dog would try harder to make up and the cat just didn't get it. The cat was not really playing. Spun me out at first cause the cat did eat rabbits etc and I wasn't sure the dog was going to come out without holes.

Cyco the cat is gone now(at 20 years). Don't think the dogs even noticed he was gone.

Orbit told off one of my chickens. They share the backyard and one day Chicken got brave and decided to try and go for a bit of Orbits dinner (which was chicken :laugh: ). He growled first which she ignored, then when she went in for the grab, he very swiftly pinned her to the ground with a bit of noise and let her go again. Checked her over and no injuries at all, just a bit of slobber. She keeps her distance now.

I know this is totally OT but OMG your dog is gorgeous!

My little pom gets told off by other animals instead she does the submissive roll showing her belly to my friends cat when the cat hisses at her, the cat does not really get it though lol.

I wish I could put my brother's video of his old staffy and the new kitten. You know the face hugging monster from Alien? That was the kitten, claws out and all. And the staffy just used her kitten wrapped face as a floor duster. No apparent damage to either of them.

PS my dog got very upset with a horse that didn't seem to understand doggy for "BACK OFF". And she also was very worried by a sheep that didn't understand that it was supposed to run away from a dog, not approach and sniff ie I think the pet sheep thought it was a dog.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

My corgi used to growl and air snap at the hare if he was following her too close. He did not seem to appreciate what she was getting at. It would be fair to say he completely ignored it. Fortunately my corgi only got upset if he touched her and he hardly ever did that. She really wanted as little to do with him as possible after that day he tried to suckle from her. I'll never forget the look on her face when she walked into the room one day to find Kit reclining on her bed. She froze, looked at me, looked at the hare, then turned around and stalked out.

My poodle x who had never met a cat before she was 12 months tries to tell the cats off as if they are dogs, with low growls when they do something she doesn't like. My puppy who has been raised with cats is much more tolerant. Our kittens will grab him and start biting him and pounce on him etc, and he will just let her. He never corrects her at all, I think he secretly loves the attention.

The cats seem to understand the dog's growl, and the dogs understand the cats' growls, I guess they come from the same place (chest) and means pretty much the same thing (back off). I think it's pretty silly when humans growl at their dogs, because growls aren't part of our vocabulary.

When I was younger I had a small budgie and our family dog, a GSDxRotti. One day my bird escaped it's cage and I didn't realise until I heard him chirping from outside....our dog had grabbed him, sat down in the backyard and proceeded to flea him eek1.gif Poor little Einstein didn't have many feathers left, and I thought for sure he would die just from the shock alone, but he didn't have so much as a speck of blood on him and half an hour later he was hopping around as right as rain!

Guest Willow

My SWF will have a grumble at the cats if they get too familiar with him, or the rabbit of she's rude to him (the rabbit is big & pushy), but with the Staffy, it's the other way around....the cats & rabbits tell him off, and I often step in so he's not too picked on.....he has a very soft nature with other animals I don't want to see abused.

The cat is the boss here. :laugh:

Poor Honey (27kg, 4yo GR), Jaz (small, grey and 15yo moggy) constantly tells her off and bosses her around. :(

Nightly we have a ritual of Honey lying in her bed, Jaz comes and sits right in front of her and stares at her until she gets out. Then this tiny cat gets in and curls up in the giant bed. :laugh:

Last week I had to lock Jaz inside after she continually tried to steal Honey's bone from her! I figured there was only so much a wimpy dog could bear, best not to test her.

Jaz used to hiss a bit if Honey passed her in a doorway, but after copping a mouth full of fluffy tail too many times she has given up. :laugh:

We have a wild cat that comes in the cat door and eats Horse's(our cat) biscuits. The other night I disturbed the wild cat and while it was trying to get out the cat door in a hurry Horse went up and gave it a half-pie whack across the rump. They are friends as I have seen them walking around together and once came home and found it in the lounge hanging out with Horse, another hurried exit.

Dieter is known as the fun police - and if two dogs are having a fun at a get together and he is not involved he will go and bark at them

Recently on a walk a little dog we were with 'went' a man on a bike (he'd probably never seen a bike before) and D ran over and barked at him to tell him off - he is such a brat

A vet once told me about his Maremma who herded the chickens but was frustated when they wouldn't stay where it wanted them to. Once day it came up with a solution, if you pick each chicken up and firmly place it where it "should" be, they freeze and don't move. For the Maremma, the problem was solved. :D