Puppy Pen - Flooring

Tibbiemax71

I have a litter of 1 and a half week old Tibetan Spaniel pups. At the moment Mum and baby's are in a pen in a whelping box. What is the best material to have down on the floor of the pen for when they are old enough to run around? I thought of Lino but that would be too slippery?? I had an idea to put news paper or puppy pads at one end, but wanted an easy to clean material down on the rest, that was also have some grip so that the puppy's feet don't slip when they are walking.

I have a litter of 1 and a half week old Tibetan Spaniel pups. At the moment Mum and baby's are in a pen in a whelping box. What is the best material to have down on the floor of the pen for when they are old enough to run around? I thought of Lino but that would be too slippery?? I had an idea to put news paper or puppy pads at one end, but wanted an easy to clean material down on the rest, that was also have some grip so that the puppy's feet don't slip when they are walking.

I use newspaper.

Until they move out of the whelping box I use a folded flannelete sheet for mum to lay on and pups too - also newspaper for them as well in there - this needs to be changed daily so I do have a few sheets - as they get older about 3 weeks we move them from the whelping box and into a pen - at one end but quite close to begin I have newspaper for their toilet and again a folded flannelette sheet to sleep on but as they grow more and start to get up on their feet and need more space I put down a rubber mat - availble from clarkes rubber about $20 sold as a boot mat between sleeping area and toilet - this gives plenty of grip for walking - I have two of these so one in one getting hosed clean.

Some girls - like one of mine are shredders and won't put up with anything in the box that they can dig at and even bury the pups under - then while in the whelping box I found a piece of carpet secured the best - again had a couple to change.

Good thing about the first 3 weeks is mum cleans up - after they start to eat its your turn - I found this link very helpful about toilet training - first few days a bit of work making sure no pee or poo are on the floor wipe up as close to immediately as possible but within a few days they all just use the paper and that makes cleaning so much more easy. I didn't have a complete separate section like in the link for the toilet area but had a long pen with paper down one end and sleeping the other and play on the rubber mat between - I also put the toilet newspaper paper in a car boot tray to keep it from being pulled around - works for a while but pups don't respect anything once they get a bit oplder.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingdogs/p...ppies3weeks.htm

Hope this helps - it works fine for me so far.

Cheap soft blanket things from variety store, homeart etc or op shops at first with newspaper/puppy pads for toilet at one end.

They are easy to just pick up & change & wash once or twice or more a day & help until their little feet grip enough for a harder surface.

My friend's litter has just gone to new homes and she bought from Clark Rubber the non slip matting that goes under floor rugs or you put on the highchair tables of kids to stop their bowls sliding around. It wasn't slippery for the pups to move around on and moisture could go straight through to the newspaper underneath and each day she would take it outside, hose it off and it would be dry in no time ready to use again.

I was going to mix and match mine... paper for their toilet area and I wanted to grab some carpet pieces for their play area and I have some foam pieces etc, I wanted to try to get them a few different surfaces to try out. Under all of this I have builders plastic to protect the carpet :o

I still need to work out what they are going to have as their bed when I move the whelping box out shortly.

I went to Bunnings and bought a couple of metres of cheap lino and put that over the tiles then covered the lino with newspaper. The lino had sort of a "rough" surface so it was non-slippery. Easy to keep clean and then I threw it out when the puppies went to their new homes. :D