Ot Barn Swallows

shortstep

Just got a brand new 2 car shed built (3 sided) to house our 2 brand new cares. They just finished the electric yesterday.

Today about 15 barn swallows have moved in. Cars are covered with bird S**T!

I am not parking my cars outside to keep them free of bird S**T !

This means war!

What can I do to move these birds along?

Edited by shortstep

No need for war :cry:

Buy covers for the cars! :)That's the easiest - also stops cat pawprints/urine spray from strays, and dust!

One way to stop the swallows ( who will keep your place free of mozzies etc :cry: ) is not the prettiest, but it works. along the struts in the shed- between them & the roof..esp in the angles/joins.. you need to place crumpled up bird net ..pack it in- so there is nowhere for them to build nests.

I do ours with the net on a long pole...

Edited by persephone

Guest Willow

Ohhhh....we have had these little dudes move into our huge shed.....they drive OH mental pooping on all his tools.....

Plastic snakes, cds, nylon fishing line.................none of these work. Ive tried when they decided to live on rafters on front balcony. Used to be able to get something called hotfoot that you smeared or painted on surfaces they roosted.

Thanks everyone!

Will get a couple of plastic snakes today and give it a try.

I looked around for the Hot Foot, a couple of places in QLD come up on search, but both no longer have the pnone numbers listed. I'll keep looking for it.

I saw some light weight metal mess in sheets that is applied to frame (like lining an inside wall with plaster board) that keeps them from reaching the beams. I may call the folks who build the shed and see if they also install this stuff. If this were put up on the bottom side of the roof joyce I think think would be a solution if not too expensive.

Keep the ideas comeing!