Warm Dog Beds With No Filling/stuffing

Rileys mum

Quick question. I have a dog with a fetish for pulling the stuffing out of any stuffing filled object.....including his bed.

Now..... up until about a week ago he has been sleeping inside in his crate (wont destroy his bed inside his crate) but due to a change in my roster there will be times when i will have to leave my boy outside after dark and in the cold over night and i wont get back home until late afternoon (which means i cant crate him inside while im gone as it will be over 14 hrs until i get back to him).

The last two days i have come home to his beds completely destroyed. As its so cold i want to make sure he has nice warm bedding so im after ideas on what people might use that is nice and warm but has no stuffing. Are there any products on the market like this? I have left him with two polar fleece rug type things but i know they probably wont keep him warm at night. Im thinking i may need to just give him 5 or so seperate rugs to give him a deep warm bed that he cant destroy but just wondered if anyone had a particularly warm and strong product they could recommend. He also likes draggin his bedding around so i have to work out a way to secure it inside his kennel....but thats a seperate issue lol

Unfortunately he destroys any dog rug i leave on him whilst hes unattended too.........grrrrrrrr.

He also gets a big long run/walk before i leave so his distructiveness isnt really due to boredom. I think he sleeps for a while then gets a second wind early in the morning and this is the time the destruction happens lol.

lucky i love him :)

anyway after that ramble....any ideas on products greatly appreciated.

:) cheers.

A bale of hay?

My BT has her crazy time around 4pm, she drags her bed onto the lawn and tries to shred it, i have discovered if i cover it with a fleece throw and tuck it in she doesn't do it, must not like the taste of fleece :laugh:

Second the newspaper idea :) or even flattened cardboard carton for the floor- both these are amazingly warm.. and insulating :) Throw in some op shop sheets/towels .

the best way to keep your dog warm is to enclose/draft proof 3 sides and roof of crate/kennel...placing the open end to the Nth-east .. so the cold sou'westers can't get in :) provide interactive tough toys , too so he has something else to kill ;)

Think about it - while he's ripping up beds, he is keeping warm!! :o

I'm with Juice - if he's short coated - hay or straw can be a beautifully warm bed.

I like that idea... i wonder if i can talk OH into it.. although it'll be almost as messy as stuffing/bed everywhere if my boy is anything to go by.

I think i'll need to nail his blankets in the kennel!

You know I hadn't even thought of nailing the bedding to the floor of his kennel lol. I'll give it a go.

I will be trying every single one of these ideas. All ones I hadn't thought of. Thankyou so much :)

I think i'll need to nail his blankets in the kennel!

yes! the dogs then have much more fun playing 'tug-the-blanket-loose'..and enjoying the slow Rrrrrrrrrrrip noises ;)

Yep I can tell you nailing the blanket to the kennel floor will not work. My Shelley use to be a bda chewer and riped every bed I gave her. My dad nailed a fleece blanket over her bed to the floor of the kennel. The next morning her bed was riped up stuffing everywhere. Thankfully my Shelley out grew the ripping of beds much, She has only destroyed 1 bed in 2 years all cause she was jealous cause I was paying attention to Rascal and not her.

I can surguest a product everyone can use on the bedding which dogs don't like the taste of its called deep heat in the spray can you get it from the chemist.

Edited by mumtoshelley

My dogs are bed shredders too so I nail a piece of carpet onto the floor of the kennel, then I buy some super cheap old blankets from the Op Shop and chuck them in. The dogs do tend to drag them out sometimes, but they don't destroy them like they do with beds. Usually, the blankets stay in the kennel and the dogs make nice warm nests with them. :)

Ah carpet as a floor is a good idea too. Thanks.

Yes I have a funny feeling if I nail the bed to the kennel he will tug it out but I'll give it a go. He may give up if he can't drag it out lol. Can only hope lmao.

[my Maya is a stuffing pulleroutter as well but she never rips up futon beds and I see on deals direct under rugs they have round shagpile rugs so maybe try that I am opting for the sheepskins next.

My dog was a bed destructor but he loves his new bed,its like horse rug material. Rip stop. So he cant eat it. We also have a snooza futon coming with a calico cover.

The snooza d1000s are meant to be tough but are pricey.

We bought polar fleece blankets from Kmart - cost $8 or something for queen sized ones and we just fold them up and put them in the crates. Comfy and they don't try to kill it (though Hales likes to rearrange hers so it's in a ball).

I wouldn't be nailing anything to the floor. If the bedding is ripped up & a nail is still stuck to it, possible, your dog may get the nail in its mouth or swallow it by accident while playing/ripping up the bedding.

A dog that is not used to a coat may also struggle partly free & strangle or get caught up.

A bale of straw is cheaper & safer & good mulch for the garden if it doesn't do the trick.