Has Anyone Used Red Gum Chips?

J...

I've recently had a dog door installed so the girls can come and go. Problem is that it's resulting in mud being tracked into the house and I'd like to prevent it as much as I can.

The dog door leads out of the sunroom onto the small deck area, down the stairs and into the corner of the carport for a metre or so before they hit the grass.

The carport is dirt base, bluestone on top and tends to get a bit damp and dirty in winter.

I'm thinking of shifting the bluestone, putting down a good weedmat base to stop the dirt coming through and then putting red gum chips on top. Easy on their feet, should help prevent mud and soft enough to laze on if they want to. I'll put some kind of barrier at either end to stop the chips moving onto the lawn.

Has anyone used red gum chips with their dogs? Any issues? Anything else you've used which has been helpful?

I'm also looking at putting a mat the entry side of the door - any good ideas on something that will help pick up the mud off their feet? I have a big rubber backed piece on the sunroom side which is helping a little.

Thanks in advance! :)

Jess

My parents got the lawn guys out to quote on some synthetic artificial lawn and they were given a sample of that and we have that in front of the dog door outside. Helps keep some of the dirt out of the house. Then we have a towel inside the dog door when its wet. Although admittedly ours is coming of a paved surface.

Edited by ness

Not sure what your guys are like... but i have red gum chips in my front garden for mulch.

My girls like to eat it. They carry it around. Would bring it inside if they could. Good thing they aren't out there often.

I have pebbles down in the backyard. They might move them around a bit, but at least they don't bring it inside.

I reckon the road base you have is a good option - or maybe some gravel? Otherwise, if you could afford it - why not concrete it?

The artificial lawn is a good idea - might try some of it on the decking, I wonder how it would go in the carport. Marine carpet was something else I considered.

I like the idea of the chips but don't want to chuck a heap down and find I have an issue of some sort. The dogs do eat bones in that part of the carport, maybe I should just grab a bag or two for their direct path and try that. No biggie if it's not suitable then.

Edited by Jess.

The artificial lawn is a good idea - might try some of it on the decking, I wonder how it would go in the carport. Marine carpet was something else I considered.

I like the idea of the chips but don't want to chuck a heap down and find I have an issue of some sort. The dogs do eat bones in that part of the carport, maybe I should just grab a bag or two for their direct path and try that. No biggie if it's not suitable then.

Marine carpet is brilliant - we have got it in the undercover part of our smaller dogrun and all it needs is a rubber brooming every now and then, with the added bonus of being able to hose down if necessary. Only problem is laying it so it is tight enough. Ours went down on a chipboard 'floor' that OH built in first so we just glued over that. You might be able to glue on pavers ??? We also have artificial turf in our open shed and that is good too. The cheapest turf from Bunnings is probably on par costwise with the marine carpet but you need to put the turf down on a sand base first.

Have woodchips around the house in the garden and they are really messy and end up all over the place. Same with scoria - never doing that again !

Decided the marine carpet sounded like too much work :) I thought it had a decent backing on it but looking at it in Bunnings today I can see why it needs something under it.

The big rubber anti fatigue mats were reasonably priced so I've gone with two of them for starters in the carport, I can always grab some more if I need them. Also grabbed a rubber backed mat for the decking so hopefully that should keep the mud down. Even if I end up buying another two anti fatigue mats it's still cheaper and easier than what the chips and edging would've been.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and thoughts :)

Hi Jess, I only just seen this thread, we have red gum chips in part of the back yard and while we don't have an issue with the dogs eating them, the only thing that annoys my OH is that if the dogs decide to do zoomies or chase the birds out of the yard it does get spread around everywhere, but it is not a huge issue!

Did you get the pre rolled up rubber matting at Bunnings? I only just noticed them the other day. I have a rubber backed mat for my front door and it is the type that has kind of like carpet on the top and it is brilliant, drys out easily if it gets wet, and you can just brush it off with a broom if it gets dirty.

Edited by tlc

Did you get the pre rolled up rubber matting at Bunnings?

That's what I got for the decking.

The anti fatigue mats are quite big and they cover the dog's path easily.

I can't see myself living in the same place for long enough to justify concreting or laying bitumen. I plan to move out of town as soon as I can afford it :thumbsup: