Training Dog To Ignore Humans Trying To Get Its Attention

OK, this is actually a show question but I thought I might get better answers in here. The ultimate answer may be the show answer, which is to turn around and kick up a fuss in the ring about your exhibit being interfered with. If I can get the dogs to ignore it tho', that would also be good.

So. Twice this weekend my OH has been handling dogs and someone has dirty handled from behind by distracting our dog. One person used the dog's name and the other used the "puppy puppy puppy" call that a lot of breeders use to call puppies. The net effect is that your dog turns around and usually that looks ungainly, breaks their stride and can also make them look spooky. So not a good look. And if you're wondering if the "puppy puppy puppy" was innocent, the person didn't do it when gaiting their dog by itself. Calling the dog in front of you by name in the ring can't be called innocent in anyone's language.

I'm not sure whether training a dog to ignore their name from someone else would be sensible or realistic. There is less drama about undoing the "puppy puppy" stuff but that is pretty early wiring for most dogs so might be tricky.

If you were going to try to train either of these, what would you think the prospects would be and how would you go about it? Or do we just start shirtfronting people in the ring? :o

I would set up the exact situation and only train the 'ignoring' in that context. I wouldn't want to condition the dog to not listen to their name or the puppy puppy in any situation apart from the one you've mentioned so i think the training would have to be very specific.

In addition, a correction for the person being a pain in the butt would need to be well timed and at a high level!! :o

Perhaps try conditioning your dog to someone other than yourself calling his name and also "pup pup" to look to you? So basically, someone calls name or puppy puppy and YOU give a high reward. It would be tricky - it's asking the dog to not respond or at least check in to see who's calling, to see if s/he should respond or not.

The show world can be so unsportsmanlike, can't it? I got out of horse 'roundy roundy' showing for the same reasons and ventured into eventing instead. There could still be a bit of skulduggery but it was much much nicer than the other.

I'd be thinking you had a nice pup if someone went to those lengths :) I had someone do the same thing to my Dally with a squeaky toy - Zig went crazy, I stayed calm, used all the cues I could think of and dog gaited long enough for judge to give us the class. Practice for sure but your bond will improve as pup matures - plenty of time to show up your rivals :laugh:

How about playing 'look at that', but with humans instead of dogs? You basically click for every slight glance towards the human/distraction, and eventually the dog starts offering the glances as a trick, and stops treating it as a distraction. Because he knows he doesn't have to worry about the distraction anymore (because he was allowed to look at it) and because you are also using a bit of premack, it means he ends up focusing on you rather than the distraction. Bit of reverse psychology.

Not getting into the politics of showing... :) In competition level Obedience trialling we train for distractions...its called positive proofing. Your dog needs to know and understand the behaviour you are asking of it...ie gait without losing attention I assume?

I would start with a low level of distraction that your dog can easily ignore and reward that. Gradually up the ante until the greater the distraction the more the dog will focus on the taught behaviour. Ordinarily I don't like using the dogs name as a distraction to proof against but I would consider calling 'puppy puppy puppy' fair distraction. (its not just breeders that use that call..I think most of our dogs would respond to that if not proofed) We have gone to the extreme of having someone calling our dog by name in training but that is only when the dog is very well trained and knows his job.

Remember its positive proofing so you need to reward big time and often when the dog gets it right and if he gets it wrong you need to back off a bit and set him up to be right so he can earn a reward. Its worth training and the confidence you will both gain may just give you the winning edge over the low lifes trying to mess you up...wouldn't that be justice!!! :thumbsup:

OK, this is actually a show question but I thought I might get better answers in here. The ultimate answer may be the show answer, which is to turn around and kick up a fuss in the ring about your exhibit being interfered with. If I can get the dogs to ignore it tho', that would also be good.

