Pre-existing Medical Conditions

Bonbongirl

Hi, I am thinking of getting pet insurance for my dog but all the companies I have tried to ring to get information are closed for the weekend.

My dog has had various problems in the past including several ear infections, an eye infection, a skin rash and swallowing various things which caused tummy troube (she is a Lab!). Does this mean that I won't be covered for any of these things ever as they would be considered "pre-existing"? She has had that many visits to the vet I'm wondering if it will be worth insuring her now (she is only 3.5yrs).

Has anyone had experience with the "pre-existing conditions" clause that they could tell me about?

My dog's insurance doesn't cover OCD or DJD of either shoulder, since she had surgery for OCD in one shoulder as a pup.

Each insurance company will be a little different, and you'll have to read your policy to see exactly what's excluded before signing it.

I guess this is a good reason to insure your dog young, if you're going to insure them.

Edited by Staranais

Further ear, eye and skin infections wont be covered for at least the first year they may reconsider after that.

Should be covered for swallowing things in future as that isnt a condition it would come under accident.

Otherwise just get a credit card and put it away and only use it in case of emergency. Also some vets offer the GE interest free cards might be worth looking into that for approval if you decide not to go down the insurance route.

:thumbsup:

If your dog has had ANY skin condition they will not be covered for any skin condition in the future no matter if it has anything to do with the original condition or not, I dare say the same would go for the eye and ear.

Reconsider after a year? Nope not unless it's in the insurance policy and I haven't come across on that is.

GE is a line of credit that you make monthly repayments on and you're not able to use it everywhere, only in 10,000 places Australia wide, you can go here to see if your Vet uses it: http://www.interestfree.com.au/ge_creditli..._locations.html

Be careful of 'interest free' options, nothing is interest free completely because the bank/organisation would make no money off it, it usually has an interest free period and if you do not pay in full by the end of the period you're looking at very high interest rates.

The best thing you could do is call around the different insurance companies, there aren't a huge amount that offer pet inusrance so it shouldn't be a lengthy exercise and that way you can find out exactly what you need to know.