First Heat - Courtyard Option

Hi everyone,

we have just had our 5 month old pup go on her first heat - the only sign was that our male dog (3yrs) has been frisky all day and been trying to get her interested - she hasn't had any of it. i have taken the male dog to my mum's place.

We have a small courtyard (separate to the backyard) that we have been thinking of using as her space for when she's in season. it has a fence approx 6m long adjoining the neighbours yard (they have 2 staffies - both fixed). The neighbour's girl staffie has jumped the backyard fence before (more room for run up) but the boy never has. the courtyard fence is about 2m high at the moment but we were thinking of raising it with those attachments you get from bunnings that you lie accross the top - which would make it about 2.3-2.5m high. Do you think this is safe enough considering that a dog would first have to get into our neighbours yard (with the 2 staffies) and then jump the 2.3m fence into the courtyard. there is concrete on both sides of the fence so digging is not possible.

the other option is to put chicken wire accross the top of the courtyard, attaching it to the fence and the house.

any guidance would be greatly appreciated! for tomorrow she will be staying in the laundry. i just think the courtyard would be a better long term option as there is room to play and toilet.

Well the vet said to expect it from 6 months. i am surprised that it's this early... and there is no sign of her actually being in heat other than my male dog's behaviour. He's never an over zealous dog like that - never humps anything or other dogs in play/dominating behaviour, so when he started getting frisky I thought she must be in season..

Definitely unacceptable behaviour and they shouldn't be left together unsupervised - you must put a stop to it asap. Sometimes people think it is OK because one dog doesn't fight back or try and stop the other dog from humping but it is not good.

5mth old puppy should be inside, safe.

Staffies are phenomenal climbers so if she came on heat there could be some major problems.

Any reason you can't get her desexed before she comes on heat??

If you can turn you courtyard into what is essentially a roofed dog run if may be okay for short periods. You'd also need to make sure that the 'run' is solid from ground level to a decent height (ie taller than your dog) up as dogs can still mate through wire :thumbsup:

If she is not actually swollen and bleeding she may not be in season (they can have silent ones though) your male may be picking up a change in hormones and reacting to that. My male tells me around 2 months before my bitch comes into season.

An area for a bitch must be escape proof and also must not be able to be climbed into. It needs a concrete or hard floor, small mesh that a dogs penis cannot fit through or solid lower walls and a roof that cannot be pushed open or that will no collapse if a dog climbs onto it.

Mine is concrete floored, tinned roofed, brick house and chain mesh that is then covered in small aviary wire.

Are you planning on keeping her entire or desexing her down the track?