Administering Herb Robert

Hi all,

Following on from another thread started in General & also posted here in Health, I have received some dried herb Robert today & am eager to get my girl started.

Can anyone tell me though........Westiemum mentioned she steeps her herbs overnight in water but am unsure if you give the whole mix (herbs & water) to my dog or strain it & only give the liquid? Not sure how to steep the mix either.

Also, can you just give the dried herbs sprinkled on food?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply.......the herb robert is derived from "geranium robertianum".

I have found a lot of info by googling it - I also found that several health food shops didn't know what I was talking about either when I rang around to see if anyone stocked it.

Edited by esky

1/2 teaspoon of the herb could be mixed with a

little hot water to soften the dried leaves, and added to the

dogs wet food daily.

I use the dried stems as well and usually leave it to steep overnight

You can buy it from Shipards Herb farm, Nambour Qld

I have copied & pasted the details she sent to me....50 gram pkts of each herb $10 each and pack and post would be $10

We also have plants of these herbs, as people like to get them

growing to have for future use.

Here are a couple of suppliers (I originally bought my seeds & dried from Shipard's as they were helpful with info)

http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information.html

http://www.herbcottage.com.au/dried-herb-robert.html

Edited by Boronia

Hi All,

Yep I've been giving Mac his 'herbal tea' each morning now for 19 days - and only one episode of the aimless growling since and that was last night - so I'm thrilled.

I put some water in his bowl along with 1/2 teaspoon of the dried herb before I go to bed and steep it overnight. I then add his Hills b/d to his 'herbal tea' in the morning and give him the whole mixture for breakfast. He hasn't left a drop yet!

As I've said before there is so little to help these dogs so I thought it was worth a go - and I'm thrilled with the results. He's a much happier westie!

Hope that helps.

Hi becks - sorry mad week at work and haven't logged on...

At Boronia's suggestion and after her research, a couple of us are trying Herb Robert with our dogs with canine dementia. I seem to be having quite some success with my Mac. You can buy it here

Hope that helps

What are you both using this herb to treat? i missed the other threads about it

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just resurrecting this thread with an update:

Mac is continuing to do very well on his herb robert 'herbal tea' - but I now give it to him morning and night and he's tolerating it very well and doesn't leave a drop as long as its mixed with the B/D. It certainly seems to be helping with his canine dementia - he doesn't seem to be going downhill at the moment and the frequency and intensity of his purposeless growling and barking doesn't seem to worsening. No other symptoms of canine dementia seen - so so far so good.

Genuinely not completely sure whats working here but since the herb robert was added into his regime he does seem better and more 'with it' - a happier westie.

His regime at the moment is a sprinkle of herb robert (about a teaspoon?) in water steeped overnight for the next morning then 1/2 a 50 mg vivitonin tab 1/2 an hour before breakfast and 1/4 a cup of the Hills B/D added to the herb robert tea in the morning - he then gets that mixture for breakfast - I know its not much but he stacks on the weight if I give him anymore of the B/D and then I get in trouble with my vet! Then when I get home at night, he gets 1/2 a vivitonin tab 1/2 an hour before dinner and then I steep the herb robert for half an hour and add the 1/4 cup B/D and give him a little of Jo's raw meat formula and a handful of veggies - he then gets that mixture for dinner.

Phew! And yes I had to really concentrate hard to get into this routine successfully but now its really easy, automatic.

This seems to be working for the moment - and I'll review it if he seems to be going downhill at some stage...