Oily Coat

cavvysavvy

Thyroid imbalance can create a greasy feel to the coat. If you think it might be a possible cause, get it cheCked by Dr Jean Dodds in the USA (it is not as hard nor as expensive as you might think) as our Oz tests are not as thorough and do not pick up thyroid issues as early as the USA ones do.

Good morning :laugh:

what breed of dog?

What diet?

How often are baths,and what with?

Cavalier King Charles, and he is on Black Hawk Holistic and chicken necks with the odd treat, he is only bathed once a month, sometimes more but never more than fortnightly. I usually use an oatmeal based shampoo

Good morning :laugh:

what breed of dog?

What diet?

How often are baths,and what with?

Cavalier King Charles, and he is on Black Hawk Holistic and chicken necks with the odd treat, he is only bathed once a month, sometimes more but never more than fortnightly. I usually use an oatmeal based shampoo

IMO even that's too often. Even a mild shampoo is still a shampoo - if it froths, it does take away oils from the coat. This can make the body think it should produce more, and so it does, in abundance.

Try wetting the coat and skin with Calendula Tea (that you brew) and leave it on to dry (do a patch test first to make sure no sensitivities - IME this sensitivities to the Calendula Tea are not common).

I haven't bathed my dog for 2 years now. Admittedly he's a short single coated breed, which makes this easier.