"face Judging" In The Show Ring

Face Judging  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Is face judging an significant issue in the show ring?

2. 2. Does face judging influence what shows you enter?

• Yes, I won't enter under judges I know are facey.
    • No, I take my chances with any judge
    • Sometimes if I think the judge will be followed by those he/she puts up
  3. 3. Has face judging or will face judging be the biggest influuence on why you don't show anymore?

When you are told by someone who's dog just won "unfortunately it was political today" is proof that face judging does happen. Whilst his little girl is young and very nice, in his own words she did not deserve to beat the much nicer older bitch who is well on her way (with limited showing) to her title. Since he is also a judge I have no reason to doubt his comment.

I have also been told that my young pug bitch would be titled easily if someone else was showing her. I am still fairly new to it and will admit I should do more with her, no doubt at all if she was in more experienced hands she would do better. But being told by several others "she would be titled fast with me" or "If she was in (another state) she would be easily titled". I have lost interest in showing her atm, not entered this w/e but will be going just the same. Have filled in a few more entries but not many. I might wait until she has matured a bit more and try again. I have even thought of offering her back to her breeder to be titled since I am often told if she was in the right hands she would do well. Perhaps she would be better off.

A friend has a stunning bitch and is doing quite well with her, she is certainly no beginner to showing, some of the dogs that win over her leaves many on the side line with raised eyebrows.

Oh and while I am having a whinge - why do some judges still put up dogs who are manky or lame - I bet if I was holding their leads they would not be..

It's not always sour grapes - sometimes it is just too obvious...

Sorry to hear that you've lost a bit of your enthusiasm.

I'm not going to say that it doesn't happen because I'm sure it does but I'd like to pick up one point that you made about being new and inexperienced. While you can't control a situation where a judge is making a decision politically and it's bl00dy annoying, you can control things like increasing your experience and handling skills which will hopefully make your dog really stand out.

As a relative newbie myself, I'm still learning all the time and I've done a lot of hard work and talked to some really good people about how to improve and the advice has been great. I still don't win a lot but I know that when I take my dogs out now, I give them a shot by showing them at their best.

I think a lot of times the handling can make a difference - there've been times I though I should have won when I didn't but also times when I didn't think I would and I did. The other thing is that most of the "faces" who get put up are very good handlers who can sometimes make an average dog look very good and a very good dog look stunning.

I know it can be disheartening when you get dumped but I always try to look at what I can do to improve my chances and try to ignore things I can't control.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear that you've lost a bit of your enthusiasm.

I'm not going to say that it doesn't happen because I'm sure it does but I'd like to pick up one point that you made about being new and inexperienced. While you can't control a situation where a judge is making a decision politically and it's bl00dy annoying, you can control things like increasing your experience and handling skills which will hopefully make your dog really stand out.

As a relative newbie myself, I'm still learning all the time and I've done a lot of hard work and talked to some really good people about how to improve and the advice has been great. I still don't win a lot but I know that when I take my dogs out now, I give them a shot by showing them at their best.

I think a lot of times the handling can make a difference - there've been times I though I should have won when I didn't but also times when I didn't think I would and I did. The other thing is that most of the "faces" who get put up are very good handlers who can sometimes make an average dog look very good and a very good dog look stunning.

I know it can be disheartening when you get dumped but I always try to look at what I can do to improve my chances and try to ignore things I can't control.

Hey - no problems, I appreciate the effort that many go through to make their dogs stand out on the day - and it shows. Some handlers make it look very easy, they all started out as beginners too. My girl has done ok, she has not been shown much, 7 baby puppy bitch wins and a Reserve Challenge at only 6 mths old, I'm happy with that. She has gone though a weird and not so wonderful growth period and was not at her best for quite a while. I know her faults and what I don't like about her, but over all she is a very nice little bitch, I just wish she would finish maturing so I know what she will end up like. :o She is entered this weekend and for the next couple of weekends. We will keep going just for the days out, anything that might come our way will be a bonus.

I had the best day last weekend, took 2 dogs with me - none entered but had a much better time. Not only because there was no pressure at all but I was able to watch other breeds, I also learnt that my eye sight is worse than I thought. When I got closer I knew the face of one of the judges - I could have placed bets who would win - sure enough..

If I set up and decide to scratch on the day it wouldn't bother me, I will still enjoy my day(s) out.

Edited by Andisa