How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?

Elenbah

I honestly could not believe the price being asked by the breeder of my most recent dog- a pedigree Jack Russell Terrier. We got everything we wanted in a puppy and more for $600- best wedding anniversary present ever!!! I spent $600 on training supplies for the business yesterday so that amount for a gorgeous, intelligent, well bred puppy from fantastic parents? A bargain!

All of my other dogs have been free or very very cheap- 2 herding breeds from working properties and 2 rescues. They are worth an incredible amount more than any $ value.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got all my dogs from registered breeders, even my rescue girl.

My first two were $600 (2007) and $500 (2008), at a time when the going rate for the breed was around $800. These breeders just charged less, the dogs are no lesser quality and in fact one came on the main register and I have shown her.

My next one was free (2010), he is co-owned with his breeder but he will live out his life with me, just go back to her for little holidays now and then. He is also on the main register and destined to be a stud dog. I show him occasionally.

My latest one was also free (2011), although I paid to have her flown from WA to Vic ($310). She is 5 years old, desexed and on the main register.

I prefer to think of them as priceless rather than free.

I have a limit to what I'll pay for a pet, but the ones I paid for were a long way short of the limit.

Edited by GayleK

I'm not sure how much you are charging for your puppies but if you can justify it with plenty of information which I think you probably can.. Then explain it and let the potential buyer make up his/her mind, that's all you can do really.

I always get "you got ripped off" by people I know and when I explain to them that the mental stability I get from knowing there is testing, breeder support, pedigree and a home for her to go to if anything bad should happen included in her price generally shuts them up. I then proceed and say I'm supporting breeders that love dogs and want to better the breed, not pet shops or bybs...

this March.. $3,000.00 including health testing, main register, 6 year guarantee, docked tail, transport, champion bloodlines and full breeder support.

I do not think it is much.

How do you get a puppy with a docked tail in Australia?

this March.. $3,000.00 including health testing, main register, 6 year guarantee, docked tail, transport, champion bloodlines and full breeder support.

I do not think it is much.

Am hoping he/she was an import nightgraces, seeing that tail docking is illegal Aust wide.

Although it wasn't my original intention to ask everybody HOW MUCH they paid for their pet, people are obviously happy to tell and that's OK.......

I see here some have paid less but some have paid more but the impression I am getting is that everyone of them was worth paying for and would be happy to pay for a loyal and loving pet.....

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :cry::) down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

I am not wanting to criticize here or anything, I was just wondering if people really know what goes into producing that happy healthy pet and would people think differently if they did....

I think the thing is that you're talking to the converted here - we all know that the price we pay now guarantees us a healthy pet. Whereas others outside this forum don't know - they think "oh I could buy that from the guy down the road for so much cheaper" and don't realise that they're not getting a quality animal that's healthy and comes with a lifetime of breeder support.

I think so. :cheer: From the breeders perspective.....I just love that i have an extended family through the puppies I have bred and what a thrill I get when one of the shelties I bred 10 & 1/2 years ago comes running up my path all excited to visit me a couple of times a year and its a big "catch up" for her owners and I as we spend an afternoon together...

Although it wasn't my original intention to ask everybody HOW MUCH they paid for their pet, people are obviously happy to tell and that's OK.......

I see here some have paid less but some have paid more but the impression I am getting is that everyone of them was worth paying for and would be happy to pay for a loyal and loving pet.....

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :):cheer: down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

I am not wanting to criticize here or anything, I was just wondering if people really know what goes into producing that happy healthy pet and would people think differently if they did....

I think the thing is that you're talking to the converted here - we all know that the price we pay now guarantees us a healthy pet. Whereas others outside this forum don't know - they think "oh I could buy that from the guy down the road for so much cheaper" and don't realise that they're not getting a quality animal that's healthy and comes with a lifetime of breeder support.

Nope, no guarantees. Sure, there's more chance that a dog from a registered breeder will be healthy, but it's only a chance.

I've lost count of the number of people I know with registered purebreds that have an assortment of health problems.

I probably paid too much for my first 'show potential' purebred. Her 'potential' never really surfaced. On saying that, I love her to bits and wouldn't change her for the world. The 'lifetime' of breeder support lasted until I desexed her :cry:

Yeah, I still email her breeder updates. Only now I don't look for a reply as I know one won't appear.

