Vaccinations And Parvo

dragonfly

Hi

We're expecting to pick up our puppy soon and we're concerned as our next door neighbour's dog recently had puppies and all but one died from Parvo which they think was introduced when the neighbour took the father of the puppies to the beach and the owner thinks he or the dog may have stepped in something and brought the virus home.

Our yards are separated by a 'super six' fibro cement fence .. would there be any risk of having an a 8/9 week old puppy, bought from a breeder, with appropriate vaccinations for that age, in our backyard?

The neighbour's dogs/pups have never been in our back yard but my husband had been over into their backyard several times since they lost the puppies to look after their dogs/birds when they were on holidays recently.

I'm worrying myself sick about it. :thumbsup:

My pup is recovering from Parvo. The first puppy needle didn't protect her and she didn't go to any public places or come into contact with any unknown dogs. She played inside and only went outside to do her business. She was 8 1/2 weeks old when she got sick. You don't want your Pup to get Parvo. It's a horrible disease.

My advice would be speak to a Vet. Had I known the risk to my pup I would have had a friend or family member look after her until she had more needles.

I would ask the breeder to keep the pup another 2 weeks so it can have another vaccination before you bring it home. Any ethical breeder would be happy to do this rather than risk the death of one of their babes. You shouldn't be astonished if they asked you to pay for them to keep it though - and the vaccination.

Guest english.ivy
I would ask the breeder to keep the pup another 2 weeks so it can have another vaccination before you bring it home. Any ethical breeder would be happy to do this rather than risk the death of one of their babes. You shouldn't be astonished if they asked you to pay for them to keep it though - and the vaccination.

If I were in your shoes, I would do as above.

Better to wait a few more weeks and have a healthy pup then have a sick puppy.

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

I'll be phoning the vet tomorrow and will also take the good advice (below) and get in touch with the breeder to ask if she can keep the pup the extra 2 weeks for our peace of mind.

We'll be moving house around the time the puppy is due to be picked up so that extra time will make it a bit easier as well.

If I were in your shoes, I would do as above.

Better to wait a few more weeks and have a healthy pup then have a sick puppy.

+ 2

Get the puppy at 12/14 weeks when it should be fully covered. It can take up to 2 weeks AFTER the final vaccination before the puppy has produced sufficient antibodies and enough immunity.

Parvo can survive in the environment for a very long time, so if your OH did not decontaminate himself before going out in your yard there is the possibility that the virus is there unfortunately.

You're moving house? No guarantee the new house hasn't had a parvo outbreak so I would definitely be waiting. It would be nice for the new owners/tenants in your exisiting house if you made them aware of the parvo situation next door. They might be waiting impatiently to move in to this house to bring their new puppy home - would be nice for them to have the facts in case.

Good advice, Sandra .. that's one we didn't even think of but we will definitely let the new owners know. Thanks

You're moving house? No guarantee the new house hasn't had a parvo outbreak so I would definitely be waiting. It would be nice for the new owners/tenants in your exisiting house if you made them aware of the parvo situation next door. They might be waiting impatiently to move in to this house to bring their new puppy home - would be nice for them to have the facts in case.
Edited by dragonfly