What Can I Do

Hi everyone Rascal my chihuahua had surgery to get his anal glands removed on monday. His getting annoyed at his bottom likes its really itchy, He keeps scooting his bottom on the floor he stops when i tell him no. He gets a pain killer once a day and antibiotics twice a day. But his bottom is giving him hell, I don't blame him. What can I do to stop the itchyness, Poor boy can't even eat standing up. I plan on ringing the vets tommorrow about it to see if theres a product that will relieve the itchyness. But I thought I would ask here in case theres a cream or something in my medical cabinet we could use.

Hi everyone Rascal my chihuahua had surgery to get his anal glands removed on monday. His getting annoyed at his bottom likes its really itchy, He keeps scooting his bottom on the floor he stops when i tell him no. He gets a pain killer once a day and antibiotics twice a day. But his bottom is giving him hell, I don't blame him. What can I do to stop the itchyness, Poor boy can't even eat standing up. I plan on ringing the vets tommorrow about it to see if theres a product that will relieve the itchyness. But I thought I would ask here in case theres a cream or something in my medical cabinet we could use.

Don't eliminate pain rather than itchiness as a possibility. Talk to your vet.

My son's large mixed breed dog had one anal gland removed a couple of years ago. From memory she had a drain in place. It never bothered her from the time we picked her up to my surprise. Check with your vet.

I stick aloe vera - direct from the cactus leaf on cuts and wounds, it's cool and soothing and tastes like the bitter end (not likely to be licked more than once). It's also supposed to reduce scaring.

I second talking to the vet. The itches may also be an infection that is not being controlled by the antibiotic you have. Or it could just be the way that all scabs and wounds get itchy.

Thanks everyone I also noticed that he is weeping poo out of his bottom every now and then. I just hope that problem doesn't stay. I will ring the vet tommorrow for sure he has a vet appointment on friday but hopefully when I ring they will say bring him in.

Thanks everyone I also noticed that he is weeping poo out of his bottom every now and then. I just hope that problem doesn't stay. I will ring the vet tommorrow for sure he has a vet appointment on friday but hopefully when I ring they will say bring him in.

If he's fecally incontinent (ie can't control when he poos) I'd be seeing the vet TOMORROW.