Italian Sheepdog?

corvus

Today I had the pleasure to meet a charming dog that was medium sized and had a short, flocked coat. Well, a long coat, but the flocks were short. Her owner said she was an Italian sheepdog. Is this the same as a Bergamasco? She looked like one. A very cool dog! She was gentle and sweet, and reminded me of Kivi. Kivi and she exchanged gentle nose touches and she let me and OH feel her coat and gave us gentle nose touches as well. I was pretty taken with her. :)

It sounds like it, although the bergamascos i knew (in Switzerland) were never matted (and i knew a few). I was very surprised when I recently googled images of bergamascos and most of them were completely matted. I don't like it, but then I guess, the shepherds don't have much time to groom their dogs (or the dogs don't have much time to be groomed).

It sounds like it, although the bergamascos i knew (in Switzerland) were never matted (and i knew a few). I was very surprised when I recently googled images of bergamascos and most of them were completely matted. I don't like it, but then I guess, the shepherds don't have much time to groom their dogs (or the dogs don't have much time to be groomed).

trojka, what did the fur look like on the dogs you knew? Just asking because from what I understand, it would be very difficult to keep the dogs' fur from flocking as this is its natural tendency, but it takes a fair bit of work to get it 'neat'. They don't get that way because they are neglected! The coat on young dogs, however, is fluffy :)

Edited by wuffles

they had a long, fairly fluffy coat. maybe a bit like a bearded collie, but a little "rougher", or more wiry (?). this was the best picture i could find, and it's not a very good one:

http://www.lupercali.it/news-e-link/index.php?idn=16

although, the ones i knew were always clipped over summer, so that may have helped.

my bergamasco/australian shepherd mix had a similar coat, and the only places she'd get dreadlocks if she didn't get brushed for a while was behind the ears and on her pants.

If they are clipped repeatedly then I don't think their flocks will form properly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My Aussie has a typical Aussie coat and even she gets dreadlocks behind her eats and on her pants if I don't brush her :confused:

If they are clipped repeatedly then I don't think their flocks will form properly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My Aussie has a typical Aussie coat and even she gets dreadlocks behind her eats and on her pants if I don't brush her :confused:

Well, that's what I was trying to say :love:

Although, as far as I know, they were only clipped once a year when it started to get warm. During the autumn, winter and spring months, regular brushing kept their coat from matting. They were pets, and I doubt their owners would have been very impressed with a matted coat like the ones that come up when you do a google search. They look like Komondors (?), but scruffier, shaggier. I had dreadlocks for seven years, and they were a lot more tidy than that :sick:

Italian Sheepdog = Bergamasco :love:

If you do a search on Dol you should find my thread with photos. I went to visit the breeder & meet her Bergamascos last year!

:confused: I will be getting a Bergamasco pup if there is another litter later this year :sick:

Thanks guys. :) She was a really nice dog. It's so cool when you meet people on the street with unusual breeds. On the weekend we rounded a corner during a walk and came face-to-face with one of Erik's half-brothers. We nearly died of shock. :thumbsup: Felt pretty special to meet my first Bergamasco. I thought they were supposed to be a bit on the pushy side temperament-wise? Her owner said she was very sweet, which is how we normally describe Kivi, who doesn't know he even can be pushy. Her coat felt like a mixture of wool and horse mane. She was very cooperative letting us pet and greet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remembered this topic and found it again.

Yes Keira&Phoenix, they look more like the ones i knew, especially the one in the front, I've actually never met a cream coloured one.

And the ones I knew weren't pushy at all, I'd describe them as sweet and rather easy going.

Edited by trojka

• 1 month later...

I just found this photo of one of the Bergamascos I knew and thought I'd post it. It's not a great photo, but I think you can tell that her coat was very soft and fluffy. She passed away about 2 years ago at the age of 17.

post-37709-0-14398100-1308784944_thumb.jpg

Edited by trojka