This Is A Great Shot ....

persephone

Great shot. In defense of the dog, if the wind is blowing the wrong way, a dog cannot smell things that are quite close. Looks to me like the beagle is a serious ground scenter, and the air scent isn't getting to him. This could happen to an excellent tracking dog.

My Ben used to love chasing rabbits, never caught any. One day we were out in the paddocks, Ben had his nose down doing his tracking job and passed a clump of reeds. A rabbit shot out, swerved about 2 inches from Ben's rear end and took off. Poor Ben didn't even lift his nose, just kept trackin' on.

exactly, the green gradient means the camera was close to the ground, and that is grass close to the ens, but out of focus (too close to the lens for it to be picked up as other than the colour.

It dosnt suprise me at all. My beagle along with my other dogs used to scent rabbits. I would sit down on a log and wait. The rabbit would sneak past me then a couple of minutes later the dogs would go tearing past, then the rabbit again, then the dogs led by the beagle-nose on the ground. If he just had a look around :rofl:

Good photo

Great shot. In defense of the dog, if the wind is blowing the wrong way, a dog cannot smell things that are quite close. Looks to me like the beagle is a serious ground scenter, and the air scent isn't getting to him. This could happen to an excellent tracking dog.

That's exactly what I was thinking after I seen the pic, I bet the wind's not blowing In dog's favor!

The photo has been taken with a very long tele lens, which makes the fox appear closer than he actually is. It looks as though he's right on the dogs tail, in reality he could have been 4-6 metres away.