Well it depends on the breeder. I knew Halo's breeder through here before I even considered getting a lappie - I KNEW that I was guaranteed a healthy pup with lifetime breeder support because I'd had the chance to get to know the breeder, and I don't think I'd ever purchase a dog again without knowing the breeder or having a very good recommendation from someone I do know.

Yep my pup was born in new zealand I'm sure it was a tiny part of the cost and whilst I would get a dobermann with a tail in a heartbeat I wanted this particular breeder and that's what she is doing (along with a few others I might add) from now on with the tails. :cry:

My first BC about nine years ago cost me $500. Parents were health tested as far as they could be at the time. I had an excellent breeder who was willing to offer advice, training and friendship to this day still. I did not have health issues to complain about. She sadly died at 7 years due to cancer and also had Exercise Induced Collapse. I do not blame her breeder. Jemma was worth every penny for her temperament and willingness to please.

My most expensive BC was $1000 back in 2008. I also hand raised the litter for the breeder. So I suppose you could say, I was ripped off a bit. But again, the bitch is just a loyal companion and is affectionately known as "Turd".

As a breeder, the prices of my puppies is greatly determined on the stud dog used. The better the quality, naturally the higher the price, although my pups have all been priced within what is charged by other breeders. Sometimes under priced. I breed for myself, not anyone else. If I get what I want within a litter, I only want good homes for the pups at a fair price.

It really makes me mad in my breed when you see people charging double for "fad" (and unrecognised) colours only because they can. Some of these breeders do not fully health test, but by advertising the colours as "rare" they get away with it.

I was looking for a Papillon and was expecting to pay around $800=$1000. I saw some Pap pups in PP for $1250...so imagine when I got Tonka whose sister and mother are grand champions for $300!! I could not believe it. He was three and I had to desex him...he was a rehoming price that i do see happens with some registered breeders with adult dogs, but I felt really lucky :cry:

My aussie was $800 about 14 years ago, so quite expensive for the time. She was also an older pup ,the puppy we were going to get was the only black tri in the 8 week old litter was to be a show dog so $2000! I am so glad we ended up with Clover though, we couldn't have gotten a better dog for any price! The aussie wasn't as popular back then and there was only one or two breeders in NSW at the time, so I think the price was accordingly higher.

I believe guide dogs purchased my current dog for $800, which is around the going rate from a registered lab breeder i think? though i am not sure if breeders sell puppies to guide dogs at a lower price as they are a charity. On their website it says a puppy costs $800 to buy.

We got our first silky for $500 and our second for $1500 (not including airfairs for both). Our first has the best personality and does great in the ring. Our second pup has top bloodlines with her dad being a grand champion and her mum a Ch. We got her from a reputable breeder. Both had all there needles and were in great health. They are both worth every cent we paid for them :cry: best investment we've ever made!

I buy Cavaliers and if a breeder has been quite successful in the show ring and also does health testing ie. heart for the parents, eyes, patellas, hipscoring etc, then I would have no hesitation whatsoever in paying $1000 for one of their pups... even up to $1200. I paid $650 back in 2003 for my cav and I think that was a fair price for back then.

Guest Clover

We paid $20 for Clover about 12.5 years ago, just from an ad in the local paper.

The BCs were given to us. Elvis as a puppy & they would not take any money for him. And 2 years later we took on his Sister.

Harri is my only pedigree papered dog and he was not expensive at all.

If i go with the breed i want next i am looking at around about $1800, which is not that bad for the breed. Or if i go another Border Collie it will be from working lines ($200 - $300 mainly).

My CASD was $1500 (limited register) and this included a $200 desexing rebate and that price for a rare breed was amazing especially since his breeder spends so much on researching and importing and the last litter she had was nearly 4 years ago.

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :):) down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

Re. the bolded part...... THANK YOU! :)

I've been having this same discussion with my Mum about Mikey who's left from the litter. She seems to think what I'm asking is too expensive (the going rate for a pap in the southern states, and the price I paid for Portia, also the price of the stud fee). Compared to other dogs advertised in the paper here (the usual Humpty Doo Pig Dog Special), yes he is more expensive. BUT if you average out the cost over 12-15 years, you are paying minimal on a per year basis.

Sure, go out and get the best bargain you can on a TV or fridge. But why would you want to bargain for a life?