Cash And Sash

Rebanne

follow on form the prizes thread.

How much cash? Would it depend on the size of the show?

If you got $5 for a class in group would you be on a forum or email list somewhere saying what a lousy prize? Or is that reasonable?

off the top of my head, this morning, my thoughts for a small country show were

$5 class in group, $7.50 for RUBIG, $10 BIG

$10 class in show, $15.00 for RUBIS, $20 for BIS

I know there has to be a certain % of prizes in relation to entries, haven't looked it up yet. Cash also has to be balanced against a club being able to shop all year round for items on special. The value is still being met but the $ outlay, for the club, is less.

I know NSW has just started a 3 tier system dependant on the entries for the last show a club ran. Makes it hard if you have a bumper entry one year and not the next.

Thoughts?

I would expect to get my entry fee back for an age of group and about 2 x that for BOG and 1.5 x that for ROG.

In shows - double the above would be about right to me at a smaller country show (under 500 entries), more at a prestige show or one with 500+ entries.

$50 In Show

$30 Ru

$15 Group/ru BIG and Classes in show and Group

$10 sweepies

You want them to come back and dont want to be seen as cheap prizes lol

Have to Remember most show entries are about $10 If you got $5 for class in group I would be Whinging again :thumbsup:

Edited by Darkrai

Guest CaptainCourageous

Rebanne,

Get a copy of the VCA rules/regs PDFs and search for "35". You'll find a 35% rule for prizes, with some possible variations for country shows and Ag shows.

Start a spreadsheet with the value of prizes, value of sashes, total of entry fees received, total of VCA levies all listed.

I think your value of prizes plus value of sashes must be over 35% of the total entry fees received less VCA levies. (I don't know if judging fees come out).

As an example when the dust settles you could try this for last weekend's shows, and see what percentage you get.

Your sashes were wonderful.

I wouldn't bother making posts here about how much cash to award classes. Better to work out a target prize % (which must be at least 35%) then work out how to split up the loot in a sensible way. Your shows are probably in the smallest 10% of shows in Victoria due to geography, so the relevant numbers are those which make sense to your club rather than the well-travelled exhibitor.

CC

Clubs (not all) either have to raise the entry fees to cover better prizes or people have to put there money where their mouth is.

A)

If people sponsor a class in group at say $10, this would cover the cost of the sash.

This would then free up money for the clubs to buy better prizes or offer cash.

B)

Join a club

Rebanne,

Get a copy of the VCA rules/regs PDFs and search for "35". You'll find a 35% rule for prizes, with some possible variations for country shows and Ag shows.

Start a spreadsheet with the value of prizes, value of sashes, total of entry fees received, total of VCA levies all listed.

I think your value of prizes plus value of sashes must be over 35% of the total entry fees received less VCA levies. (I don't know if judging fees come out).

As an example when the dust settles you could try this for last weekend's shows, and see what percentage you get.

Your sashes were wonderful.

I wouldn't bother making posts here about how much cash to award classes. Better to work out a target prize % (which must be at least 35%) then work out how to split up the loot in a sensible way. Your shows are probably in the smallest 10% of shows in Victoria due to geography, so the relevant numbers are those which make sense to your club rather than the well-travelled exhibitor.

CC

thanks CC. Just trying to see if we can please more people but I know we won't please them all :)

sahes arent rerally that expensive... having just recently ordered sashes for our club.

For an All Breeds club, a Tri Coloured Sashes (the big pretty ones) are just under 10 dollars. and these aren't used for all Classes and BIG/RUBIG usually. The other types are substantially less.

I think $10 for a Class in group is very fair :laugh:

In SA, we only recieve prizes for BIG. RUBIG, Baby and Puppy... the other classes only get a sash :)

At the Pug club we have advertising sponsors. They sponsor for $100 a year for both our Open and Champ Show. For that they get a 1/2 page add in our catalogue and their Company name on the sash and trophy (they Sponsor a Class in Show). They also have a smaller add in our Club Newsletter in the issue after the show with a pic of the winning dog. It works out a cheap way of advertising and really helps cover the cost of our sashes and trophies. Also we encourage our exhibitors to Donate a sash or trohy and they have their kennel name or "In Memory of..." printed on the sash or trophy.

At Gunnedah on the weekend prizes were as follows:

Best In Show: (Sponsored by McDonalds – Gunnedah & Narrabri) - $200.00 & Rosette

Runner-up to Best In Show: (Sponsored by Fri: Red Chief Motel, Sat: Overlander Motor Lodge

& Sun: Gunnedah Newsagencies) - $100.00 & Rosette

All Classes In Show: $40.00 & Rosette

Best In Group: $30.00 & Arm Rosette (to be worn in General Specials)

Runner-up to Best In Group: $20.00 & Sash

Class In Group: $15.00 & Sash

SPECIAL CLASSES: 3-6 Months Sweepstakes, 6-9 Months Sweepstakes & 9-12 Months Sweepstakes

1st $40.00 & Sash, 2nd $30.00 & Sash, 3rd $20.00 & Sash, 4th $10.00 & Sash

All sponsored by Gunnedah Services & Bowling Club - The place to be when in Gunnedah

Please note that they did have sponsorship for this show, but entries were just under 600 per show.

Entry fees were $10 for breed and $5 for sweepies and yes, I too would be upset if I got back less than I paid for the entry.

I've only had 2 cash BIGs, one was $15 and a trophy, the other was a $20 gift card, then $10 gift card for class in show.

I was happy with the amount, the giftcard were coles/myer/kmart so were very useful.

Edited by Shaar