Driving From Syd To Adelaide With Dogs

MadWoofter

I posted this in OT as well but thought I'd get a better response here !! I'm driving from Sydney to Adelaide next week, with the hairies. The plan is to stop the first night in Narrandera and the 2nd in Mildura.

I've got accommodation & everything booked for each night, but need some help with suggestions for good sniff & widdle

stops on the way. If necessary I'll pull over to give them a break, but if anyone has any suggestions for places or towns not far off the highway where I can at least let them have a good walk around (on leash) & get a drink that would be great.

I go south into Victoria via Toolebuc ... then on to Ouyen, Lamaroo, Pinaroo and up the freeway from Murray Bridge.

You can have dogs in the car at one motel in Narranderra and in the car at cabins in Toolebuc.

Although I used to do the trip on one day. :eek:

Last time I did this trip I took a longer route over two days and stayed outside Echuca at a very dog friendly place on the Murray River - it was gorgeous.

Yes, stop at Renmark! There is a nice park on the highway or by the river, if you want to have a quick catch up let me know, if SK wants to and can make it I'm pretty flexible.

Yep, I'll be around :)

I go south into Victoria via Toolebuc ... then on to Ouyen, Lamaroo, Pinaroo and up the freeway from Murray Bridge.

You can have dogs in the car at one motel in Narranderra and in the car at cabins in Toolebuc.

Last time I did this trip I took a longer route over two days and stayed outside Echuca at a very dog friendly place on the Murray River - it was gorgeous.

We drove from Sydney to Adelaide on the weekend and went past Ouyen Pinaroo and Lamaroo, there is nothing there! :laugh:

There are nice parks in Mildura & Renmark tho.

We drove from Sydney to Adelaide on the weekend and went past Ouyen Pinaroo and Lamaroo, there is nothing there! :laugh:

There are nice parks in Mildura & Renmark tho.

I think its Pinaroo that I always stop at to run the dogs on the sports oval.

And if you missed Lameroo bakery.. you missed out!! I like the painted desert.. its pink! :)

And I love the stacked stone fences as you get closer to Murray Bridge. But yes, there's not much out there other than mallee and wheat. Oh, and melons at the right time of year.

Edited by poodlefan

take lots and lots and lots of car music -its a drive Ive done a number of times but rarely stop except for dog stops and thats wherever it needs to be, not exactly high traffic so not much of a problem. Just pack water and the necessaries - but you know all that.

have a good drive overand let us know how it goes.

I know there is a nice park off the main st in Hay that we always stop at for the dogs and a good stretch of the legs: http://www.whereis.com/?id=43392309113E57 Also at Wagga there is walk along the river bank, I think by the tourist information centre. At Goulburn we found a nice park for a walk, I think it was this 1: http://www.whereis.com/nsw/goulburn/chantry-st?id=4338DAE61F6AF0 . There are a few nice spots at Mildura for a walk along the river. My other favourite stopping place on the way to and from Sydney is Lake Bonney in Barmera - the dogs can have a good run and swim which tires them out for the long drive ahead or gives them a chance to burn off some sgteam after a day or so in the car.Balranald there is a small park somewhere off the main st or else find a spot near the river. Basically any of the river towns are easy as there is always a place to park and get out for a walk along the river bank.

Sorry they are not in any sort of order. They are just as I thought of them. Oh and of course don;t forget the obligatory Dog On The Tuckerbox stop and photo opportunity. 1 time we had 6 BCs lined up for a photo there and they ended up doing a really long stay as everyone else came to take pics too. LOL

Thanks everyone.

SK & Jo - I'd love to catch up in Renmark, but I'm leaving Mildura v v early in the morning - you'll probably still be in your jimjams when I get to Renmark !!

Sal - you're always welcome to visit if you want :)

Thanks Piper - I've marked those spots on my map.

I found the stops along the river last November had ginormous mozzies that would not leave me or my dog in peace.

Most country towns have a footy oval that you can walk on or around the outside (do pick up please - kids play footy there on the weekend). Ouyen has a trotting track and a football oval next to each other and you can have your well behaved dog in the tent with you. But the ground was quite prickly/weedy in the caravan park last time I was there, and a hell of a lot of ants too. I used a lot of talculm powder and pitched late and packed up early.

