Is My Bc Really A Couch Potato....

shyfig

Just wondering if my boy (11 mths) is an unusual BC in that he loves a walk or two of a day but apart from that is a total couch potato!

This actually suits my family in many ways but what do others think?

I tried to post this in the BC sub-forum but it wouldn't let me start a new topic.

A BC should not be a couch potatoe, but if this is working out well for your family who cares. :thumbsup:

We can swap dogs for a month or two. :cry:

ETA changed how to who :laugh:

Edited by PAX

I have a couch potato BC. He is a low drive dog and quite content to spend much of his life asleep on a chair. He is show lines and a low drive dog but can be active when I want him to be. A lot depends on the individual BC and it also depends on how good their off switch is. Even my working bred BC turns off and lies around if I am not doing anything.

I've got a couch potato Australian Shepherd......actually I've got a few of them, but one in particular would be happy with no walks, no exercise, just as long as she could be right next to me.

Aussies are like BC's in that they are supposed to need loads of exercise and activities to keep their minds and bodies active. Not this one though.

It does present a bit of a problem in that I would like to DO things with her......ie, obedience trials......but she'd rather not, if you don't mind. Her preferred place is home in front of the fire or the fan.

She is easy to teach things to but hard to get her motivated and excited about doing what she's been taught. She was also an abject failure as a show dog......even if she was the most stunning example of her breed ever born, she'd never win a cracker the way she mopes around the ring.

I've got a couch potato Australian Shepherd......actually I've got a few of them, but one in particular would be happy with no walks, no exercise, just as long as she could be right next to me.

Aussies are like BC's in that they are supposed to need loads of exercise and activities to keep their minds and bodies active. Not this one though.

It does present a bit of a problem in that I would like to DO things with her......ie, obedience trials......but she'd rather not, if you don't mind. Her preferred place is home in front of the fire or the fan.

She is easy to teach things to but hard to get her motivated and excited about doing what she's been taught. She was also an abject failure as a show dog......even if she was the most stunning example of her breed ever born, she'd never win a cracker the way she mopes around the ring.

Dusty is gorgeous! Shame she failed as a show dog :thumbsup:

My labrador is definitely more active than my aussie was. Which is funny because people always think herding breeds need a tonne of exercise and that labs are lazy dogs that you can throw in a backyard or they are lovely quiet, calm guide dogs who are perfect :laugh:

The bcs I now love interacting with their owners, and don't self exercise. How much do you do with her(tricks, obedience, agility etc?). Some dogs are natural couch potatoes, but some are because they're understimulated.

Our BC is sleeping on the couch next to me right now. She has developed a fairly good off switch (possibly by necessity due to a few months of restricted exercise). She is all go when it is time to do something, but also likes to have a lie in of a morning and a lazy snuggle when I am relaxing of an evening.

Mine does a bit of self exercise and will nap in between bursts. If we are playing with her, she won't stop for anything. We have to end the activity. Determined little thing would fetch until she couldn't walk if we let her.

Borders vary enormously in their activity levels and you can get everything from an "everready bunny" that never stops to a couch potato in the same litter. This is why they should never be chosen on colour and markings. You need a Border that suits your lifestyle. I have owned all activity levels and currently have two that are happy being couch potatoes if nothing is happening so long as they get exercise and company but will be very active if there is something worthwhile going on. Borders tend to have two speeds, flat out and stop. The thing that varies is how long thay spend at each setting. :)

Edited to add: I have never had a truly lazy or low drive Border that didn't want to work/trial etc but have heard of them occasionally. I have also never had a stubborn or strong willed dog either. These are all traits I will not accept and believe a very strong will to please and be ready for whatever challenge is asked of them, it vital for a correct temperament for the breed.

Edited by dancinbcs

Guest Clover

Being bred to work they 'should' have off switches. If mine have nothing to do they relax, or play amongst themselves.