Maltese ... Swfs? *lol* :s

As I was on my way to work this morning I was struck with a curious thought: what happened to the pure bred Maltese Terrier?

You often see Maltese x *insert breed of choice* but I must admit that I don't think I've ever seen a pure bred Maltese and I find that sad. It's almost as though they've become the ultimate dog to cross-breed but as a stand-alone breed, they seem to have disappeared.

Are there any pure-bred Maltese owners on the forum and if so, how many? And do you know why your breed has all but disappeared from the pure-bred circuit?

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Might want to add your title before the Maltese people get up you. ;)

They are not a 'terrier'.

:D There's a lady at work we call the Terrier but that's another story completely.

Aren't they a terrier at all? I've always thought they were classified as terriers and I've often heard them referred to as Maltese Terriers. Is this wrong is it?

Well, I've learned something new today! :p

I have a poodle x maltese (from a shelter). I think it's sad that I don't see any maltese dogs around too, as I quite like the sound of their personalities and the look of them. And I honestly find most dogs crossed with maltese quite unattractive. Like their bodies are out of proportion and their faces are funny looking. I don't find them cute at all.

Not all of them of course, but most. My maltese x has the body of a poodle (long and lean) with the adorable face of a maltese. I have been told she is the prettiest poodle x people have ever seen, and I can't disagree of course:)

Some interesting statistics on ANKC registrations

Toy Group – 15775

Aust Silky – 2425

Cav KCS- 2085

Maltese- 2008

Pug-522

Terrier Group- 10021

Amstaff-0

Bull Terrier-3359

SBT-1913

Toy Group – 10134

Aust Silky – 273

Cav KCS- 2942

Maltese- 315

Pug- 1495

Terrier Group-11770

Amstaff-1625

Bull Terrier-977

SBT-4695

In the 6 years I've worked in the kennels, I have seen 1 purebred maltese.

Most are shih X malts, and then there is the lhasa x malts, bichon and poodle crosses too. I have seen more pure shih's than malts.

I think so many shih x malts have been bred to other shih x malts that they have just earned themselves the generic term SWF.

Guest Clover

Yep they are not Terriers, i always correct customers when they say Maltese Terrier. And yes you dont see many pedigrees around anymore. They are all just refered to as SWFs though :D.

I have a purebred Maltese (not papered, though, she's 17 and my parents didn't know any better when they bought her for me). She lives with my parents now though as I didn't want to uproot her when I moved out.

Purebred Matese's must be so rare that the vet clinic has her down as a Maltese x Shih Tzu. I spied it on their computer during a consult and I said umm she is just Maltese. They never did update it, though :p They just assume when you say Maltese, it MUST be crossed with a Shih Tzu :D

I have only met two purebred Malteses and they are owned by a very dog savvy family that own a pet supply store. Lovely dogs, when they got the second it was a wee puppy running around the store and just SO cute. A ball of fluff that licks you :D

Edited by Mim

We used to call ours as a puppy "powderpuff". She used to sleep in mum's slippers, her body in the foot part and her head resting on the toe part :D Plenty of room in there, too! Can't believe we don't have a single photo of it, though :p

They are beautiful little dogs, friends of mine had one years ago and she was a sweetheart.

I just looked on the DOL puppy listings, there are some for sale and oh my goodness, they are not at all expensive. Who'd have a mutt when you can have one of these for about the same price?

It certainly makes me wonder about all the cross breeds. Since there seems to be so few pure bred Maltese around the crosses must be starting to get very diluted in the gene pool. Originally I'm assuming that a pure bred Maltese would've been used to create the cross but nowadays, would it be safer to assume that "breeders" are mating the Maltese x with another Maltese x?

It is a shame because they seem like such sweet little dogs and from what GayleK has just said, they're also reasonably priced.

One thing about the Maltese being a toy breed though, isn't the Yorkshire Terrier considered a toy breed? So is it possible to be both a terrier and a toy or am I wrong in thinking the Yorkie is a toy breed too?

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I have a pure breeed maltese - now known as Grandpa Ted - as he's close to 15. I believe they are the most beautiful dogs - the ultimate lap dog with sweet, even dispositions and temperaments. They can be a little wilful though - with selective hearing! I will definitel be having another (or two) when my old boy and his current siblings all pass over.

Toy Group – 15775

Aust Silky – 2425

Cav KCS- 2085

Maltese- 2008

Pug-522

Terrier Group- 10021

Amstaff-0

Bull Terrier-3359

SBT-1913

Toy Group – 10134

Aust Silky – 273

Cav KCS- 2942

Maltese- 315

Pug- 1495

Terrier Group-11770

Amstaff-1625

Bull Terrier-977

SBT-4695

I think the popularity of breeds come and go though and always will.

What is more telling, and is incredibly sad, is that the overall figures for purebred dogs is in a dramatic freefall.

Toy Group – 15775

Aust Silky – 2425

Cav KCS- 2085

Maltese- 2008

Pug-522

Terrier Group- 10021

Amstaff-0

Bull Terrier-3359

SBT-1913

Toy Group – 10134

Aust Silky – 273

Cav KCS- 2942

Maltese- 315

Pug- 1495

Terrier Group-11770

Amstaff-1625

Bull Terrier-977

SBT-4695

I miss seeing well bred Maltese of good temperament.

Would be interesting to see how many Maltese pups were put on to the Limited Register in 1987 and in the following years. The practice did not stop unregistered breeders using Maltese to produce crossbred SWFs in their thousands but I suppose it kept the competition down in the show ring. :laugh:

Souff

edited for s & g

Edited by Souff

Toy Group – 15775

Aust Silky – 2425

Cav KCS- 2085

Maltese- 2008

Pug-522

Terrier Group- 10021

Amstaff-0

Bull Terrier-3359

SBT-1913

Toy Group – 10134

Aust Silky – 273

Cav KCS- 2942

Maltese- 315

Pug- 1495

Terrier Group-11770

Amstaff-1625

Bull Terrier-977

SBT-4695

I think the popularity of breeds come and go though and always will.

What is more telling, and is incredibly sad, is that the overall figures for purebred dogs is in a dramatic freefall.

In many breeds the freefall just continues, but it is not without warning but across society .... vets, universities, breeders, animal welfare orgs and canine registries .... have pretty much failed to heed the warnings.

All know the consequences of depleted gene pools (or they should know) but what steps have been taken to reverse the dangerous trends?

None so blind ...... or apathetic.

Souff