Fighting Council Dog By-laws

Remarkabull

I wish you all the best with this one, it's such a silly law. It isn't so much how many dogs but how they are looked after. Within reason I can't see anyone in suburbia haqving 20 dogs. Most are like you they may have 3 or 4 small ones. Whatever it s just a silly law.

My OH is in ADF and he was posted here but the ranger has told us that that is not a good enough reason for us to be able to keep all 3 dogs.

Dogs are 4, 2 and 1 years old. My bitch is desexed, the 2 year old Malt x Shih Tzu is getting desexed next week. We are not sure yet if we will desex the Dobe (no reason to, we don't have any entire bitches, nor will he have access to one) but if that would make a difference in the application then we would have him done too.

ETA We are in Palmerston City Council area

I'm waiting for a call back from a few people about this. I'll post any updates here.

I received a written reply from the Palmerston Rangers. They've stated that they have a responsibility to enforce the bylaws in order to preserve their urban amenity and public safety.

In considering an application for a licence to keep more than two dogs, they take into account facilities for controlling the dogs at the premises, the number of dogs and the likely impact on residents. They also do an inspection and consult with all of your neighbours. If issued, the licence can be cancelled if the dogs become a nuisance or breach any of the Animal Management By-Laws.

According to them, the exceptional circumstances criteria do not favour nor are designed to disadvantage any particular group. In this particular case, I believe they are disadvantaging any Defence family ordered to Darwin that arrives with more than two dogs. Now that we know about Palmerston's dog laws, any new family going in could try to avoid a house in that council but it may not be possible. The ranger did suggest Litchfield as they have no restrictions on dog numbers but houses may not be available there either.

They've said that it is unusual that a person would wish to keep more than two dogs at a premises and it is discouraged for a variety of reasons, including to ensure they do not have excessive numbers of dogs being kept in high density residential areas.

Although I specifically asked for the criteria for exceptional circumstances in both our phone call and email, that information wasn't provided.

On to the next step as discussed in a PM to the OP.

In the meantime, as it appears that the neighbours views on the matter are taken into consideration, it might be worthwhile to approach each one, tell them what's going on and ask if they would mind giving you a short letter of support that you can present to the council with your application. Also submit photos of the yard showing how the dogs will be contained, a statutory declaration about any training that they done and if possible, contact your previous council and ask them for something in writing confirming that there were no complaints lodged.

Edited by Dxenion

They've said that it is unusual that a person would wish to keep more than two dogs at a premises

How exactly is it unusual? :cheer:

Some people manage 3 dogs just fine, while some other people can barely manage one!

I need to move in a few months and I had a couple of Palmerston suburbs on my list..... not anymore.

Some further information from the Ranger:

There isn't a one size fits all criteria for exceptional circumstances. Each case is assessed on its own merits.

An example of an exceptional circumstance is a close family member passes away and the dog is either willed to you or you offer to take it because no one else can but you already have 2 dogs. A licence would be more likely to be granted. Another example might be that your dogs are highly trained dogs.

The indication was that more than 2 dogs that are family pets and nothing more would not be considered an unusual/ exceptional situation.

If you do have an unusual situation, evidence to support that situation along with responsible dog ownership paperwork (ie copy of permit to have more than 2 dogs at your previous address, copies of references from former neighbours and a statement from your former council), a statement from yourself about how you care for your dogs (ie bathing, worming, vaccinations, training, bedding - think pet resume) and any evidence of belonging to and being an active participant in a dog club or dog sport organisation would help. As the Ranger pointed out - you only get one shot at getting the licence.

I got the impression that if you are already there and your circumstance isn't considered as unusual, even letters from your new neighbours supporting your application wouldn't help. I'm not sure why because consideration for the likely impact more than 2 dogs would have on your neighbours seems to carry a lot of weight.

I asked about the fees involved and why they are so high. I was advised that the $140 (non refundable) application fee together with the annual $190 licence fee was set high to discourage ownership of more than two dogs.

I got the impression that they are trying really hard to reduce the dog numbers within the council boundary and are worried that if they relax the exceptional ruling, the flood gates will open.

There might be an avenue where you can apply in advance if you consider your situation is exceptional (ie unusual). The council might issue a provisional licence pending the confirmation of the address you're moving to so as to determine its suitability for the number of dogs you're applying for. The Ranger is looking into this now. It doesn't help those already in this situation but it might help those who have advanced warning of a posting to Darwin.

I'll post more information as it becomes available.

So..... What does NT law say? Is it specific in stating that you cant have more than two dogs without a permit?

This crap about it all being taken on a case by case basis is something that is everywhere and wide open to corruption.

Who do you have to take out to lunch or sleep with?

Great work on collating this info Dxenion.

Time to perhaps join Dogs NT or one of the obedience clubs if you haven't already dobesrock :dancingelephant:

dobesrock is a member of DODC and I've seen her checking out dog shows ;)

Keep trying DR

Fingers are crossed for some good news for you :rofl:

ETA: Archeron has met Dozer :p

Edited by itsmeg

Great work on collating this info Dxenion.

Time to perhaps join Dogs NT or one of the obedience clubs if you haven't already dobesrock ;)

dobesrock is a member of DODC and I've seen her checking out dog shows :rofl:

Point her out to me next time, will ya? :p

DR please make sure this thread is kept up to date with happenings..... this info may be of use to me very soon!

I hope everything works out.

Seriously though...if the council wants to stop the 'epidemic' of dogs, how about they get off their butts and impound the ones that are straying, fine the owners for straying animals and fine people for not picking up their dog's poo? It wouldn't surprise me if a number of the stray dogs don't actually have owners.

I have been in contact with Dxenion by PM and I have sent a email to someone in Defence requesting their assistance in this matter. I will update as I receive any new information.

My OH has been in contact with the Ranger and was told that we 'may' be considered an exceptional case (OH kept on and on about how the dogs are a part of our family and not just a pet that lives in the back yard and that by denying us the permit he was condemning one of our family members to a very uncertain future, possibly even death) and has agreed to give us until September to put together our application for the licence (OH is going away for 3 months soon, hence the extra time allowed for us). I still don't like our chances but at least we now have a little time up our sleeves.

Thanks so much to Dxenion who has been a fountain of information and has done the things that I should be doing but am struggling to ATM.

So..... What does NT law say? Is it specific in stating that you cant have more than two dogs without a permit?

Regardless of what the NT law says, local government can make their own laws restricting numbers of dogs permitted for example.