Vic State Governement To Abolish Law That Forces Shelters To Euthanise

Isabel964

The Leader (Mordialloc Chelsea) dates April 25, 2011 states that the Vic Government is looking to abolish a law that currently forces shelters to euthanise animals after 28 days.

Sounds like a good thing. I had no idea this law was in place.

And isn't there some other law changing to allow shelters to euthanise with no minimum time to allow owners t find their pets...not even 3 days?

Edited by Sky

so what happens to dogs that cannot find homes? We warehouse them in kennel runs until they go crazy?

This is a double edged sword that can be abused by those who think they are doing some dogs a favour. I've seen run crazy dogs and it's terrible. There is more to life then just being alive. They should amend the law to 28 days then foster home.

it is part of the re-writing of the code of practice for shelters and pounds. there is no mandatory holding period (i'm not talking quarantine here though) but shelters can still euth animals if they wish, it is just that now they don't have to. in many cases i don't think the animal will be kept for months upon months in the pound/shelter - this gives the org an option to move the animal to a diff pound/rescue/shelter/foster or just give it another week or two that they deem necessary.

importantly it allows for more time to be put into behavioural problems before re-homing an animal - so an animal that had, say, fear issues, could be worked with longer and then adopted, rather than euth'ing them because they didn't have the time to put into the animal to make it safe for adoption.