Info No Longer Required

Guest english.ivy

DIY fencing , unless you are very expereinced at it, usually ends in dogs escaping.

If you are going to leave them in a run, it's best that they are left on concrete or it has a concrete footing. Dogs easily dig and push under DIY fencing, or they simply put pressure on it , if it's not strained properly and walk through it.

You would need to extra long star pickets and either a double height dog mesh or cyclone mesh, both of which will need to be strained. By the time you buy all of the gear, a gate and do it properly, you may as well have purchased a run.

Not if you use mesh panels, they are cheaper than pool fencing and very sturdy, I have 6' star pickets a foot into the ground and they aren't going anywhere. We had a mini cyclone go through in summer that flattened sheds and my fence didn't budge.

Hmmmm, you have me interested now WnH!!! What sort of mesh panels are they???? Where are they available from? Would

they be suitable for making pens for pet sheep or soft animals that dont push?? Im looking for ideas to create some pens for sheep and llamas for possible containment when sick etc..... :cheer:

I got mine from stratco ages ago but most fencing or rural steel supply places should have them, sometimes you can pick them up second hand too they are usually 3m long and vary in height. I like the rolled style in my pic above because you can just slot them over the star picket but you can get flat ones too which you can wire onto the picket the last time I looked at them the flat ones were only about $30, when I got the rolled edge ones they were only $65 a panel but they've gone up a bit since then I think.

ETA panels on eBay like mine Link

These are the flat sort that are quite a bit cheaper but they have to be tied on with wire Link

Edited by WoofnHoof

Guest english.ivy

Cool, thanks Woof. The fencing you have is the old school pool fencing. My Aunt had that stuff around her pool, but higher I would think, many moons ago!

I made my dog run out of mesh panels (from our local hardware/Bunnings) and star pickets, it's not going anywhere either, sturdy as.

I had to make mine a bit higher though, as Minty jumps 5 foot easily.

The gal fencing panels on Ebay look much sturdier than the mesh ones though. :cheer:

Another option is to buy (depending on what height you need it) the temporary fencing (cyclone) that is used around building sites, but that is a bit more exy.

Edited by Cazablanca

Yep that makes sense it looks like some people call it pool fencing but I've always thought of pool fencing as the tubular stuff so it gets confusing! :cheer: the roll top is great because it just slots over the star pickets so most of my fence didn't need to be wired up only a couple of gaps needed to be pulled together.