Dog Food Allergies And Intolerances

~Shepherd~

I am very interested in this subject and I would like to get a list of symptoms that the general public notice in their dogs when having a reaction. Working in Rescue and taking surrenders at times it is interesting watching changes in behavior with diet change, environment etc. With intolerance's all individuals can show very different symptoms.

. I know a dog who is grain intolerant and gets very moody, lathargic after a bout of hyperactivity. This can go on for a week. Allergy and intolerance are very different as an allergy affects the immune system and an intolerance is a slow onset reaction that can take hours, days or weeks to show up as some dogs can not produce the right enzymes to break down a particular food, or group of food. It also affects the CNS. I am wondering if behaviorists consider diet along with behavior modification?

Obviously there is a lot on the net, but getting a public view on undesirable behavior due to diet food is something that I want to do more research on. I am very well researched on the subject with humans, but obviously the 2 are not the same species and I want to know more. If I can some evidence to support neurotic behaviour and diet in dogs, then we can do more for some of the more problematic dogs that come in to care and possibly advise those who are asking for assistance to possibly change diets along with behavior modification strategies.

I hope you understand my post.

Thanks

If I have a pupil with a pup that is very out of control I do ask about diet. Mainly about preservatives and colours.

My little allergy dog is actually very flat when she is showing symptoms. She is very bouncy when she feels good.

I would view symptoms coming and going in a day as an allergy not an intolerance.

sloppy poos!!!

lol there is thread under 'general discussion' called 'jennas poos' and that was all about food and the fact that she could not be going well on what I was feeding her. Its an easy-to-read thread.

Sometimes it can be gruelling to go on the health and nutrition and just go 'wow, thats a lot of information for me to digest and half of those words I don't understand'... lol - it is for me anyway!!!

I don't think Jenna had an allergy but I think she didn't tolerate the food she was on very well.

Lots of threads about this in the Health Section :)

? About behavior assessment, rescue as well as symptoms?

Unlike some I do research prior to asking and have taken a lot of notice of the health threads. My dogs do not have issues hence my lack of posts in that area. What we are trying to do is give reason to advise change of diet for their Shepherd as we offer a phone consultation service in order to attempt to keep dogs with their owners instead of taking them. We have all researched a lot on all other areas and we have a behaviorist on the team. This is my idea that I would like to investigate further that needs to have some good backing prior to implementing.

I had a bullmastiff x who had very severe allergies which caused many temperament issues. His most dangerous side effect was when he was so uncomfortable he would be fast asleep and then wake up quickly and snap at whatever was near him. When he was having a bad reaction to something he would also pace a lot. He was cranky all the time at the other dogs and wasn't interested in being patted when he was suffering badly.

Then I would find out what had caused the latest reaction or I would never find out and the symptoms would ease on their own and he would be back to his loving, playful, happy self.

My friend has a dalmation x that was dumped on her by a relative as supposedly he was uncontrollable. She put him on a wheat/colour/preservative free diet and he is now an absolute dream to live with.

I think diet can play a big part.

I had a bullmastiff x who had very severe allergies which caused many temperament issues. His most dangerous side effect was when he was so uncomfortable he would be fast asleep and then wake up quickly and snap at whatever was near him. When he was having a bad reaction to something he would also pace a lot. He was cranky all the time at the other dogs and wasn't interested in being patted when he was suffering badly.

Then I would find out what had caused the latest reaction or I would never find out and the symptoms would ease on their own and he would be back to his loving, playful, happy self.

My friend has a dalmation x that was dumped on her by a relative as supposedly he was uncontrollable. She put him on a wheat/colour/preservative free diet and he is now an absolute dream to live with.

I think diet can play a big part.

thats what I am talking about, thanks heaps for that. These are the cases I need!!!!

Intolerances build up in the system and often the last thing they ate is blamed, when it really could have been eaten 2 days earlier!!

Thanks again for the input so far. Would love some more.