Puppy Eating Stools?

Lynn725

Has anyone been through this kind of problem? My puppy (4months) is constantly eating his poo whenever we are not eyeing on him. Yesterday, he ate his poo and then he threw up, unfortunately I wasn't looking at him at that time then he ate the throw up again, I feel that he is sick now. We feed him 3 times a day and I think it is pretty enough for him, we are feeding him puppy innova.

Has anyone came through this problem and what is the solution?

Thanks!

Edited by Lynn725

I think dogs eating their poo is common.. there has been a few threads about it on DOL.

You can try putting pineapple juice in his meal. Apparently poo will smell and taste gross for them.

Or change his diet up a bit, because he might be missing something in his diet that he needs.

Lyn725 our 11 month old shepherd is eating hers as well as our Labs if she gets chance , I clean it up as soon as they have done it but sometimes it's hard to catch her in time.

I am begining to wonder if its because she is bolting down her food and isn't getting the nutrients out of it,I'm hoping to get one of those food bowls that slows their eating down.

I don't think She is doing it as much now since I have made a gravy, with corn flour for her caserole, hoping that is it anyway.

The pineapple hasn't worked for us, unfortunately.

A common problem I think, and I believe they can grow out of it,it can't happen soon enough for us.

Raw pineapple is what I have used with success ,years ago. That, and a mostly raw diet , with lots of nice soft bone . Unfortunately, a lot of dog foods smell pretty good AFTER they have been digested :laugh: raw /bone based diets don't have the same consistency/smell ..and so are not as attractive as food items (and dogs only see smelly faeces as food items ..not as 'toilet' things) (only my opinion :eek: )

Edited by persephone

I could be totally off the mark here, but I was under the impression that dogs tend to eat their faeces when they're not getting all the nutrients from their food (poor diet, eating too fast, malabsorption)? Meaning that a lot of the nutrients are going straight through them, and so they eat it again a second time trying to regain those nutrients.

Poo eating has nothing to with diet or vitamins or minerals it is just something dogs do. :D

The easiest and cheapest method to stop the dog doing it is to add pineapple to the dogs diet.

Any type of pineapple will do.

I find the easiest one is crushed and I just add a big desert spoonful to the dogs diet.

Now remember this is only effective on dogs that eat their own poo or your other dogs poo.

You feed the dogs the pineapple that get their poo eaten.

If you have a dog that eats others poo at the park it will do no good feeding your dog pineapple.

I could be totally off the mark here, but I was under the impression that dogs tend to eat their faeces when they're not getting all the nutrients from their food (poor diet, eating too fast, malabsorption)? Meaning that a lot of the nutrients are going straight through them, and so they eat it again a second time trying to regain those nutrients.

This is very rare. You could try a change of diet though.

More likely they are bored, or they just like the taste of poo.

Crushed pineapple or pineapple juice can help in some cases (but not all). You can also get a powder (but i've forgotten what it is called)

I really wouldn't be concerned about a dog eating its own poo or dogs it lives with, you'll want to be concered about the dog eating stools outside of your property due to disease and worming issues.

Dogs start and stop this behaviour through their lives and the less attention you give the more likely it is to fade on its own.

It's a natural/normal behaviour for dogs.

If it really does disturb you, you can try a product such as FOR - BID which you can find part way down the page here

fobid.jpg

Has anyone been through this kind of problem? My puppy (4months) is constantly eating his poo whenever we are not eyeing on him. Yesterday, he ate his poo and then he threw up, unfortunately I wasn't looking at him at that time then he ate the throw up again, I feel that he is sick now. We feed him 3 times a day and I think it is pretty enough for him, we are feeding him puppy innova.

Thanks!

:cry:

I think this is rather common, and although there are a number of theories behind it, I dont think that there is an absolute conclusion as to why they do it.

My puppy (4months) is constantly eating his poo whenever we are not eyeing on him. Yesterday, he ate his poo and then he threw up, unfortunately I wasn't looking at him at that time then he ate the throw up again,

:cry: Don't you just love puppy kisses?

I've had a couple pf pups with copraphagia, pineapple didn't work for me but they eventually grew out of it. Not nice at all though, especially when it's done twice!

Thanks!

My BC baby girl ,'Stella' had this revolting habit too. Although she just ate the once, didn't 'enjoy it' twice :cry: And only her own. From when I got her at 3 mths till 4.5 mths of age. I tried pineapple juice, didn't work for her.I did however use' Rescue Remedy'. 4 drops a day for a couple of weeks & she had not done it again. Don't know if it was just coincidence or it really did work but I was just glad she stopped doing it. And it was the only thing I changed in her diet & she has a very good quality of food, Holistic dry food / 4 varieties of raw meats, pasta & vegies & vitamin supplements also each day. My vet recommended I try this product. I always pick up after my furry kids, but she would go to the toilet & eat it almost before ti hit the ground, I had to be very quick & also spend half my day watching her ( which I do anyway ) :wave:

Lola was obsessed with eating any kind of poo - hers, Arnies and the cats poo straight from the litter tray..mmmm yum yum! LOL

It took her a while but she stopped eating hers at around 7 months old. As for the cats, she will still eat it now, I just make sure the litter tray is clean right away so she can't gobble it up!

Her diet was fine, I think she really just loved the taste of it!

Poo eating has nothing to with diet or vitamins or minerals it is just something dogs do. :D

The easiest and cheapest method to stop the dog doing it is to add pineapple to the dogs diet.

Any type of pineapple will do.

I find the easiest one is crushed and I just add a big desert spoonful to the dogs diet.

Now remember this is only effective on dogs that eat their own poo or your other dogs poo.

You feed the dogs the pineapple that get their poo eaten.

If you have a dog that eats others poo at the park it will do no good feeding your dog pineapple.

Or not...considering the number of people here who have already stated it didn't work for them.

Not any type of pineapple will do - Don't use canned - it must be fresh - Pineapple and Papaya are high in proteolytic enzymes. These break down proteins - which includes the proteins in food (and can breakdown intestinal parasites - depending on whos work you read). Without proteolytic enzymes in the gut neither you or your dog can break down the food you eat effectively and will therefore not absorb as much of the nutrients in what you do eat. The reason for fresh is simple - the canning process destroys most of the enzymes in the heat treatment. And again - depending on whos work you read - puppies eating poo could be due to the poo containing traces of proteolytic enzymes.

I have in the past suggested the addition of fresh pineapple to the diet of dogs which are difficult to put weight on - it has worked.

proteolytic enzyme, also called Proteinase, any of a group of enzymes that break the long chainlike molecules of proteins into shorter fragments (peptides) and eventually into their components, amino acids. Proteolytic enzymes are present in bacteria and plants but are most abundant in animals. In the stomach, protein materials are attacked initially by the gastric enzyme pepsin. When the protein material is passed to the small intestine, proteins, which are only partially digested in the stomach, are further attacked by proteolytic enzymes secreted by the pancreas.

These enzymes are liberated in the small intestine from inactive precursors produced by the acinar cells in the pancreas. The precursors are called trypsinogen, chymotrypsinogen, proelastase, and procarboxypeptidase. When the pancreatic enzymes become activated in the intestine, they convert proteins into free amino acids, which are easily absorbed by the cells of the intestinal wall.

Trypsinogen is transformed to trypsin by an enzyme (enterokinase) secreted from the walls of the small intestine. Trypsin then activates the precursors of chymotrypsin, elastase, and carboxypeptidase.

The pancreas produces a protein that inhibits trypsin. It is thought that in this manner the pancreas protects itself from autodigestion.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/278997-foods-high-in-proteolytic-enzymes/