Heating Whelping Boxes

murraydebbie

I am wondering if anybody uses a ray lamp and whether it would have the properties to keep a young litter warm enough when used with an open whelping box and a heating pad. I usually heat the whole room, but thought that this might be a more economical way without foregoing the benefits of warmth.

hi md I have a heat lamp for my whelping box. I haven't used it yet but you'll find some go with a heat lamp and others with heating pads. I chose a heat lamp but will soon see if it was the right choice. Do a search in breeders forum you'll find a heap on heating whelping boxes.

I use a heat lamp for my silky pups, I find it's better then a heat pad because it seems to keep puppies warmer all over. I hang mine about 3 feet above the whelping box, warm enough for mum without overheating her. I only use mine if it's very cold as I find that the pups snuggle up to mum to get warm and will drink while they snuggle up. I'm in Ballarat so in winter it gets cold in the spare bedroom as I only have heating in the lounge.