Importing Semen From Sweden

Quazaa

Hi im looking at getting costs to import semen from Sweden.

i have a quote on the shipment side of thigns but would like to know what the costs are for all the collection and vet fees prior to it leaving sweden

thanks

Hello, i know Devilish Dexter he is such a cutie, good luck on your new venture with the cairns.

Im planning my breeding program on bloodlines and there isnt alot of the bloodlines i want here. & yeh there is lots of Swedish stuff here, im after kennel/dogs not country and if the dogs live in sweden then i guess thats where it comes from....its not going to be for quite some time anyways :laugh:

right now im just after costs to see if its viable for me.

Hello, i know Devilish Dexter he is such a cutie, good luck on your new venture with the cairns.

He is living on borrowed time, :laugh: Cheeky bugger he is.

Im planning my breeding program on bloodlines and there isnt alot of the bloodlines i want here. & yeh there is lots of Swedish stuff here, im after kennel/dogs not country and if the dogs live in sweden then i guess thats where it comes from....its not going to be for quite some time anyways :)

I get ya :)

As far as I know Sweden is not an "advanced" country when it comes to A.I. and frozen semen. The Swedish Canine kennel club's regulations are not particularly pro A.I. or frozen semen. So no real incentive to be up there with the latest or greatest nor opportunity to get a huge amount of experience.

IF I considered importing frozen semen from Sweden I would do some thorough research on their collection/freezing methods, success rate etc, etc.

Possibly even have the dog collected when/if he travel for show/recreation to another country where frozen semen is more common.

Even if it is "just" semen you are importing the cost still climb high quickly and you want to have the odds in your favour.

Collecting out of Sweden will be an expensive process and I agree with the above, they are not that "advanced" as such. It was nearly 4 years ago that I got costs and it was an expensive option and I could only get straws not pellets ( I was hoping to get a collection under the Camelot method - it was not available at the time). You really need to find a Vet who knows what they are doing and the price I got was via the Vet University who collect etc. It was in my opinion a very expensive exercise. Sadly for me the person who owned the donor dog took my money and never gave me anything in return, so I hope you really know who you are dealing with and more. Also getting the container from Sweden to here is not a cheap option either.

Good luck I look forward to hearing what you decide to do.

Edited to add that the Aussie dollar is stronger now but Vet fees in Sweden are not cheap by no means.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Collecting out of Sweden will be an expensive process and I agree with the above, they are not that "advanced" as such. It was nearly 4 years ago that I got costs and it was an expensive option and I could only get straws not pellets ( I was hoping to get a collection under the Camelot method - it was not available at the time). You really need to find a Vet who knows what they are doing and the price I got was via the Vet University who collect etc. It was in my opinion a very expensive exercise. Sadly for me the person who owned the donor dog took my money and never gave me anything in return, so I hope you really know who you are dealing with and more. Also getting the container from Sweden to here is not a cheap option either.

Good luck I look forward to hearing what you decide to do.

Edited to add that the Aussie dollar is stronger now but Vet fees in Sweden are not cheap by no means.

that doersnt sound good at all that you paid and got nothing !!!!

i have all the importing costs and they arent too expensive and if i waited for a group shipment the price is almost halved (could potentially be around $1800 so not bad)

was jut mainly after those who have imported from sweden and know the costs they paid for collection etc in Sweden as i already know shipping costs.

thats also interesting to know that sweden isnt advanced in their AIs etc. hopefully i can find a vet close to the kennels that does it well !!! but this is all just ideas and planning atm.

thanks everyone for your comments so far

Quazaa,

We imported from 3 dogs in Sweden early last year, and it was all organised/collected/shipped by Dr Catharina Linde-Forsberg in Stockholm. She was fantastic to deal with, and AI is her specialty. We did get straws as that was the only option, however we now have 5 puppies on the ground from our first litter so we were happy with the results.

I'll PM you our costs (in Swedish krona as I haven't got time to convert, sorry).