Cats And Dogs Win Reprieve At Vic Shelters

Kirty

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8235212

Lost or abandoned cats and dogs in Victoria have won a reprieve with the state government set to abolish the limit on the number of days they can be held at shelters before being removed or euthanased.

Under the current code of practice, the maximum time any animal for sale can be held at a shelter or pound is 28 days.

The Minister for Agriculture and Food Security, Peter Walsh, said that despite a shift in community expectations, the code had not been revised since it was introduced 14 years ago.

Mr Walsh said the changes were being made in consultation with key groups including the Lost Dogs Home, the RSPCA, Animal Aid, the Cat Protection Society and the Animal Welfare Science Centre.

The revisions also proposed to clarify requirements that any animal leaving a shelter must be micro-chipped, wormed, desexed and vaccinated, he said.

Other proposed changes to the code include staff numbers at shelters and pounds to increase from one for every 50 animals to one for every 40, a new section specifically relating to fostering of animals and a requirement for puppies and kittens to be inspected more often.

• 3 weeks later...

This is wonderful news. I'm slipping behind the times and only just now read of this in the Berwick Leader (Wednesday 27th April edition). Linky

"Do you think the 28-day kill law should be abolished?" You can have your say if you visit the website link.

I don't wish to be a party-pooper, but I do wonder what the impact to other domestic pets are going to be. Will this be a back-handed reprieve? Pardon my cynicism, but the Shelters already don't have enough space (so they tell us). So something will have to 'give'. Will they become more open to working with rescuers and foster carers perhaps?

Edited by Erny