Probably Been Loads Of Threads About This But

Hi Guys,

I am sure that there have been loads of thread about this but I needed to ask for me. I have a Wolfie X Female Kenzie Approx 8 Years, Staffy X Male Murdock 4 years and Staffy female 2 years. Both my girls tend to get skin allergies particularly in summer. I was feeding them Advance that is $110 a 15 kilo and that didn;t last too long. Then I read on here about Uncle Alber's $35 for 22 kilos. This is all well and good but I have noticed all my dogs coats have been dryer and they just don't seem as happy.

Money is in issue as I simply cannot afford the advance but can anyone give me some advice on feeding my dogs cheaply but ensuring they are getting the nutrients they need.

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance

Cheers

Bev

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Uncle Alber's and find it great.

Not all foods are satisfactory for all dogs.

I show my dogs and the two bitches have both reared pups and are in great condition.

I also do feed mine pet mince from Lenards at $1.50 a KG.

Maybe the addition of some pet chicken mince may help. :)

Uncle Albers does have wheat in it. It caused issues with my dogs. BH caused a rash due to the brewers yeast. I am currently using Supercoat Sensitive and that is going well so far. It is only available in 3.5kg bags at $14 so isn't actually super cheap.

You could just try adding some oil to the Uncle Albers and see if that helps at all.

BH is around $75 for 20kilos + delivery.

Uncle Albers does have wheat in it. It caused issues with my dogs. BH caused a rash due to the brewers yeast. I am currently using Supercoat Sensitive and that is going well so far. It is only available in 3.5kg bags at $14 so isn't actually super cheap.

You could just try adding some oil to the Uncle Albers and see if that helps at all.

BH is around $75 for 20kilos + delivery.

It must be dearer for NSWalers. I pay $85 then $10 delivery. Still worth $95 for 20kgs IMO.

I to couldn't afford to feed advance etc plus i didn't like the fact you got less for your money. I have just started feeding black hawk to my guys tonight,I pay $80 for 20kgs. I gave Shelley the sample I got and I noticed a change within 6 days of feeding it.

Just an idea for whatever it's worth...

Why not continue the dry food of your choice and feed raw 2 or 3 times per week. You may find that buying bulk and freezing with lots of veg and pasta/rice is a good solution.

I used to feed Advance too until it got too costly

Now I feed Supercoat large breed and even my girl with sensitive skin is doing well on it. Big W sells it the cheapest. they get biscuits every night with the stuff below on it. for breakfast they get Wolfbix bone shaped biscuits, it has no artificial flavours or preservatives, probably no goodness either but it's not their main meal by any means.

And they also get pet mince @ $2.00 a kg cooked up with coles frozen mixed vegies and pasta or chicken wings - great chicken factory outlet near my work so I'm sure there would be one near you as well. No brand sardines are a great feed as well. I actually can get the pet mince cheaper at another butcher but it is too fatty.

A big bag of bones for $4.00 lasts my four for two nights.

All mine are healthy and happy on this diet - my golden retreiver girl does get upset tummies or skin allergies so I have to be very careful what I feed her but I find that she thrives on the above diet and best of all it doesn't break the bank balance.

Edited by onsntillnflash

BARF?

I find Barf very expensive, I have four dogs and have tried to give them Barf but its out of my price range. :(

Homemade BARF not the patties isn't too bad.

How do you make your home made Barf? If you don't mind me asking

At $110 for $15 kilos of Advance, you're paying about $7.30 a kilo.

Rather than feeding a cheaper grade of kibble (although a lot of folk swear by Blackhawk), I'd be feeding less kibble by feeding RMBs two meals out of three. With a bit of shopping around you could find chicken wings or frames, lamb ribs etc for less than that.

BARF?

I find Barf very expensive, I have four dogs and have tried to give them Barf but its out of my price range. :(

Homemade BARF not the patties isn't too bad.

How do you make your home made Barf? If you don't mind me asking

When I fed only BARF I used Dr Billinghurst's book 'Give the Dog a Bone'. Lots of people seem to make up their own patties now. So mince, offal, eggs, kelp, oil etc. You can usually pick up minced chicken frames for around $2 a kilo. Lots of meaty bones too.

Rather than feeding a cheaper grade of kibble (although a lot of folk swear by Blackhawk), I'd be feeding less kibble by feeding RMBs two meals out of three. With a bit of shopping around you could find chicken wings or frames, lamb ribs etc for less than that.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Excellent point!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Excellent point!

Tom's Poultry in Fyshwick sells wings, frames etc at a good price for larger orders. A freezer will be your best friend for feeding dogs cheaply and well. :)

Tom's Poultry in Fyshwick sells wings, frames etc at a good price for larger orders. A freezer will be your best friend for feeding dogs cheaply and well. :)

I noticed on the weekend that the chicken shop at Belco mall had frames for 99c a kilo, pet mince was around $1.50. I can often pick up the no brand sardines for 50c a can to add some oil to their diet, and meaty lamb bones at a good price from the supermarket or bulk meat supplier. If you can alternate a mid priced kibble with homemade BARF made with the mince, a little offal and in season vegies, and add some meaty bones, I'd think they should do OK -depends what triggers their allergies.

Edited by Diva