Another 'suggest A Breed' Thread

luffy4688

Inside or outside dog?

Inside and outside dog.

Do they want a calm dog, an independent dog, a people focused dog? What sort of character are they looking for?

A dog that is generally friendly with most dogs/people. A calm and more people focused dog would be preferred.

Will the dog receive any formal training or be taken to dog parks?

The dog will be taught basic commands like 'sit' etc. As far as obedience classes are concerned, she still needs convincing. Dog parks yes, maybe once or twice a week.

Is its ability to get on with other dogs important.

Yes

Is control offlead important?

Walks would generally be on lead, occasionally offleash romp at the park.

Lots more factors to consider than size and coat type.

Hope that helps poodlefan. :)

Calm and people focussed. Hmmm Pity the hair issue might rule out a CKCS.

I was thinking about a CKCS. But didn't know how much it shed. She was initially thinking of a pug, until I told her pug sheds ALOT. :(

Not sure I'd describe your average Pug as "calm" either :eek:

Edited by poodlefan

My mum described the Aussie Terrier as a "self exercising house dog". Ours would do high speed laps up the lounge, through the dining room, up the hall back to the lounge room door and around and around, for about three laps, that was usually enough.

I'd recommend a bedlington terrier. Medium, non/low shedding (would need clipping), happy to go for a walk around the paddocks or be a couch potato.

Mine never did laps :( but i constantly played with him so i guess it ruled the laps out :eek: he was also half pomeranian. He was 4yrs old when we got him from the pound. If we walked him up the road which is a 15min walk and then try and walk back he would sit and he would make mum carry him back :) He is very lazy.