Entertainment / Distractions For Young Puppies

Lyla

I am doing up a sheet for new puppy owners for ideas to keep young puppies distracted, and to help get a new puppy settled into their new homes.

Obviously being removed from the litter situation is a big shock to a baby puppy, so what are the things you would supply to puppy to keep her happy? Or what do you leave puppy to do when you are at work?

Here's a couple to start off:

Bones

Softdrink bottle with kibble inside

Kong or similar filled with any of the billion combinations possible

Doggy iceblocks

Toys (rotated daily)

I am doing up a sheet for new puppy owners for ideas to keep young puppies distracted, and to help get a new puppy settled into their new homes.

Obviously being removed from the litter situation is a big shock to a baby puppy, so what are the things you would supply to puppy to keep her happy? Or what do you leave puppy to do when you are at work?

Bones

Doggy iceblocks

Toys (rotated daily)

Personally, the best method of bonding puppy to the new home IMO involves spending lots of time with the puppy, (inside if at all possible) and training it.

A dog can't form an effective social bond with new owners if they only spend time together for a couple of hours a day.

All the other things you describe are great for entertaining a bored pup but they won't take the place of that social bond.

Bones

Doggy iceblocks

Toys (rotated daily)

Personally, the best method of bonding puppy to the new home IMO involves spending lots of time with the puppy, (inside if at all possible) and training it.

A dog can't form an effective social bond with new owners if they only spend time together for a couple of hours a day.

All the other things you describe are great for entertaining a bored pup but they won't take the place of that social bond.

Thanks poodlefan, but the point of the post WAS for entertaining a bored pup, not bonding a pup to it's owners.

I want a list of options for people to refer to because they cannot spend 24 hours a day with their pup. My pups are currently 6 weeks old, and while I spend masses of time with them , and so do the kids the minute they are home from school, I still leave them stuff to do when I'm not with them.

Not sure if my wording was unclear, but just looking to create a puppy entertainment list to put in puppy folders, to go along with a feeding chart, training info, health info etc. Just thought it might be helpful to some people.