Choosing A Breeder?

Guest HarperGD

Guest rhy&ge

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on choosing a breeder in NSW. After much contemplation, we have decided a toy poodle would make a beautiful addition to our family of 2 (my partner and me! :thumbsup:)

However, I have no idea where to start - I have come across many breeders, but how do I know who is trustworthy???

I was in your position almost exactly 2 years ago!!!

I spoke to everyone at my dog training club who had a dog of the breed I wanted and got recommendations from them about kennels they had dogs from or who they thought were reputable.

I was lucky enough that a couple were also breeders and the most important things they told me were the questions to ask any breeders who I spoke to, and what sort of answers I should be hearing from them (so mainly to do with health testing that is done, being able to see results of health testing, being able to meet some of their dogs before necessarily looking at any pups, recommendations from other puppy buyers, etc). They also discussed with me the questions that good breeders should be asking me.

I then went to a couple of shows and had a chat to a few breeders and just had a look a the dogs that were there.

Then... I short listed about 10 breeders who I thought could offer me what I wanted and contacted them primarily by email with a bit of a blurb about me and what I was looking for in a dog and asked a few questions. Anyone who immediately replied saying they'd love for me to have one of their dogs was immediately struck off the list (I hadn't included what I thought was enough info about me in my first contact for someone to be happy to sell me a puppy - so I sort of felt like these people may not really be the places I wanted a dog from).

So I ended up speaking to 3 different breeders all who were excellent. They gave me a lot of information, they asked me a lot of questions, they also recommended other breeders that I may be able to contact. In the end 2 of them had litters at a time that worked well for me, one of them slightly better and that's where young Kenzie came from!!

In all honesty it was a decent 6 month process, partly to do with me wanting a pup at the start of my summer holidays (I probably could have had one earlier but I wanted to spend time at home with her at first).

If you have a local dog club you can get to ask people who have the breed you're looking for. Speak to breeders even if they don't have a litter right now because good ones will be happy to talk to you about what you MUST know and how to interpret information - they want to promote good breeding and people buying healthy pups of their breed. When you do finally short list the breeders you're interested in there will be an element of "gut-feeling" and usually it's right (just make sure you listen to it before you set eyes on any pups!!!).

And as was also said, speak to people in the poodle thread as they will be worth their weight in gold in terms of information. You will end up learning more than you thought was possible on your puppy journey - especially because you've started it on DOL!!! :)

Glad you have decided on a puppy.

Its the old "Choose your breed, choose your breeder" :) .

Find a breeder who is willing to help you, give you advice on everything and anything, someone you can talk to with easy, and of course, cares for their furbabies.

Ask plenty of questions! A good breeder will be open about all answer

With so many shonky breeders of Toy Poodles around, I suggest you start with a few successful show breeders and go from there. If they don't have any puppies they should be able to refer other reputable breeders who may or may not show their dogs.

A dog show would be a good place to start talking to breeders.

Hi rhy,

I think a good place to start for the kind of info you are after is this thread here.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=179286&hl=

I'd be popping into the Poodle thread as well.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=86415

Good luck! :)

x 2 - please do pop in - we're a friendly lot and there is a wealth of information available

With so many shonky breeders of Toy Poodles around, I suggest you start with a few successful show breeders and go from there. If they don't have any puppies they should be able to refer other reputable breeders who may or may not show their dogs.

A dog show would be a good place to start talking to breeders.

I agree dancinbcs.

I know I will be in trouble for saying this but people who show and breed have a reputation to maintain.

Yes we know that there are many reputable breeders that do not show but they can be few and far between. :)

A short piece of advice from limited experience- Select a breeder that other breeders like and respect.

And preferably visit their house and see how the dogs live.

Yes. home visit is always the best. You can get some suprises. Wonderful & :D

A website is just a website.

Show is fine for a look around & to meet people but people may also be busy & not have chance to chat unless you time it right, after the judging. Preparation & waiting to go in the ring does not always make people feel inclined to chat, I found a few times. Lots of breeders in NSW so good luck with a great breed choice. You will love your baby, they are such fun.

Whenever I see the poodles being groomed at shows, it occurs to me that shows are probably not the best place to chat to breeders. The poodle people are BUSY, and often look very stressed....and being that the breed is well into the second half of the program, they get done with breed judging and group judging is on.

I just can't imagine someone with a casual enquiry, wanting a lengthy chat, is going to get a warm, friendly reception from someone wielding a handful of brushes and scissors, with hairspray by their elbow and often a comb and a few clips in their mouth.

Whenever I see the poodles being groomed at shows, it occurs to me that shows are probably not the best place to chat to breeders. The poodle people are BUSY, and often look very stressed....and being that the breed is well into the second half of the program, they get done with breed judging and group judging is on.

I just can't imagine someone with a casual enquiry, wanting a lengthy chat, is going to get a warm, friendly reception from someone wielding a handful of brushes and scissors, with hairspray by their elbow and often a comb and a few clips in their mouth.

That is true.

By observing people at dog shows and not interrupting them, you can get clues as well.

The handler might be stressed, but how are the poodles? The poodle breeders that impress me at shows have dogs that seem to love to be groomed. There is never rough handling and the dog is relaxed for its long final grooming session. If they have other dogs there a concern is made that the dogs waiting are not upset by things and are kept happy. For a breed that is known for being excitable, it is a credit to those breeders that have a relationship with their dogs that makes showing stress-free for the dog, if not the handler.

Contrast this with a breeder that has to physically restrain the dog being groomed in a forceful way, and who has other dogs in crates, exposed to unnecessary stimulation and paying no attention to them. Dogs barking or showing aggression. That might indicate that the dogs are not used to being handled, that they are nervy, or that the breeder isn't that concerned for their happiness. It might just indicate that somebody is having a bad day too. But I find it interesting to observe and see differences at shows.

The dogs you see at shows are the potential parents of the next litters. Have a look around a show and imagine what sort of mum and dad you would like your dog to have and how you would expect them to behave. :cheer:

Most poodle folk are more than happy to chat after judging. Most of the time they'll tell folk to come back a bit later on. No matter when the Group is judged, there's usually plenty of down time.

Guest rhy&ge

Thanks for all your responses! I have made contact with a few breeders and now it's just a matter of taking the next step and doing some visits.

I'm not too worried anymore - I have a feeling that if I trust my gut I'll find my perfect baby :rofl: hehe.