Did You Guys Know About This?

W Sibs

Companion Animals Regulation 2008 (NSW)

33B Exemption from muzzling for certain greyhounds

(1) A greyhound is exempt from the requirement under section 15 of the Act to have a muzzle securely fixed on its mouth if:

(a) the greyhound has successfully completed an approved greyhound re-training program, and

(b) the greyhound wears an approved collar when it is in a public place.

(2) The exemption does not apply to a greyhound that is a dangerous dog or a restricted dog.

(3) In this clause:

approved collar means a collar of a kind approved by the Director-General for the purposes of this clause.

approved greyhound re-training program means a program that is approved by the Director-General, for the purposes of this clause, by order published in the Gazette.

Note. A greyhound that has been granted an exemption under this clause must continue to comply with all other relevant requirements of the Act and this Regulation. For example, a greyhound that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to it and that is being held by (or secured to) the person: see section 13 of the Act.

Edited by CW EW

Just found this from GRNSW, looks like the actual GAP NSW may not actually be able to hand out the new collars, only the GRNSW "GAP" group.

GRNSW has welcomed the NSW State Opposition’s policy announcement of muzzle exemptions for greyhounds that enter the Greyhounds As Pets program.

As part of the policy announcement, the Shadow Minister for Racing George Souris and the Shadow Minister of State Chris Hartcher said the exemption will be administered and regulated by GRNSW providing for greyhounds to be tested by a person accredited by GRNSW

That is from a NSW legislation...

I wonder how hard it is to get the collar?

You have to do an approved training program as posted.

I mean, how hard/strict the assessment will be to get one...

I heard about this in Feb, and called GAP, who said that the final details had not been refined, and that it depende on the Liberals getting in. Maybe now it will move forward, and they will decide who can do the testing, etc. I will be getting Harry tested ASAP, and hopefully he won't have to wear his muzzle all the time!