The Mystery Of The Ilkley Moor Wolf....

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

My Dad regualrly goes hiking on the Moors near their home in Yorkshire. He came across a sculpture of a wolf made of branches (the photos are the ones my Dad took himself), about 1.5m by 2m, and thought it was cool, so took some photos to email to me. I thought it was awesome, so I asked him if he knew anything about it, and he said no, but he would find out...and this is what he found!!!....

Howlingwolf-IlkleyMoor800x600.jpg

howlingwolf.jpg

Here is the link to the original story LINK

I particularly like the bit about the sheep sculptures going missing when the wolf sculpture appeared!!! :laugh:

"The secret of the Wolf of Windgate Nick remains lost in the mists of Addingham High Moor, but Wharfedale residents are coming up with their own theories.

A walker venturing on to the chilly moor after the ice and snow first caught sight of the eye-catching sculpture of twisted branches perched on top of rocks in January. Since then, another photograph has emerged, showing three figures carrying the beast across the landscape on their shoulders.

Now more readers have got in touch with the Gazette offering their own theories on the appearance of the hound-like creature.

Friends of Ilkley Moor chairman Owen Wells, who admitted to being in the dark when the sculpture was first discovered, is drawing a link to the ‘willow sheep’ which went on display in Darwin Gardens Millennium Green, Ilkley, last summer. He said: “The wickerwork wolf at Windgate Nick appears sleek and well fed. Meanwhile, the wickerwork sheep in Darwin Gardens have disappeared.”

Another reader contacted the Gazette suggesting Ilkley’s The Art Shop might know something about the creation — after owner Tim Tennant was quoted on a website talking about the sculpture.

But the shop this week said it did not know who was behind the sculpture. "

Oh how fabulous! I love stories like this, just fabulous.

Me too!

Love it.

Me three. How cool is that. I hope the mystery of it remains alive :laugh:. Kudos to the person/s responsible for it.

Guest Willow

I'm glad you all love it too :thumbsup:

And thank doG the council haven't gone "OMG, it might fall on someone or some kid might trap theri fingers in it, let's pull it down!!!" and they have seen it for the beautiful work of art it is.

I hope they never find out who made it....I hope it's still there in 100 years time, and still has an air of mystery to it. A lot of love went into that.

I'm glad you all love it too :thumbsup:

And thank doG the council haven't gone "OMG, it might fall on someone or some kid might trap theri fingers in it, let's pull it down!!!" and they have seen it for the beautiful work of art it is.

I hope they never find out who made it....I hope it's still there in 100 years time, and still has an air of mystery to it. A lot of love went into that.

yes - or "they don't have a permit". I love uncommissioned public art.