I was going to stay at Balranald but didn't quite make it and on the way back elected not to stop at all (cos of the mozzies). There are several nice parks in Hay if you turn up north from the round about - you encounter one on the right and there is a boat ramp down the track on the left as soon as you go over the bridge. And they probably have a football oval somewhere.

Neranderah has a nice football oval round the back but a lot of mozzies too. All the places have scary big stinging mozzies.

Get some permethrin and soak your clothes and bedding in it.

Renmark has a really nice sporting area - I've been to the hockey field but didn't take my dog. but there is a large footy oval next to it.

Yass has a really nice sandwich shop next to the park with a war memorial in it - but you're not supposed to take dogs in there. I'm afraid I did, but I kept her with me on lead while I ate sandwich and council workers left me alone.

Wagga wagga - I didn't find anywhere really good. I did find a big sports oval that we could walk around but my dog is freaked out by traffic and there was a lot of traffic on all sides. It was close to and just East of the shopping centres. And just north of the main road. they have a big hockey / sports oval there somewhere but I forget how to get to it, I think the turn is after the railway line underpass to the left/south.

Um, it's up bourke street. Not sure if it is dog friendly or not, but it does say no horses and no golfers.

I love the bakery at Lameroo. It's just next to the first roundabout (coming from Sydney).

After that it gets really hard to stop. I just keep going till I'm home.

But all country towns have football ovals and I just look for those and clean up after my dog as required. Note in Mudgee council area they don't allow mixing of sports and dog poo so you can't take your dog on most of their ovals. But a lot of towns in that area have designated dog parks of varying appeal.

Yass has a really nice sandwich shop next to the park with a war memorial in it - but you're not supposed to take dogs in there. I'm afraid I did, but I kept her with me on lead while I ate sandwich and council workers left me alone.

Wagga wagga - I didn't find anywhere really good. I did find a big sports oval that we could walk around but my dog is freaked out by traffic and there was a lot of traffic on all sides. It was close to and just East of the shopping centres. And just north of the main road. they have a big hockey / sports oval there somewhere but I forget how to get to it, I think the turn is after the railway line underpass to the left/south. .

Best bet in Wagga would be Norman Duck Oval at San Isidore on the Adelaide side.. drive through town and on the left you'll see a road with a big grassed area. Its where the dog club train and they hold agility trials. If you get to the Kapooka turn off, you've gone too far.

Thanks everyone.

SK & Jo - I'd love to catch up in Renmark, but I'm leaving Mildura v v early in the morning - you'll probably still be in your jimjams when I get to Renmark !!

:laugh: Well that depends on how early ...and how cold it is! If you change your mind feel free to PM me (or Jo):)

From the Wagga council website:

There are six designated off leash areas around Wagga Wagga, including an enclosed agility track. These are the only areas dogs are allowed off leash in public.

Existing fenced dog run area located at Narrung Street on the southern Boundary of the Wiradjuri Golf Centre driving range.

Eastern side of Wilks Park North Wagga Wagga, area bounded by south of Parken Pregon Lagoon - east of Hampden Avenue and north of Central Island Road.

Boat Club Reserve Lake Albert, between Plumpton Road and Boat Club Carpark on the southern side of Nelson Road.

Willans Hill, area bounded by east of Captain Cook Drive - south of Beauty Point Avenue and all of Willans Hill Reserve south of Leavenworth Drive.

O'Halloran Agility Park.

Forest Hill; The area at the intersection of Cypress St & Kurrajong Ave & adjoining the western side of Wagga Wagga RAAF base.

West of Wagga, on the northside of the Sturt highway adjacent to a rest area is the Berryjerry State Forest.

At Hay,off the Sturt Highway heading west, before the roundabout, turning right at Shiel St leads to a regional park beside the river, (although last Christmas it was under water with lots of mozzies).

South of Balranald, if you keep an eye out, there are some areas where there is a wide reserve (stock route?) between the highway and farm gate.

If I have to go to albury I always go this way, through Ouyen & Hay. There's a great little Motel in Hay in the main st (can't remember the name) but the people were lovely, had a little courtyard that the dogs could run in & then they slept in my car, even though the people offered for them to sleep out the back of their house at the side of the motel :) There's a good park at lameroo, also at Murray Bridge. There is also quite a large stop point just before the left turn near Balranald, it's just off the highway & it's a good piddle stop.