Tips For Photographing Agility.

Tay.

I've attempted to photograph agility a couple times now and have had no success.

I just can't seem to get anything in focus!

Please, any help is appreciated! I need it! :thumbsup:

(I've used my Canon 1000D with the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III kit lens.)

Edited by DogSportObsessed

i have the same camera i as you and i am still pretty hopeless and learning i will put up some of my "ok" shots of agility.

what helped me was to practice heaps on the one position so i picked either a jump/tunnel/Aframe and i noticed exactly what i needed to improve on as i knew when the dog would come out/ or over :thumbsup:

here are the only two pics that i could find from a trial using my 1000D.

m786s5.jpg

35bfk8x.jpg

Edited by catherine.b

can you post some examples and tell us what your settings were for those shots.

Sure, I'll just have to find them :D

ETA: I uploaded the better shots from two trials to flickr the Exif data is visible too.

The first lot of photos were taken in October when I just got my camera and then second were taken a couple weekends ago - but I couldn't get anything right! The lighting made it kind of hard - broad sunlight in some spots and complete shade in others. :D

Edited by DogSportObsessed

YOu can do one of two things. Put it on autofocus and put it on AI Servo. Set the ISO on 400 so it has a chance for a higher speed (or if you go manual you want 1/1000th with whatever aperture suits).

Or go manual focus and focus on the centre of the jump and put it on F8, 1/1000th and ISO 400 or a little higher (if its sunny 400 will be fine).

Pan with dog and take the photo when the dog should be halfway over the jump. Both methods work but you have to take the pic at the right time for the second one.

ETA: I uploaded the better shots from two trials to flickr the Exif data is visible too.

They look pretty good to me :rofl: I was expecting blurred balls of fluff from your description :rofl: I've only been to one agility trial to practice so far, but found it tricky to get 'nice' looking shots as there is so much clutter and stuff going on in the background at these events. Next time I'll think about my positioning a lot more and practice, practice, practice :rofl:

This was my first attempt....

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z49/scr...20April%202011/

They look pretty good to me :rofl: I was expecting blurred balls of fluff from your description :rofl: I've only been to one agility trial to practice so far, but found it tricky to get 'nice' looking shots as there is so much clutter and stuff going on in the background at these events. Next time I'll think about my positioning a lot more and practice, practice, practice :rofl:

Thanks! :rofl: I took plenty of blurred balls of fluff photos, I just deleted them :rofl:

Lots were like this :rofl:

5671643051_e6b78880a3.jpg

Love your shots :rofl:

Thanks! :rofl: I took plenty of blurred balls of fluff photos, I just deleted them :rofl:

Lots were like this :rofl:

5671643051_e6b78880a3.jpg

Love your shots :rofl:

The camera has focussed on the background - with head on you are best to focus on the rail on manual focus, set it on 1/1000th and F8 (and whatever ISO suits the conditions) and taken the photo as the dog goes over the jump.

The manual focus means the focal point is the bar, the 1/1000th freezes the image and the F8 gives you enough depth of field to have the whole dog in focus not just the bit above the bar. Of course Im assuming you arent on extreme zoom at that point as being on the extreme end of a zoom with cause issues with teh depth of field.

I usually shoot agility in high-speed multishot mode, AI servo, center focus point, AV mode, F2.8 and with an ISO that get's me at least 1/800 of a second (usually ISO 100).

Lots of my agility shots are here:

http://www.lukewilby.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=16624

Picking your spot to shot from is half the battle.

Here's a couple of random samples.

_MG_0891_s.jpg

_MG_6825.jpg

_MG_1063_s.jpg

Edited by Luke W

PS - when shooting in HS - I will start tracking the dog as it approaches the position I want the dog to be in. When it's nearly there, I start shooting. I might shoot 4 or more frames to get 1 keeper.

Another tip, don't shoot on full zoom (ie 300) as this will make the shots a bit fuzzy.

Remember on ai servo mode that the camera is constantly searching for a focus point so busy areas with lots of poles/uprights will be hard for it to focus on what you want while panning.

Eg if the dog is coming towards you & you have an unobstructed view of the dog, it will be easier to get focus correct. however If you are shooting from the side & there are jumps between you & the dog, that the dog goes past, the camera will focus on those jumps on the way through. Hope that makes sense.

Bright sunlight or shade is hard. Even harder when there are patches of both. I generally get my best shots in the early morning or late afternoon

I have a similar lense in nikon, F8 is it's sweet spot at about 200-250mm. If I can't get a shutter speed of 800 or higher, I don't bother

Edited by Vickie

YOu can do one of two things. Put it on autofocus and put it on AI Servo. Set the ISO on 400 so it has a chance for a higher speed (or if you go manual you want 1/1000th with whatever aperture suits).

Or go manual focus and focus on the centre of the jump and put it on F8, 1/1000th and ISO 400 or a little higher (if its sunny 400 will be fine).

Pan with dog and take the photo when the dog should be halfway over the jump. Both methods work but you have to take the pic at the right time for the second one.

I was going to suggest the manual focus too, I used this to take photos of cycling and they move a lot faster then dogs, makes life easier

I'll also point out you can set some cameras (well the 7D) to avoid 'stuff' coming into frame though I never had a problem with jump wings especially getting in the way but then I use to only take the photos I needed (2 or 3 at a jump) and kept the centre point on the dog. The cameras if they are quick enough to pick up a wing will be quick enough to go back to the subject.

However head on autofocus sometimes no matter how brilliant the camera they will struggle to keep up with the dog so their feet will be right but the head might be out if its a darker dog or not really nice a brightly lit.

• 2 months later...

Ooh look - there's Indi... in the weaves.

I'm finding this thread a bit scary cos I thought a fancy Digital SLR would fix my point and grab shots but maybe not.

With the point and shoot camera to get good action shots I needed bright even sunlight, and to preset as many settings as possible. Especially focus and lighting and fastest shutter speed possible. And then to hold the camera as still as possible ie leaning on something sturdy like a fence post and wait for the animal to come into shot - well I'd actually press the button just as the animal took off and generally the lag time meant I got the picture of the critter over the jump. (was horses at 3 day not dogs).

I was out there this arvo but I'm not keen to go watch tomorrow with the crap weather forecast.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/sa.asp