Redback Spiders

brightonrock

I've noticed a couple of redback spiders in my garden and sheds lately. One was on a vertical web right in the doorway of my garage low to the ground.

Can anyone tell me if they have had any problems with these spiders and dogs ? Also is there any real way you could tell if a dog had been bitten ?

Visit this site www.avru.org/vetpet Its unlikely that your dog will get bitten but it does happen. I would spray the the little blighters...

One of my staff was bitten by red back last week, she was of work the rest of the week and it was extremely painfull. :)

Redback spiders are one of my worst fears for my dogs(and me!!), they seem to pop up everywhere :thumbsup:

I did some googling and it seems that dogs are

relatively resistant to the effects of the venom

Here is some info Spider Bite

Me too. I have found though that my dogs somehow haven't gotten too close to them, and there have been a fair few RBs around the last few summers. This last summer I've used Baygon Outdoor & Spider, including on a couple of what looked like big blobs of RB webs (with a small spider outside) ready with offspring. The blobs shrivelled up. This stuff is supposed to control webs and it certainly has in my shed and around the outside walls. One thing I've noticed with RBs, a zap quickly kills them, they don't go running off elsewhere out of sight.

I have found though that my dogs somehow haven't gotten too close to them, and there have been a fair few RBs around the last few summers.

Red-backs were a dime a dozen, when I was a child. And I don't recall any major or tragic incidents amongst our neighbourhood dogs (and given just about every family had a dog, that represented quite a good number of dogs) as a result of a Red-back bite. I think the reason for this is that for the most part, Red-backs prefer the shelter of being under rocks.

The point in part also being though that Red-backs, Dog Numbers and the opportunity for investigation and being bitten (by a spider) back then would have been higher (at least I assume so) yet no major issues to my recollection.

So, whilst I would be looking out and would prevent my dog from getting into places where Red-backs are likely (eg Under the decking; under the decking steps (ie really low traffic areas that are also protected), I wouldn't be paranoid about them.

My toy poodle shook,vomited & had a small fit when she got bitten by one on her leg.

I also heard about someone who found their cat dead in the run. Autopsy revealed a red back in its throat, which was said to be the cause of its death. Guess they can have a bad effect on the smaller animals.

It is possible for a site to become infested with red-back spiders, an "over-growth" in fact due to all the places human habitation provide for them. If they are appearing very regularly, please get a pest inspection, particularly under your house just to make sure you don't have a serious infestation.

Fitting thread right now. I heard my puppy barking out the back last night after being put to bed. I ignored him for awhile (he barks at the frogs in the pond) however, it went on longer that usual, so I went to investigate. What did I find, my puppy playing with a very angry funnel web spider!!!!! Funnel web was squished into oblivion, puppy brought inside while I googled funnel webs and dogs (google is indeed your friend) was very relieved to find that dogs are nowhere near as affected as human to spider bites. I watched him for half an hour (he thought it was great being inside on the bed at 11pm!) and no ill effects. Scared the life out of me though!!!!!

It is possible for a site to become infested with red-back spiders, an "over-growth" in fact due to all the places human habitation provide for them. If they are appearing very regularly, please get a pest inspection, particularly under your house just to make sure you don't have a serious infestation.

We have cleaned out plenty of stored furniture from corners of the sheds, and I think disturbed whatever spiders were there. It's not too bad, but we definitely do turn on the shed lights now and don't let the dogs go inside before us.

Edited by turkishdelight