Kennel For A Newfoundland

Hi All,

first post & hoping someone can offer some advice.

We have an 11 month old Newfoundland Female. She sleeps outside & its starting to get cold (i know she had alot of fur, but it gets pretty cold where we live) so I want to get her a kennel. But as she is a giant breed I need to get her something quite substantial.

Can anyone tell me where i can get a kennel for a breed of her size?

We live in western sydney.

Thanks.

I have a Newfie who is nearly a year old, she sleeps inside at night but during the day she has an xxlarge kennel but we are now up grading to a cubby house as she likes to share with our Wolfhound X and it is getting a bit too small for both of them.

I would check ebay for a cubby house or giant kennel, you might pick up a bargain :heart:

For a dog that big, I'd be tempted to look at pre-fab cubby houses!

How does she get shelter from the elements now?

thanks poodlefan.

At the moment she sleeps on the back verandah which is covered & she has a bed there, it has brick walls on either side but open at the front & i think she might prefer having something that keeps the cold out now that it is getting cooler.

I second Poodlefan's suggestion.

When we had a Pyrenean in Melbourne years ago, he had a cubby house knocked up by the ex with the opening to one side, so he could tuck in behind it. Hugo only used it in the very worst weather - much preferred outside (or the bathroom tiles in high summer).

thanks poodlefan.

At the moment she sleeps on the back verandah which is covered & she has a bed there, it has brick walls on either side but open at the front & i think she might prefer having something that keeps the cold out now that it is getting cooler.

Given that that area is waterproof, you could look at something like a huge Varikennel and cover it with blankets.

You could always try and get hold of a timber packing crate :thumbsup: They are well constructed with decent timber - you just need to remove one end or a part of it for an opening! I used to have one for our back verandah, and the dogs loved it :eek:

Would the biggest size of these be big enough?

They look great....Ours sleep inside at night :thumbsup:, but the kennels look great. We have a kennel room and run for when we have our bitch in season or have to be away for longer then 8 hours. But I enjoy our dogs company too much to leave them out at night

My kennel guy built this for me, Jake who was close to 90kg and Donkey a large Anglo Nubian goat slept in it together comfortably when Jake was housed in the emu yard. Wholesale cost was $400, however he swore never to build another one that big :eek:

post-23033-1304673224_thumb.jpg

post-23033-1304673305_thumb.jpg

I have a Newfie who is nearly a year old, she sleeps inside at night but during the day she has an xxlarge kennel but we are now up grading to a cubby house as she likes to share with our Wolfhound X and it is getting a bit too small for both of them.

I would check ebay for a cubby house or giant kennel, you might pick up a bargain :heart:

thanks, the cubby house is looking like a good idea....never would have thought of it myself.

hey thanks everyone.

I really appreciate all your advice. i am going to look at those kennels in the link a bit more - they seem quite big which is good. And I am also going to hunt around for a second hand cubby to see how they compare.

Thanks again - i appreciate all your advice - & so will my dog i am sure :)