Should I Buy Them Dog Coats?

Leelaa17

I've never been much of a dog coat person but in Sydney it is starting to get really blood cold. It's apparently recording breaking temperatures...

I was sitting outside this morning and I was snug as a bug in a rug and I was STILL freezing.. and I was watching Max and Jenna and they were just wandering around in the wind on the cold grass seeming just fine.

But I think if I have a million layers on and I am STILL cold then how can they be warm?

I am not sure whether I should invest in some good quality water proof coats or whether they will be fine in this weather...

what do you guys think??

They have fur and we don't :laugh:

It depends on the dog. One of mine has GSD-type fur and the other is an Aussie, and neither of them feel the cold at all. They happily went outside when I left for work this morning and it was -3 degrees.

If they aren't noticeably uncomfortable (shivering, whinging, pacing, etc) then I'd say they'll be fine.

They have fur and we don't :laugh:

It depends on the dog. One of mine has GSD-type fur and the other is an Aussie, and neither of them feel the cold at all. They happily went outside when I left for work this morning and it was -3 degrees.

If they aren't noticeably uncomfortable (shivering, whinging, pacing, etc) then I'd say they'll be fine.

lol Fair enough. They seem to be fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. I just want to make sure they are comfy that's all.

Plus,l they sleep inside, in a very warm air con'ed house... lol so they've got it pretty good!

It depends on the dog's natural coats....our Whippets have no under layer, so get coated during the cold weather when it's cold enough and they are outside and the temps drop. I'm sure ours are wusses and if they were in Europe, they'd have to "suck it up". If ours are inside the coats come off. If I had a nice big GSD (which we did as kids) I'd be less worried as they gnerally have a lovely thick coat, just keep an eye on each dog, if they are losing weight with the cold, either add food or add acoat or both....weightloss is a sign that something is challenging the metabolism. As with any dog, make sure they have a nice snuggly area that is protected from wind and rain when they are outside.

I was considering a coat for my labrador- she has just had a big patch of fur shaved off for allergy tests, so I thought she might be cold. However yesterday (which was freezing imo), after diving into a very cold lake and happily swimming and splashing around for over an hour- I quickly decided that a coat wouldn't be necessary :laugh: I suppose they were bred for retrieving fishing nets in freezing canadian waters...

If your dogs are outside only then maybe a coat would be more necessary, but I think for double-coated dogs with indoor access (esp at night, coats are not really necessary in sydney weather.

Our GSDs slept outside in the NZ winter (in a kennel)without coats.

I only use a coat as I have a short single coated dog who does not have a lot of body fat so feels the cold (and heat) easily.

Edited by Danois

My Dally wears a coat 24/7 as soon as it starts getting chilly. He's also indoors and spends his days standing over the central heating vents with the cats :) My Springer doesn't need a coat for warmth in general but I just bought her one for very cold nights camping or when she has been retrieving training and is wet/cold. It's very handy for stopping her getting filthy dirty and wet when she goes outside as well! She's a bit smaller so dashing up the hill through cover to hunt lizards means a 20 min towel dry otherwise.

All three of my dogs surive up here without coats.

I have a BC a JRTx and an old kelpiex, they all sleep inside in front of the fire.

My old BC (16), I often find outside at night when its freezeing, laying on the grass asleep.

Ive found with the JRT, if he wears a coat, he doesnt develope his own winter coat.