So. Twice this weekend my OH has been handling dogs and someone has dirty handled from behind by distracting our dog. One person used the dog's name and the other used the "puppy puppy puppy" call that a lot of breeders use to call puppies. The net effect is that your dog turns around and usually that looks ungainly, breaks their stride and can also make them look spooky. So not a good look. And if you're wondering if the "puppy puppy puppy" was innocent, the person didn't do it when gaiting their dog by itself. Calling the dog in front of you by name in the ring can't be called innocent in anyone's language.

I'm not sure whether training a dog to ignore their name from someone else would be sensible or realistic. There is less drama about undoing the "puppy puppy" stuff but that is pretty early wiring for most dogs so might be tricky.

If you were going to try to train either of these, what would you think the prospects would be and how would you go about it? Or do we just start shirtfronting people in the ring? :laugh:

SSM, I'm happy to provide a dog to do the dirty tricks and suggestions if you and Bear want to do some practical training.

Working on a focus word and quickly regaining focus would be one way. I got some great advice on stopping folk running up you arse when I had some lessons in Victoria. :laugh:

As your puppy ages and becomes a bit more savvy with the show ring, I think they will end up ignoring people other than the handler, anyway.

Agree with this with the one dog who is only young, the other dog was quite a bit older and that was the dog whose name was called unfortunately.

Lots of helpful suggestions here, thanks. Will think on it. I can't use anything that requires the dog to look at the handler mid gait as it will throw their front out.

I can't use anything that requires the dog to look at the handler mid gait as it will throw their front out.

That makes it a bit tricky. Is there something you can carry with you to get them to target with their nose while you're moving? I'm guessing reaching your hand out would throw your gait off if you could even reach that far ahead.

As your puppy ages and becomes a bit more savvy with the show ring, I think they will end up ignoring people other than the handler, anyway.

Agree with this with the one dog who is only young, the other dog was quite a bit older and that was the dog whose name was called unfortunately.

Lots of helpful suggestions here, thanks. Will think on it. I can't use anything that requires the dog to look at the handler mid gait as it will throw their front out.

It would in the ring but in training you can afford to do it in order to proof the dog. Maybe teach a "steady" that sees the dog briefly focus on the handler then move forward.. ?

Isn't that cheating? (I mean calling out another dogs name so they break gait).

Surely the judge would see this?

I taught my guide dog puppy the command "forward" which meant she had to look straight ahead and not become distracted. Are you allowed to give commands to your dog in the show ring? It was similar to teaching heel except only rewarding her (with food) when her head was looking forward. Then you can get people to add in other distractions and give the command. In some cases we also used leash corrections (eg sniffing on the ground, attempting to chase something) but I am not sure you would want to do that for responding to its name!!!

Isn't that cheating? (I mean calling out another dogs name so they break gait).

Surely the judge would see this?

I taught my guide dog puppy the command "forward" which meant she had to look straight ahead and not become distracted. Are you allowed to give commands to your dog in the show ring? It was similar to teaching heel except only rewarding her (with food) when her head was looking forward. Then you can get people to add in other distractions and give the command. In some cases we also used leash corrections (eg sniffing on the ground, attempting to chase something) but I am not sure you would want to do that for responding to its name!!!

Yes you can do pretty much anything with motivators and commands in the show ring, and I rather like the idea of a "forward" command. Thank you.

As for cheating, plenty of judges and stewards overlook dirty handling and rough handling for political or personal reasons. Some will make the exhibitors go around again and say "leave a space" or ask you to gait separately. With rough handling some will step in and tell the exhibitor to back off, many won't. Some will punish dirty handling by not awarding the person doing it, but that's not very common. Sometimes part of dirty handling is to intimidate the judge, not the other exhibitors. To make a complaint stick you need the complaint fee plus something in addition to your word against theirs - either a witness or some video. It's a lot of trouble to go to for something that is ultimately just a dog show. That's why I like the idea of proofing it instead.

I train my dogs to gait on the cue "gait". I C&T dogs looking forward (not at me), and moving forward (not crabbing), and moving appropriately (not galloping or walking). I guess you could train a really good "gait" or "forward" cue which could also be used as a 'reminder' if the dog gets distracted (i.e. you can recue).