Crazy Male When Bitch On Heat

jojo666

He has gone off he's food.. It's as if he wants to eat but he can't get her out of his head.. :thumbsup: I think he doesn't even know what's going on.. He's on this love drug.. I've never seen him like this before, he's usually a placid, easy going dog, so I am hoping he settles with age, it would be his first time with this intensive smell going on..

I actually bought a knickers for her, hoping it would work as a chastity belt like contraption, she does look quite cute in her sexy knickers, maybe that's too much of a turn on for him.. LOL

Thanks again..

I know you're joking...but you are talking about a dog right?

What breed are they? How old's the boy? :eek:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A person is not stupid because they maybe didn't think to ask the questions. We all learn from our mistakes. You are only stupid if you make the same mistakes more than once.

It is very easy to be judgemental when you are knowledgable dog savvy person

Excellent post. :thumbsup:

All of us are always learning, no one knows everything.

Even though I would consider that I know far more than joe average, I have refrained from asking questions that I would have liked some knowledgable answers from, because I KNEW most of the answers would be snide and belittling.

Think back to when you started on DOL, and think of where you are now. Isn't it the point of this forum to educate people and help the become "dog savvy"?

To the OP: owning entire dogs is a lot of hard work. How you describe your male is exactly the behaviour I get from my boy. I also recommend desexing when they are old enough if they are not required to be entire for showing/ breeding. I find my male far too unpredictable because he has this drive that I cannot control, mainly in regards to recall and training. If he gets a girly scent, that is the end of him. He zones out, he cannot ever be offleash, he wont eat, he gets very loud and overprotective. He has even cocked his leg and marked me. He drives me nuts. When he is just being him without the distractions he is a beautiful, big, loving sook. I much prefer desexed males.

Some might be, but not all of us are. I have never owned entire dogs or bitches therefore I have never bred a litter and the OP did come on here for advice BUT I can;t understand why she didn't at least have some idea of what was in store. Surely this should have researched before her bitch came into season. It can't be a good thing for either the dog or the bitch involved when natural instincts takeover. I actually feel sorry for the dog in question.

How entire male dogs react to a bitch in season can vary greatly from dog to dog. My entire dog only really worries about an in season bitch for the few days she's standing. When the bitch across the road comes in season he sits on the lounge and howls mournfully for a few days but never tries to escape to get to her and he has been used so he knows what it is all about. Some males are the opposite and will realy fret around a bitch in season and you won't know what your dog is like till you encounter the situation.

So true Janba, Lewis gets sad but still eats etc and doesn't become a looney or anything.

I know that many people say they get sick of seeing the same mistakes being made or the same questions being asked. While I can understand the frustration it is the FIRST time that particular person has asked them. They don't know that that question may have been asked a hundred times before.

It is an opportunity to educate and help someone out, we quite possiblya ll started with very different ideas than we have now. I am the kind of person that if someone gets on their high horse about something it is more likely to annoy me and stubborn sets in. If something is discussed in a civil fashion with knowledgable answers then I am all ears. If it annoys people that much to answer a question yet again, then don't if the answer is going to be inflammatory.

I know that many people say they get sick of seeing the same mistakes being made or the same questions being asked. While I can understand the frustration it is the FIRST time that particular person has asked them. They don't know that that question may have been asked a hundred times before.

Exactly! Sometimes people act like people should know everything before they get the dog but a lot of people learn after they get the dog and that's fine. I appreciate that if you want to breed you should be researching beforehand but if you're getting a pet, you frequently learn as you go and it's better to ask than not ask.

Also, I'd say that the whole desex/don't desex thing isn't necessarily a clear-cut issue. Some people say you should desex, some people are violently opposed to it - it's good to hear the good and bad of both sides of the equation - especially if the consequences of an Ooops Litter are so ghastly (DOL Disapprobation aside!) I'd never have an undexed dog (mine are pets) so didn't know about the noisy side of things - just knew about the messy side of things if you have a female.

Why would you want a bitch in heat all the time? Desex them! Easy.

Obviously I'm not talking about breeders, but clearly this person is not a breeder.

She might be showing, or planning to but, of course, let's make the assumption that she's either:

a.Stupid

b.Planning to become a BYB

SOOOOO much easier than trying to be helpful :thumbsup:

There is no need to be nasty to someone. Your right though, I did assume that if someone was interested in showing as you suggest, they would have some kind of idea about dogs!!

Edited by Lindainfa

A person is not stupid because they maybe didn't think to ask the questions. We all learn from our mistakes. You are only stupid if you make the same mistakes more than once.

It is very easy to be judgemental when you are knowledgable dog savvy person

Thank you for one of the few helpful & intelligent posts on this thread :thumbsup: Yes, I think people tend to forget that we were all newbies once - the 1st litter I ever bred I was on the phone to the breeder of my bitch (in New Zealand :) ) every few hours :eek:

Thankyou to all the helpful people out there, you know who you are.. I feel i don't need to justify myself to all the negative people in this thread.. I am pretty sure you smart people were beginners too and asked stupid questions.. i have researched my breed but nothing told me that the male would be this much of a pain in the butt, he's never acted this way in the past 3 years. I asked a question, and i received great advice.. Thanks for the links, sorry i didn't realize the subject had been posted, I am new to DOL.. Thanks again lovely people! :thumbsup:

i have researched my breed but nothing told me that the male would be this much of a pain in the butt, he's never acted this way in the past 3 years.

Not much to do with breed ..but everything to do with hormones, and the drive to reproduce :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing photos of your dogs when things settle down a bit !

Unless you've seen it, you can know intellectually that you have to keep them separate but it's only with experience that you realise how nutty the boys can go and how separate separate has to be!

Agree with Alyosha that they tend to get better with age. My oldest male was really stupid around girls as a young one, now he restricts his obsessive behaviour to when the girls are actually ready to stand. I think the younger dogs can get awfully confused. Also agree with the others that what works depends on the dog and your infrastructure at home. Some boys are quieter when they can see the bitch, some aren't. You either hunker down and deal with it, or board the dog. The latter is by far the safest option providing the kennel is a good one.

Edited to put a missing noun in!

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Once when our bitch was in season my husband took our stud dog, Lennon, to work with him (as he usually did) he stopped at the petrol station about 2k down the road and, when he opened the door, Lennon jumped out & started to run back home :confused: . Fortunately, that was back in the days when Yarrambat was a fairly quiet place, so not much traffic on the road.

The following week, after a few matings, Lennon would be at the door in the morning BEGGING to be taken to work - the only way he could get some rest. :D

I consider myself to be reasonably dog savvy, and having an entire male in the same house as a bitch in season sounded like it would be easy to manage. Especially with the set up we have here. No pens or runs, but a large and secure courtyard and backyard, large house with separate entrances the dogs could use without coming face to face. In theory it sounded like a walk in the park.

But nothing at all prepared us for 25 kgs of raging testosterone, all bundled up in a 10 month old puppy who was yet to grow a brain. One evening at the height of hell, I looked at my husband and the description that came to mind was "shell-shocked".

Research didn't prepare us for it, nothing did.

If he's three and you aren't using him in an ANKC registered breeding program, then he's fine to neuter and you can be sure that it's not going to happen again.

+1

Best of luck though with the remainder of the season, I don't envy you!

It is important to remember that not all males will carry on like pork chops over bitches in season, it is a massive generalisation that they all lose their minds. It is a very individual thing.

Keeping them totally separate has always worked for me and I mean totally. No swapping them around so one is in and one is out, total segregation. Of course many people do not have the facilities to do this so removing one of them may be necessary.