Poodle Grooming :)

Guest HarperGD

Guest rhy&ge

Hi guys,

Just wondering what types of brushes I need to buy for my poodle pup? We have a groomer nearby that I will take him to every 6-8 weeks (or more often, depending on how fast his coat grows I suppose!) But I want to know what brushes to use in between to ensure he doesn't get matted.

Went to petbarn yesterday and there are thousands of different brushes :eek: so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!!

:)

A slicker and a good quality comb. The comb ensures you don't miss any areas as a lot of people tend to use the slicker incorrectly and just brush the top of the coat. The comb also brings the coat back together after it's been slickered. Your groomer will love you for it :thumbsup:

I agree with Clyde but also wanted to add, make sure it is a long tooth comb preferably with one side with the teeth closer together than the other. Metal combs are the best as plastic breaks too easily.

Good Luck with your new puppy :D

Small size soft metal slicker brush. Don't get the puppy size, its useless after a few weeks.

"Soft" can be variable according to quality so choose a quality brand & if your pup really kicks up about the brushing try the brush along your own arm & on your own head to check it is not too scratchy or your technique of using it is correct.

If you are sure you are happy about using the groomer nearby maybe go in & introduce yourself & puppy & ask them if they can show you how to use the brush. A trained puppy that is brushed regularly is easier for them, & less stress for your puppy too.

Gives you a chance to see how they are too.

Metal comb with half the teeth spaced wider at one end to be used after the slicker.

Small size soft metal slicker brush. Don't get the puppy size, its useless after a few weeks.

"Soft" can be variable according to quality so choose a quality brand & if your pup really kicks up about the brushing try the brush along your own arm & on your own head to check it is not too scratchy or your technique of using it is correct.

If you are sure you are happy about using the groomer nearby maybe go in & introduce yourself & puppy & ask them if they can show you how to use the brush. A trained puppy that is brushed regularly is easier for them, & less stress for your puppy too.

Gives you a chance to see how they are too.

Metal comb with half the teeth spaced wider at one end to be used after the slicker.

I have been wanting to buy a new slicker brush, as the one I have I think is far too hard. So I'm after a new one that is nice and soft, but good quality. Would you recommend a brand? I also need a small one.

The breeder should show you how to brush your dog correctly & what tools to use.We actually supply the slicker & comb with our pups .

The other key is selecting a place to brush either bench/table with a non slip mat/surface

Guest rhy&ge

I would also invest in a good dog dryer, it will make maintenance a lot easier in between grooming visits.

A dog dryer?? Is that like a hair dryer... but for dogs??

Yes, a dog dryer is a hairdryer for dogs, they are more powerful then a human one, although a good quality human dryer is good enough.

The breeder should show you how to brush your dog correctly & what tools to use.We actually supply the slicker & comb with our pups .

That must be the groomer in us! I do the same for my pups and they get a demo on how to brush the pup during the collection lecture.

I really wouldnt bother outlaying $ on a dog dryer. If you're having your dog professionally groomed then a normal hand held dryer will do you fine *if* you even want to dry the dog!

eta: I should mention that's only if you weren't keen on spending the $. When it comes to grooming the sky is the limit when it comes to tools and products, some people like to draw that line early on and pay someone else to do the job.

Edited by Clyde

Guest rhy&ge

I'll look into the dog dryer!!

Also, as a puppy, if he's going the groomer every 4-6 weeks, how often should I bath him (and dry him :D !) ??

I have read so many different things, it's very confusing... (I guess it depends on how often he's rolling in the mud too, right?? :) )

I really wouldnt bother outlaying $ on a dog dryer. If you're having your dog professionally groomed then a normal hand held dryer will do you fine *if* you even want to dry the dog!

eta: I should mention that's only if you weren't keen on spending the $. When it comes to grooming the sky is the limit when it comes to tools and products, some people like to draw that line early on and pay someone else to do the job.

Can I ask what benefits there are using a dog dryer vs a regular hand help human hair dryer? I groom my own boy, and just use my own hair dryer set on the lowest heat function. I'm careful not to over dry his coat. I have never looked into a dog dryer before, but thinking it might be something I should look into.

Nothing too major for just the one dog. It makes things a little easier and will dry the coat faster - really not necessary unless you really *want* it. I've been grooming for about 13 or so yrs and for the first 3 years in business my only heat dryer was a hand held. You can buy groomers arms which will hold your hand held dryer for you which is handy too. Otherwise there are perfectly good, and well priced entry level dryers at Pet Network.:thumbsup:

Can I ask what benefits there are using a dog dryer vs a regular hand help human hair dryer? I groom my own boy, and just use my own hair dryer set on the lowest heat function. I'm careful not to over dry his coat. I have never looked into a dog dryer before, but thinking it might be something I should look into.

I have played on an special dog dryer, the benefits are:

1)On a stand/rack no need to hold them

2)They are crazy strong- but no heat

There are other more show related benefits too! If I had hairy dogs I would definately invest in one. :)

I have played on an special dog dryer, the benefits are:

1)On a stand/rack no need to hold them

2)They are crazy strong- but no heat

There are other more show related benefits too! If I had hairy dogs I would definately invest in one. :)

Depends on the dryer!

I have a stand dryer that has 2 heat settings and 2 power setings

I have a blaster dryer that blows air at high speeds which will warm the air a little but has no heating to warm the air. This one is wheeled about on the floor.

Before buying a dog dryer, you need to know what you want it to do and how you will be using it.

I was a mobile groomer for several years and only used a hand held human dryer and it did a really good job, you can blow dry a poodle coat straight with it if you are also using a brush (as you would for your own hair).

re. bathing your dog between grooms, no real need unless the dog is stinky inbetween.

A dog dryer will dry a coated dog in about a quarter of the time that a human hair dryer takes and at much lower temperatures. My full coated male BCs used to take up to 2 hours to dry with an ordinary dryer. It only takes 30 min with the force dryer. Not an issue for Poodles but for double coated breeds, a good force dryer can remove an entire shedding undercoat in one or two sessions with very little brushing or combing. It simply blows all the dead hair out completely. My Oldfield dryer is strong enough to blow a Toy breed off the table if you use the concentrator.