Comfrey

Hi Everyone,

I have a 12 month old Siberian with a pelvic fracture. I have been told about the healing benefits of bones with the use of Comfrey. Comfrey, as I understand, is controlled here in Australia. Im just wondering if there are any Newcastle/Hunter people who have or are using Comfrey and where they are sourcing it from.

Thankyou. :laugh:

I have it growing as well, I usually put in a leaf when I am making the HUGE container of dog vegie slops.

It is also yummy if you dip the leaf in an egg batter and fry it...tastes like fish.

here is some info http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-her...on/comfrey.html scroll down until the section:However, there is a major problem: Comfrey for internal use was prohibited in Australia by legislation, which placed it on the Poisons Schedule. Why did comfrey fall to such a fate?

makes interesting reading.

I make up an ointment of crushed up comfrey leaf and aloe vera gel which helps in healing.

there is a horse poultice you can use, horseland sell it, it contains Comfrey already.

Alternatively you can purchase dry comfrey and put a basic poultice on top of the dry leaves.

Warning. If you source live plants, and plant them in your garden, you may have one hell of a time getting rid of it. Keep it in a pot if you want fresh stuff.

I contributed comfrey to a few people's gardens back in my hippie days (before research found that comfrey tea was NOT such a good thing and confrey got banned for internal use) . . . and found myself cursed for decades by people who found that no matter how much digging they did, the stuff always came back.

I have it growing as well, I usually put in a leaf when I am making the HUGE container of dog vegie slops.

It is also yummy if you dip the leaf in an egg batter and fry it...tastes like fish.

here is some info http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-her...on/comfrey.html scroll down until the section:However, there is a major problem: Comfrey for internal use was prohibited in Australia by legislation, which placed it on the Poisons Schedule. Why did comfrey fall to such a fate?

I make up an ointment of crushed up comfrey leaf and aloe vera gel which helps in healing.

Why do you put it in your dogs food when it has the potential to do so much harm when taken internally?

Why do you put it in your dogs food when it has the potential to do so much harm when taken internally?

Hi Becks,

I have always used it,(though that doesn't mean much I realise :-D ) from years ago when farming in NZ and for many years when we had a farm in Qld (goats as well as poultry of all kinds). I mostly made up an ointment but did give small amounts to the birds and animals...the chooks used to peck a little of it when they were allowed in the garden.

If you read further down the link (about 3/4 way dawn), the paragraph that begins with "I was perhaps responsible for 95% of the comfrey in Australia, having introduced the plant to this country in 1954," it will explain more than I can.

This is also an interesting link regarding the ban on comfrey, though the author is a little anti drug companies http://merrilynhope.com/living-without-vitamins/

sandgrubber...you can blame Foster Savage who is the bloke who was responsible for 95% of the comfrey in Australia :laugh:

Edited by Boronia

Warning. If you source live plants, and plant them in your garden, you may have one hell of a time getting rid of it. Keep it in a pot if you want fresh stuff.

That's not a problem here - frost knocks it back.

Hi Everyone,

I have a 12 month old Siberian with a pelvic fracture. I have been told about the healing benefits of bones with the use of Comfrey. Comfrey, as I understand, is controlled here in Australia. Im just wondering if there are any Newcastle/Hunter people who have or are using Comfrey and where they are sourcing it from.

Thankyou. :laugh:

I am not sure about the laws where you are, here in Queensland one can grow it in the garden. Anyway, only after the bones have been set it should be used. There are a number of ways to use it. If he was my dog I would probably try either a poultice, tincture(externally) or get the homeopathic form (symphytum).

Dagmar

I used to have it growing in my garden but my whippets ate it to death! I hope it doesn't give them all liver problems. I have a small pot of it now and they still eat it when there's leaves growing.

they may have eaten it because it has hairy leaves...they may find it's the ideal way to make them huck-up. Penny always eats the leaves of a pretty pink fluffy flowered creeper, the leaves on it are serrated and provide a good stomach irritant for the hoped-for huck. :)