Silver Border Collies?

The problem is for people like me, that we have no real idea of what is really good and what isnt (who the decent/ethical breeders are). I would have thought that breeders registered on here would all have been decent, though Ive now discovered that isnt the case. Such a minefield!!

Cheers

I find that it all depends on what you want your new dog for. If its for showing, go check out some shows in your local area and meet some breeders and ask questions. See what dogs are being awarded titles and challenges, etc, and go from there.

If your after a sporting dog, do the same. Go check out agility and obedience trials. Talk to owners, ask who the breeder of their dog is and all questions you can think of. See what dogs are performing well and have the "temperament" that you'd like for your next dog.

If your just after a nice dog for pet/companion, seek a breeder who has done all relevent health tests, hip/eblow score, can answere all questions you have and show you any necessary paperwork for parentage tests, etc. Ask what they charge for a black/white pup and then what they charge for different coloured pups. If these prices differ in any way, I wouldn't be purchasing a dog from them. I can understand breeders asking different prices for Limited Register pups vs Main Register pups. But having said that, at the end of the day, all pups in the one litter cost the same to rear to a saleable age (with exception give to any individual pup requiring vet treatment, etc), so is each individuals perogitive.

Edited by saradale

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is for people like me, that we have no real idea of what is really good and what isnt (who the decent/ethical breeders are). I would have thought that breeders registered on here would all have been decent, though Ive now discovered that isnt the case. Such a minefield!!

Cheers

DOL puppy listings used to not as mind field as it is now to the unsuspecting. I am not bagging the puppy listings, but it should be known that puppy buyers now need to be more careful than they used to be. In recent years, there are much more new breeders advertising on there who are breeding solely for colour and/or not necessarily for quality. They are breeding with dogs that do not conform to the breed standard. Making a feature of breed faults such as blue eyes.

The best way is to "shop around". You will get an idea soon enough what the average price of puppies is. Who are charging higher than normal amounts and who seem more reasonable. Just because breeder has been breeding for 25 years, does not always make them a good breeder. Likewise someone who is only breeding their first litter. Find out what they are aiming for in their breeding program.

When you are looking for a colour, the mine field is bigger. Coloured puppies now generate more money than the plain ole boring black and white. And if a breeder can advertise it as "rare" and make out it something highly sought after, then the puppy buyer is wowsered into parting with much more money than they should.

Ring the breeders and talk to them. Breeders (and puppy buyers) can write anything in an email. When you start talking to them, you and they get an idea of who and what the other person is like. I have knocked back puppy buyers after talking to them. If I didn't and only went by what they wrote in email, I could have made some big mistakes.

If there is a contract/condition. Make sure you are 200% comfortable with those conditions and make sure all conditions are are in writing. Do not make a deposit on the first puppy you see. Have a look at a few litters first. Better still. Look at the parents. If the parents are something you like, then look at the puppies.

Beware any breeder who tells you there are no issues in their lines. Every line has an issue somewhere. It may not be a major one, it can be something as simple as a blue eye or an undescended testicle in male dogs. Blue eyes are considered a show faults only and does not affect sight. Dogs with undescended testicles can be more expensive to desex later on.